Charles E. Taylor U.s. Postage Stamp

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
Greetings everyone. I am once again writing to you to inform you of the Aircraft Maintenance Technicians Association's, AMTA, www.amtausa.com, efforts to better promote the craft and profession of the Aircraft Maintenance Technician. It is the AMTA's goal of having the United States Post Office select Charles E. Taylor as a candidate for a U.S. Postage Stamp. In order for this to happen a letter must be submitted to the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee, (CSAC), which on behalf of the Postmaster General is tasked with evaluating the merits of all stamp proposals.
The CSAC is composed of 15 members whose backgrounds reflect a wide range of educational, artistic, historical and professional expertise. The AMTA is submitting a letter, (see attached letter), to the CSAC. The process for selecting a stamp has several criteria to meet and the AMTA feels that Mr. Taylor meets everyone necessary to be selected. This will not happen over night. The earliest a stamp with Charlie's image can be made is at least the year 2006.
I would like to ask everyone reading this e-mail to please take the time to write a similar letter to the CSAC requesting that they consider Charles E. Taylor's place in aviation's history when selecting their candidates for becoming a U.S. Postage Stamp. The address for the CSAC is, Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee, c/o Stamp Development, U.S. Postal Service, 475 L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Room 5670, Washington DC 20260-2437.
Of the 15 members on the CSAC I have been able to locate mailing addresses for several of them. Writing to these individuals would also be helpful. They are:

Ronald A. Robinson
Former Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Cranford, Johnson, Robinson, Woods
303 West Capitol Avenue
Little Rock Arkansas 72201

Director John M. Hotchner
Office of Passport Policy & Advisory Services
2100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
3RD Floor
Washington DC 20037

Maria E. Santana
Division President/Executive Creative Director
Parham/Santana, Inc.
7 West 18th Street
New York NY 10011

Dr. C. Douglas Lewis
Curator of Sculptor and Decorative Arts
National Gallery of Art
2000B South Club Drive
Landover MD 20785

Dr. Virginia M. Noelke
Historian & Professor of History
Angelo State University
2601 West Avenue North
San Angelo TX 76909

I. Michael Heyman
Chancellor Emeritus
University of California, Berkely
Chancellor & Professor Law and Interim Director of CSHE
453 Boalt Hall
Berkeley CA 94720-7200

Also contacting your respective Congressman and Senator to write to the CSAC on behalf of Charles E. Taylor would be helpful. The AMTA would be grateful for any assistance in getting a U.S. Postage Stamp with Charlie's image. It was because of Mr. Taylor's knowledge, skill & integrity that enabled him to build the first engines for the Wright Flyer and hence the creation of Air Mail. It seems only fitting that he be recognized for his contributions to not only aviation's history but to our Country's history as well. Please forward this e-mail to others so we may garner as much support as possible. Thank you. Sincerely, Ken MacTiernan Director AMTA

"AMFA IS NOT THE ANSWER"

Attachments

• matrix12.gif
    matrix12.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 182
Thank you for the support and kind words for the AMTA's campaign to have a U.S. Postage Stamp with Charles E. Taylor's image.

The AMTA has written to all 66 Mmebers of the Aviation Subcommittee.

The AMTA has also written to all 50 State Governors as well as the Governors of the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam and American Samoa.

If you wish to help in having a stamp with Charles E. Taylor's image to bring recognition for his contributitions to aviation you may contact your State's Governor. The web site for this information is www.nga.org.governors. There is a link for Governor's Addresses.

You may also go to www.house.gov/transportation/aviation and commerce.senate.gov/subcommittees/aviation.cfm to find members of these aviation subcommittees.

A simple letter asking these individuals to write to the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee on behalf of Charles E. Taylor and the AMTA to respectfully review our letter for Mr. Taylor's selection to become a U. S. Postage Stamp candidate would be welcomed. Thank you for your support. Sincerely, Ken MacTiernan Director AMTA

An update: The AMTA has received tow more letters of support to help get Charles E. Taylor's image on a U.S. Postage Stamp. The new letters are from the Governor's Office of Wyoming and American Samoa. Our thanks go to Governors Dave Freudenthal and Togiola T.A. Tulafono. I have been offered an opportunity to write an article for "Heroes & Legends" magazine which is a publication of the National Aviation Hall of Fame Museum talking about our efforts to get this stamp to become a reality. The magazine should come out in the end of June.

If you have not written to the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee expressing your desire to see this stamp be made and wish to contact the CSAC e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Ken MacTiernan Director AMTA

Ken MacTiernan said:
An update: The AMTA has received tow more letters of support to help get Charles E. Taylor's image on a U.S. Postage Stamp. The new letters are from the Governor's Office of Wyoming and American Samoa. Our thanks go to Governors Dave Freudenthal and Togiola T.A. Tulafono. I have been offered an opportunity to write an article for "Heroes & Legends" magazine which is a publication of the National Aviation Hall of Fame Museum talking about our efforts to get this stamp to become a reality. The magazine should come out in the end of June.

If you have not written to the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee expressing your desire to see this stamp be made and wish to contact the CSAC e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Ken MacTiernan Director AMTA
Ken why don't you worry about what Delle is doing to the UAL retiree's medical, the retired mechanics part of it anyway? I hope the AFA and the Pilots preserve their benefits and enhance them.

Or is this a typical conservative move to distract individuals from what is really important?

j7915 said:
Ken why don't you worry about what Delle is doing to the UAL retiree's medical, the retired mechanics part of it anyway? I hope the AFA and the Pilots preserve their benefits and enhance them.

Or is this a typical conservative move to distract individuals from what is really important?
Why are you more concerned about Uniteds retirees than our fellow workers here at AA who thanks to the TWU have been paying for their retiree benifits for over 15 years?

The fact is that the TWU is the enemy of the A&P. They have done everything they can to diminish the profession.

J7915, this thread was about Charles Taylor,not the retirees at United! There is another thread for discussing the UAL situation! If you had half a brain,you would see that AMFA got the mechanics+related retirees a better deal than the retiree "coalition" is gonna get by the bankruptcy court in the UAL case. The retiree "coalition" says AMFA negotiated too early. How so, when the "coalition" agreed to give 300 million dollars to UAL before their so called financial advisors have completed their reports?! The retiree "coalition" dug their own grave and was dragging the UAL mechanic+related retirees in with them. AMFA stepped in and kept the mechanic+related retirees from being buried alive.

A note about Charles Taylor: Many other inventors were working along the same lines as the Wright brothers were. The Wright Flyer was basically just a glider. It was the engine built by Charles Taylor that turned it into an airplane!

j7915 said:

j7915, please try to keep comments of other threads on those links. I started this thread to keep others informed of the AMTA's progress in promoting our craft and profession.

This thread has NOTHING to do with AMFA/iam/or twu. If you wish to ask me directly how I feel ask me on the appropriate thread or PM me.

By the way j7915, have you taken the time to write to the CSAC telling them how you feel a stamp with Charles E. Taylor's image is long over due?

Ken, just sent an E-mail to Gov. Holden in Missouri, Hope it will help the drive for the stamp. As slow as they work on some of these issues, stamps might be up to 50 cents each. That means it will cost me over $2000 to cover the wall in my office! Thanks for the info on how to contact our local and state officals. Ken, Keep up the good work. You're a good person!

The AMTA received a letter of support from Senator Barbara Boxer. Although she has wrote how the stamp process is structured, which we knew, she wrote, "Please be assured that I will share your views with the Advisory Committee."
The more concerned voices that call on the CSAC for recognition of Charles E. Taylor the better the chances of having the stamp made. And with the production of a stamp with Charlie's image the larger audience we will be able to reach in educating about our proud profession.

Ken MacTiernan said:
j7915, please try to keep comments of other threads on those links. I started this thread to keep others informed of the AMTA's progress in promoting our craft and profession.

This thread has NOTHING to do with AMFA/iam/or twu. If you wish to ask me directly how I feel ask me on the appropriate thread or PM me.

By the way j7915, have you taken the time to write to the CSAC telling them how you feel a stamp with Charles E. Taylor's image is long over due?
NO.

j7915 said:
Like most Tulsa twu faithfull, j7915 is in his own twu world. It is harrowing what this union they call "Americans Real Stength" has done to our craft.

My letter to CSAC is in the mail Ken.

Thank you for promoting our AMT craft through the AMTA.