CANADA, AYE!

coolflyingfool

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
It looks like SWA is getting close to announcing a codeshare to Canada, according to the Chicago Tribune and a quote for Gary Kelly himself. The article kind of makes it sound like the deal is done, just waiting to announce it sometime this summer. I guess that would be NOW. C'mon and spill the beans Gary, or should I say LaBatts Blue. Take off you hoser!

It looks like SWA is getting close to announcing a codeshare to Canada, according to the Chicago Tribune and a quote for Gary Kelly himself. The article kind of makes it sound like the deal is done, just waiting to announce it sometime this summer. I guess that would be NOW. C'mon and spill the beans Gary, or should I say LaBatts Blue. Take off you hoser!
WestJet out of MDW, maybe? We'll see! :up:

Why doesn't WN jus fly it themselves? US.-Canada flying entails a minimum of paperwork/regulation. When you return from your great layover, you clear U.S. Customs and Immigration at the airport in Canada; so, there is no need for the special labrynthine jetbridges and hallways that direct inbound International customers to them upon arrival back in the U.S.

Why doesn't WN jus fly it themselves? US.-Canada flying entails a minimum of paperwork/regulation. When you return from your great layover, you clear U.S. Customs and Immigration at the airport in Canada; so, there is no need for the special labrynthine jetbridges and hallways that direct inbound International customers to them upon arrival back in the U.S.

Finally. I've been ranting aboot :lol: a Southwest-Westjet codeshare for a while.

I would guess since Westjet already flies to USA it would be easier & cheaper & faster for Westjet to begin service to SW hubs (hello MDW? & BWI?). At the same time it would be nice to see SW aircraft in YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR.

The WestJet buyout has been a long rumor, a codeshare will work well...along with a buyout or codeshare with someone flying to Mexico and the Caribbean.

DALLAS, July 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines today announced its intention to build a codeshare partnership with Canadian carrier WestJet. The two airlines have completed the first step in creating a relationship that will eventually allow the carriers to offer Customers a seamless travel experience to a wide array of destinations. This initial agreement puts the two airlines on a path toward bringing more low fares and a better Customer experience across the U.S./Canadian border. The airlines plan to announce codeshare flight schedules and additional features regarding the partnership by late 2009. Certain details of the codeshare and elements of the partnership are subject to approvals by both the U.S. and Canadian governments.

"A company's dedication to Culture and Customer Service are very high on our priority list when considering a relationship of any kind," said Southwest Airlines Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly. "We are confident that we've found a perfect fit with WestJet, and we are excited to work toward opening our expansive U.S. network to include Canadian destinations."

WestJet was founded in 1996 as a western Canadian regional carrier with three aircraft flying to five cities. Today, WestJet is Canada's leading high-value, low-fare airline, offering scheduled service to 49 destinations in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The airline operates a fleet of 75 Boeing Next-Generation 737-series aircraft.

"This is a defining moment for WestJet. Clearly, we are delivering on our strategic plan with this announcement today. It marks an important step forward for our guests and their ability to fly to more destinations in the United States conveniently and cost effectively," said WestJet President and CEO Sean Durfy. "When you examine our network in Canada and Southwest's network in the United States, and the potential to significantly improve both organization's market access, this is indeed a great day."

The WestJet buyout has been a long rumor, a codeshare will work well...along with a buyout or codeshare with someone flying to Mexico and the Caribbean.
US-West are experts in Int'l travel. They fly frequently to Mexico so they could code share. Already got big presence at PHX. Oh wait, WN wants Good Management acquitanances, so that leaves out US. :eek:

WOW,.............this is......"DYNO--MITE" !

The (wn) guy from SAN..............can go to BGI(Barbados)....with a Quick Connection/Layover....in.........."TORONTO"... :shock: :blink: :wub:

You may be missing the point of the codeshare NHBB. SW is already a formidable airline (competitor) - whether it is financially or operationally or from a customer service point of view or forward-thinking management, etc. This code-share will bring in money (increased revenue). The increased revenue will make SW a stronger competitor.

SW-haters were saying that SW profits are all due to fuel hedging, that this is a one-trick poney, and that once the hedges run out the playing field will be leveled. Well guess what? SW just tilted the playing field in their favor. With the increased fuel costs all other carriers are focussing mainly on cutting costs but not doing much to increase revenues (OK - to increase revenue some are charging for luggage and increasing fees, etc.).

The Westjet-SW codeshare will not bring in hundreds of millions overnight, but it is a start. The next logical step is to bring into the code-share an overseas carrier (i.e. could airberlin be interested?). The day is coming when "international" will not be the bread and butter of the legacies. Actually even today there are trans-Atlantic routes that are offering pretty low fares.

I'm not saying that SW-Westjet codeshare will be the end of the *alliance or 1-world or sky team. And certainly SW (or LCC service) is not for everyone. But with this code-share SW should be an even stronger competitor in the future.

"F F 2.0",

I was just being "difficult" !

In all actuality, it's a very good move by WN.

I'm a BIG fan of Everything CANADA, and I've been watching West Jet for some time.

Gary Kelly(at this point in time) could NOT have made a better move !!