Carty Reduces Amr To.........

buhbye

Advanced
Jan 16, 2004
Visit site
Don Carty former CEO of AMR ran this company into the ground, shifted more money than imaginable, and yet is allowed to go about his life like nothing happened.
Why is he above any of the other executives at World Com, Enron etc.
Where is the justice for the employees?

Carty lied to the unions and his own BOD. What were the consequences beyond losing his job?

Don Carty flew this airline's employee morale into the ground while he was CEO. in 18+ years of service I have never seen worse employee/management relations.Don Carty tore down everything in half the time that it took Robert Crandall to build it. RC could be one tough cookie at contract time but you could count on him telling you where he stood.Don Carty and his boys did things in secret and tried to keep it from the employees.[Do not forget that Gerard Arpey was CFO when they were trying to hide their special retirement fund from the contract concessions table] It is obvious they wanted the concessions sealed before the SEC filing which disclosed their dirty little secret.AMR board of directors did not make any significant changes in the management and they want us to trust them.[Ha!Ha!] They did not even remove Don Carty from the Board of Directors which tells me they were not interested in real change just window dressing.I hope that some day the AA management can come clean with the employees and rebuild good relations with the employees but I don't know if it will happen in my remaining time at AA.

L1011Ret said:
Carty lied to the unions and his own BOD. What were the consequences beyond losing his job?
I don't believe he lied to the BOD. Heck, he didn't have to lie to them. They were and are a bunch of yes-men. They were selected to nod their heads and rubber stamp anything put before them by the CEO. They are equally complicit in the deception. It was all planned and scripted ahead of time.

I believe a major player on the BOD asked Carty if he had told the unions. Carty as I recall stated that he had done so. Yes, RC was a nasty SOB, but as you pointed out, there was never any difficulty knowing where he was coming from or what his position was. In that sense you knew what you were dealing with for better or worse.

WW, you are right on the money there.

And what Carty did was not criminal. That's why he's not being prosecuted. What he did was clearly unethical, but you can't be put in prison for simply unethical behavior.

However, what Carty did he is certainly liable for (i.e., civil, not criminal court). AA shareholders should be holding him accountable for his actions, and sue him, along with the board of directors. It's a shame more shareholders don't hold the top managers accountable.

L1011Ret said:
Soon Carty will be called to give depositions in the upcoming suits. If he is caught in one lie, he can be charged with perjury. And some of the questions he will be asked, if he is truthful, could also land him in hot water.

Ah, the if he is truthful part...if Martha had told the truth in the beginning or knowing she was in hot water, fessed up before being charged, she would probably have paid a fine and gotten probation. As other posts on this board state, lying becomes a crime only in certain circumstances.

goingboeing said:
Don Carty flew this airline's employee morale into the ground while he was CEO. in 18+ years of service I have never seen worse employee/management relations.Don Carty tore down everything in half the time that it took Robert Crandall to build it.
The morale was well on it's way down before Carty. Crandall got out while in good times. Carty inherited the position we are in...

L1011Ret said:
Ah, the if he is truthful part...if Martha had told the truth in the beginning or knowing she was in hot water, fessed up before being charged, she would probably have paid a fine and gotten probation. As other posts on this board state, lying becomes a crime only in certain circumstances.
How about the DOL?? :ph34r:

capeman said:
The morale was well on it's way down before Carty. Crandall got out while in good times. Carty inherited the position we are in...
Robert Crandall use to visit Tulsa M&E on a regular basis when he was CEO.Don Carty rarely visited Tulsa M&E during his tenure as CEO.Robert Crandall had the respect of the rank and file employees in TULE although he was not well liked at contract time.Don Carty never earned this type of respect.In 1988 when George Bush was running for president he,Robert Crandall,and Henry Bellmon[Ok Governor] came to Hangar 1A in Tulsa.When they were introduced RC received the biggest applause by far and most of the people were rank and file union members.RC was RESPECTED whether or not he was liked.DC never earned this respect and had to resign because he was not truthful with the employees.From a TULE employees perpsective Don Carty wrecked this airline, not Robert Crandall.

L1011Ret said:
woztwa - I think there is reason to believe DOL will step in.
Captain Chamberlin, do you really think that a Department run by a far right-wing Republican woman will even consider intervening in the injustices that have been done? After all, she was the major proponent for the attempt to change the Wage and Hour law regulations to deny overtime pay to millions of "white collar" workers.

In the current governmental environment, I doubt that you are going to get any response from the DOL other than "Ugh, Management good. Labor bad." Has Ken Lay of Enron fame--who just happens to be a close personal friend of the Bush family--even been indicted?

Andrew Fastow and his wife--both Enron miscreants--get to serve non-consecutive sentences so that one of them will be available to care for their children. It's not something I wildly object to, but it is a violation of the Federal sentencing guidelines. Those same guidelines that Attorney-General John Ashcroft says are being violated every time some minor drug offender who happens to be a minority is given less than the maximum by those liberal, probably Communist judges not appointed by Shrub.

But...
Don't get me started. :lol: