Child's temper tantrum gets family thrown off plane

KC, If I understand correctly, they were on a RSW/BOS Flight. We don't do in-state flights in FLA so the RSW/MCO leg doesn't fly, but I will check our schedule to see if there is a non-stop. As for previous surgery, this is the first I've heard of that and one would have to wonder....
I made an assumption that they flew RSW-MCO...the article didn't say. I guess they may well have flown into MCO and then drove to RSW...the article said they were in Fort Meyers and denied boarding in Orlando. Either way, I think it's foolish to take a kid on a plane just weeks after ear surgery.

I made an assumption that they flew RSW-MCO...the article didn't say. I guess they may well have flown into MCO and then drove to RSW...the article said they were in Fort Meyers and denied boarding in Orlando. Either way, I think it's foolish to take a kid on a plane just weeks after ear surgery.
For once we agree!!!! :D Dang Website is Kablink so I can't check schedules. You're probably correct, MCO-BOS.

This story made Chicago radio and the Tribune.

The 101.9 morning jocks were 100% behind Airtran, and mentioned how it is travelling with their own children (for those of you about to go there). <_<

The informal Tribune poll has more than 91% of the respondants saying the airline did the right thing.

The only error, in this whole topic, are the people who assume that WNr speaks for SWA. :rolleyes:
MOrning drive radio in Miami had the same outcome. 100% for the airline and road trip for the family.

Did anyone else watch the parents being interviewed? The kid wouldn't sit still for that either. She was climbing on the back of the couch and running around. Just thought it was interesting given the reason they were on tv to begin with. :blink:

Also from AirTrans Contract of Carriage.....
Refusal to Transport.
7). If a passenger's conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or the passenger:
a) n/a
B) n/a
c) Refuses to obey instructions from any flight crewmember.
d) n/a
e) n/a
f) n/a
g) Is unable to sit in a seat with the seat belt fastened.
Looks like they had every right to deny. Too bad they offered compensation above and beyond refunding their ticket or providing alternate flights. Makes it look like FL did something wrong and the parents are on the news anyway. (Not really sure what for, unless they are gunning for more $).

Too bad they offered compensation above and beyond refunding their ticket or providing alternate flights. Makes it look like FL did something wrong and the parents are on the news anyway. (Not really sure what for, unless they are gunning for more $).
I agree with this. They should never offer compensation. The only time would be if they denied boarding and refused to carry them on another flight...refund the money paid for the fare and that's it.

But while they are on national TV talking about how bad Airtran is...well...money talks and bullsh!t walks. I would hope that Airtran takes them at their word that they will "never fly them again"...and put their names into the system to refuse to carry them on any future flight...ever . Then...the next BOS-MCO sale that is offered, they are forced to live up to their vow of "never flying them again".

Did anyone else watch the parents being interviewed? The kid wouldn't sit still for that either. She was climbing on the back of the couch and running around. Just thought it was interesting given the reason they were on tv to begin with. :blink:

Also from AirTrans Contract of Carriage.....
Refusal to Transport.
7). If a passenger's conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or the passenger:
a) n/a
B) n/a
c) Refuses to obey instructions from any flight crewmember.
d) n/a
e) n/a
f) n/a
g) Is unable to sit in a seat with the seat belt fastened.
Looks like they had every right to deny. Too bad they offered compensation above and beyond refunding their ticket or providing alternate flights. Makes it look like FL did something wrong and the parents are on the news anyway. (Not really sure what for, unless they are gunning for more $).
IMHO, they can 'Gun' for all the $ they want but I wouldn't let these folks back if they wanted. FL tries to make amends when called for. This was un-called for. I guess about 85 - 90% folks agree, according to the Polls I read today. Perhaps they should move to Milwaukee and get a fresh baked Chocolate Cookie that breaks off in your hand when you try to take a bite and watch it stain your Beige Dockers. I'll take Chips and a Cold beer any day. :D But that's just me.....

