Changes at Sky Harbor

notquiteUS

Feb 4, 2010
Guess?
Gate Reconfiguration- "U.S Airways will be working with the city of Phoenix to restructure the gate areas at Terminal 4. Because the company is phasing out use of the B737 fleet the 737 only gates will no longer be of use. As such each gate will be repainted and modified to except our Airbus fleet. During the next few months and into the coming year there will be several people on the field surveying and monitoring the ramp area."

I've heard surveyors have been spotted. I am pleased this process has started and the 737s will soon be gone.

Gate Reconfiguration- "U.S Airways will be working with the city of Phoenix to restructure the gate areas at Terminal 4. Because the company is phasing out use of the B737 fleet the 737 only gates will no longer be of use. As such each gate will be repainted and modified to except our Airbus fleet. During the next few months and into the coming year there will be several people on the field surveying and monitoring the ramp area."

I've heard surveyors have been spotted. I am pleased this process has started and the 737s will soon be gone.
Thank god! Those things should have been turned into beer cans a long time ago!

What the deuce? Gotta learn how to reply! Well anyway, the West 737 fleet may need to be retired, I wouldn't know I'm an East person, but I can say the East 737 fleet still got legs. We get 737-400's all day and those 144 seats are full coming and going. Acft are painted with leather interiors, I would say are, overall, in good shape. Remember when dealing with Usairways you must specify East or West. Merger (5yrs) pending. PS Did you see Mr. Parker on CNBC yesterday? The Money Honey Maria B ask him a question about pilot pay. WOW he's good, dodged it like a politician.

I think that anyone expecting the 737's to be gone in the near future is going to be disappointed. As you said, the -400's will be around for a while - there were 40 of them after the merger and there are still 40 of them. The -300's are on the way out, however, having gone from 59 after the merger to 19 currently. Since the -400's don't get to PHX it makes sense to reconfigure the gates there to handle the little Airbuses.

Jim

Let me say right up front that I have never been a fan of the 737. That said, I don't mind the 737-400 at all since they have been "tempied" up a bit. They certainly are cleaner and thank God that damn cart with baskets are gone. WHY on earth though they can't get the air to work on the 737 in the summer. It most certainly IS a US thing because on Southwest their air vents will blow you out of your seat. Well that and the yellow lighting that just make you look oh so fabulous. :rolleyes:

I believe the current count of west -200s in 12 and all go back in 2011, replaced by 12 A321's.

The 40 East 400s are not going anywhere.

Easiest way to tell when the 737s will be gone is to see when their leases are up. The current US doesn't seem to sunset planes until the leases are actually up. The US of 10 years ago grounded lots of planes while still paying for them, which got cleaned up during BK # 1.

West actually operated 100's and 200's. 100's retired in the 90's and 200's retired in early 2000 prior to the merger.

I fondly remember signing the last -200 when it was parked at A5 for it's last day. Got the little wall between the galley and then on the #2 engine. It was so fun working that plane that day, as it was so covered in autographs from every station it went to the last few days. LOL

Reactions: 2 people
What the deuce? Gotta learn how to reply! Well anyway, the West 737 fleet may need to be retired, I wouldn't know I'm an East person, but I can say the East 737 fleet still got legs. We get 737-400's all day and those 144 seats are full coming and going. Acft are painted with leather interiors, I would say are, overall, in good shape. Remember when dealing with Usairways you must specify East or West. Merger (5yrs) pending. PS Did you see Mr. Parker on CNBC yesterday? The Money Honey Maria B ask him a question about pilot pay. WOW he's good, dodged it like a politician.

Seriously? Good Shape??? I recently flew on a E-734, and it was horendous. The side plastic walls, besides being faded into a "smokers" yellowish white, were loose, in the four rows I could see, 3 of the window shades were inoperable, or just crooked, and the one in my row was not, and could not, get back into the track. The overhead bin above my row needed the delicate touch and right closing position from the F/A to close, and this was not an overstuffed bin. Plus the bins are 20 yrs old, which means they are small, narrow, and shallow, and unable to accomodate most of the flying publics carryon luggage today. I was on a 25yr old Kenyan Airways 732 which was cleaner, and in better condition.

With regards to the seats, Row 4 bulkhead was the worst thing ever, narrow, and NO legroom. And the older 1st class seats, which in my opinion were the more comfortable gray seats, with taller backings, and contoured tops for your head, and with cushier bottoms, were removed and replaced with the "new" blue seats which offer no real cushion, shorter overall backs, and now less leg room. Just a complete disgrace. Those older gray F seats were perfect for cross country flights back in the day, and I was disapointed when the first round of new Airbus came out with those hard cushioned F seats. Only bonus was the slot for the water bottle, which they dont give you now anyway. The F seats in the West Airbus are much better; height and countoured adjustable headrest are simple nice perk to any F seat. Some US airlines offer these adjustable headrests in every coach seat as well. Best domestic coach chair was/is Frontier, which I havent flown in a couple of years. Not only did the seats recline, but the bottoms moved forward to provide a better overall seating position, and the head rests adjusted height wise, and you could contour for sleeping.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts