Buying cheap tickets on AA

What is the main reason people buy the Prius, other than giving themsleves a warm fuzzy feeling. They buy it for the gas mileage. My point is if that's what is really important then it's more economical to buy something like a Yaris, Fit, ION, Aveo etc.
Why'd I buy one. Fuel savings - sure. But I needed something that could carry three other passengers (four in a pinch)...just like my Chrysler 300M. I found that I could haul "cargo" by folding down one or both sides of the rear seat...it handles my two labs (both weigh in at 72 pounds). My Prius took me, my daughter, two dogs, their kennels and our suitcases down to my BIL's farm last 4th of July. Sure a Yaris can get good mileage.. but it couldn't have done much more than that.

But I wonder...if a couple of inches of shoulder room aren't worth seven grand, how come people are willing to pay $50+ grand on an SUV that they are the sole occupant of 99% of the time? I mean, that's a LOT more than a Yaris..and they both get you from point A to point B....

Why'd I buy one. Fuel savings - sure. But I needed something that could carry three other passengers (four in a pinch)...just like my Chrysler 300M. I found that I could haul "cargo" by folding down one or both sides of the rear seat...it handles my two labs (both weigh in at 72 pounds). My Prius took me, my daughter, two dogs, their kennels and our suitcases down to my BIL's farm last 4th of July. Sure a Yaris can get good mileage.. but it couldn't have done much more than that.

But I wonder...if a couple of inches of shoulder room aren't worth seven grand, how come people are willing to pay $50+ grand on an SUV that they are the sole occupant of 99% of the time? I mean, that's a LOT more than a Yaris..and they both get you from point A to point B....

Because they have lots of money (or lots of credit and no brains)?