But It's Cost Effective

DFWFSC said:
AA ended up eating this one. The vendor 'AirServ' was using a AA hi-lift cabin service truck when they hit the 757, come to find out the truck had bad brakes. AA gse still services these trucks as they are still on AA's inventory list.
[post="278317"][/post]​

Thanks for the update. I forgot about the part that says sh*tcan hundreds of our AA workers and use our trucks doing it. :down: Yeah I'm sure they are still saying it's cost effective. :down:

Question....It has been said that these illegals, semi-legal, who knows what workers are also doing the security checks on the birds they clean, any truth to that?

Bob, you talking about the 8 people they allow to sweep one or two doors in air freight?
Yah, deft negotiating skills by the TWU.I'd rather have the UAW. :blink:

They are running out of work to give away.The fuelers here at LGA have no illusions, they know the TWU will douche them out in a second, the way they douched the bus drivers at Kennedy before concessions...

You know whats really a shame? The way the TWU shafted its own membership in title II when they gave that work away in 1995.People with 20 years having to transfer into title III and be junior to the kid still on probation hired last week.

They agreed to give TWA at least 25% of their seniority, but AA employees with decades of service get screwed."You have to go to TUL if you want to keep your job, go to title III fleet service with no time and get laid off,or retire".

Yeah, union my ass...

So, if it was indeed bad brakes, was that piece of ground equipment maintained by an outsourced vendor, or a TWU represented GSE mechanic?

Former ModerAAtor said:
So, if it was indeed bad brakes, was that piece of ground equipment maintained by an outsourced vendor, or a TWU represented GSE mechanic?
[post="278981"][/post]​

Not sure who maintains them now that AA allows the vendors to use AA's trucks. One thing for sure, you would be hardpressed to find any trucks that don't have some fault in them. In fact I am willing to bet that at any station where we have trucks, less than 20% of them would pass a state inspection.

AMFAMAN said:
Thanks for the update. I forgot about the part that says sh*tcan hundreds of our AA workers and use our trucks doing it. :down: Yeah I'm sure they are still saying it's cost effective. :down:

Question....It has been said that these illegals, semi-legal, who knows what workers are also doing the security checks on the birds they clean, any truth to that?
[post="278424"][/post]​

In SAN OneSource cleans the a/c in Terminal One which is Southwest and Terminal two where AA is. The "team" of people who do AA gather in front of the terminal till their "Coach" or crew chief arrives. They then clean all 9 RON a/c. No breaks, just go from one to another. I believe they are paid up to 6 hours but since they don't take breaks they are done in about 5 or less hours. They get paid for only the time they are here.

The "Coach" does the security check and places a signed sheet stating as such on the Captains yoke. I do not know what a security check consists of. I do know I have not seen this person open panels, doors when they are on the a/c I am assigned to.

Do you get what you pay for? I think so.

Ken MacTiernan said:
In SAN OneSource cleans the a/c in Terminal One which is Southwest and Terminal two where AA is. The "team" of people who do AA gather in front of the terminal till their "Coach" or crew chief arrives. They then clean all 9 RON a/c. No breaks, just go from one to another. I believe they are paid up to 6 hours but since they don't take breaks they are done in about 5 or less hours. They get paid for only the time they are here.

The "Coach" does the security check and places a signed sheet stating as such on the Captains yoke. I do not know what a security check consists of. I do know I have not seen this person open panels, doors when they are on the a/c I am assigned to.

[post="278995"][/post]​
Read this article about security checks...
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/200...s/20364792.html

AMFAMAN said:
Read this article about security checks...
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/200...s/20364792.html
[post="279007"][/post]​

It's a good article that illustrated a problem that was prevalent in the industry 2 1/2 years ago (published 12/31/2002). Do you have any more current sources? I know the aircraft I get on to each morning have much better security practices including tamper-evident tapes on removable panels, etc. Still, it's all for show and always will be as long as we're in the business of transporting members of the general public and their possessions. If we could only get rid of the passengers ... :rolleyes:

Former ModerAAtor said:
[post="278981"][/post]​
Irrespective of who maintained the equipment, the brakes should be tested at the start of the shift. Also, as per AA regulations, a 50 foot stop and an 8 foot stop is required when approaching an aircraft.

Ken MacTiernan said:

[post="278995"][/post]​

Is that any worse than what goes on in the AA Fleet Service stations where we get on in the morning to find that the cleaners, actual AA employees, couldn't be bothered to put away the cups (leaving them in bags on galley counters), or don't bother restocking the lavatories (leaving WRAPPED stacks of towels on the counter)? Never mind the crap that is left on the floors and seats.

IF AA Cabin Service is somehow protesting their working conditions by doing less, they are screwing themselves out of jobs, and showing the company how, perhaps, we don't need AA employees performing these functions. After all, if the job is going to be done in a crappy manner, why not just outsource it and have other people's employees do a crappy job CHEAPER?

Same goes for flight attendants. I see too many of my coworkers trying to get by doing less and less. How can we possibly fight for increased staffing and improved rest when we demonstrate to the company how little we can get away doing?