Hey the crew was just following FAA rules - over 2 and belted in or you do not take off - doesn't matter if your 3 or 50. I am tired of seeing parents who cannot control their kids think that everyone else should have to put up with their unruly behavior. If I were those parents I would be embarrassed to go on national news and play the "poor us" card. GOOD CALL by the crew and I'm sure everyone who made it to their destinations/connections feels the same way. :up:
Agree! And maybe Airtran should offer a "Class in Parenting" for these obvious travelling misfits. Personally I would like to b*tch slap the mother for being the typical whiny "But what did you want me to do.....she is only 3.....yaddayadda.....". Congrats to Airtran for taking a STAND that many spineless politically correct organizations AVOID like the plague. And the Public SUPPORTS YOU! :up:

Agree! And maybe Airtran should offer a "Class in Parenting" for these obvious travelling misfits. Personally I would like to b*tch slap the mother for being the typical whiny "But what did you want me to do.....she is only 3.....yaddayadda.....". Congrats to Airtran for taking a STAND that many spineless politically correct organizations AVOID like the plague. And the Public SUPPORTS YOU! :up:
AstroLounge, excellent point. maybe we can combine classes with WN so no 'Runaways" and/or 'Misfits' are allowed boarding. That might include some Parents!

But while they are on national TV talking about how bad Airtran is...well...money talks and bullsh!t walks. I would hope that Airtran takes them at their word that they will "never fly them again"...and put their names into the system to refuse to carry them on any future flight...ever . Then...the next BOS-MCO sale that is offered, they are forced to live up to their vow of "never flying them again".
Don't count on it KC. Years ago, a group of F/As approached me and my crew at our gate to warn us about a pax that was going to be on our flight. This lady had been so belligerent on her flt. into ATL that the F/As from her previous flt. went out of their way to find us and warn us. I asked the gate agt. to check the lady's name in the computer to see if she had any "history" (documented incidents, etc.). This lady had been tossed off 13 AirTran flts. in the past. :shock: This, of course, does not include how many times she was ejected from other airlines; just AirTran. The gate agt. informed me that the company will document the customer's behavior, but still "needs their money". Again, this was years ago, and I can only hope we don't need anyone's $ that bad now. Hopefully, we can now focus our efforts on preventing athletes from attempting to board while possessing H20 bottles with secret compartments...

From the Chicago Sun Times

Aisle, window or out the door?
(http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/228078,CST-EDT-edits25b.article)

January 25, 2007

One can only wonder what W.C. Field's response to the great AirTran meltdown would have been. He's the guy who famously declared, "Children should neither be seen nor heard from." But even many of us who are warm and cuddly toward toddlers would have sided with the airline's ejection of a couple and their 3-year-girl after the child's 9.5 magnitude tantrum wouldn't abate and she couldn't be put in her seat -- or pried from under it -- prior to takeoff.

The parents were shocked over being asked to leave the plane and being denied more time to calm her down. But it's easy to understand AirTran's desire not to delay further a plane full of passengers, some of whom may have had their flight anxieties pushed to the limits.

We weren't there, so we can't assess the tone of the flight crew's remonstrations to Gerry Kulesza when they said, "Sir, you need to get her under control" and "Sir, you need to get off the plane." We can't assess the Kuleszas' response, though mom Julie's remark that "it wasn't like she had a bomb strapped to her waist" leaves us thinking it wasn't a civil exchange.

In any case, rules are rules. As it is, AirTran not only reimbursed the Kuleszas the cost of the tickets, it offered them three free tickets to the destination of their choosing. They said they'd never fly AirTran again, but we expect airline passengers everywhere are applauding AirTran.

I disagree. This was a bad call by Airtran. Nationwide negative publicity in primtime news.

Nothing is worth that. :down: :down: :down:

I don't see this as negative publicity at all. AirTran has received mega-dollars of free PR by having this story run on network TV and in probably every market in America ...plus probably 90% of the people support AirTran's position. I think it's working out great for them. The longer the parent's continue to make a big deal out of this...the more free PR AirTran gets.

Benadryl the kid!

How many times a day does this situation happen (unruly kids delaying departure) and we never hear about the incident from the media???

This family should be blacklisted from ALL domestic airlines for being idiots and impeding interstate commerce and jeopardizing security....

And if the plane started to taxi with them still onboard and the brakes were hit and the unrestrained little girl had been thrown to the ground, I have no doubt those parents would have been screaming for a lawyer before requesting medical attn if their out of control kid was hurt.

Finally an airline with guts.......for those of us who travel the "touristy" destinations a lot,this is a great thing, as we are used to dealing with episodes like this all the time to some degree.MCO/TPA being the worst of course due to the Disney crowd.I wish someone had corralled several small ones on a recent MCO/DFW flight, they ran aisles of the MD-80 for a lot of the flight. The F/A's gritted their teeth and didn't say much, but all of us wished they had.The parents were oblivious to all.Now maybe that AAirline's crews will be bolder next time.Here's hoping all airlines take a cue from this and get tough.Note:I am a parent and would never have allowed my kids to do that.Frankly they enjoyed flying when they were small and happy flyers even at 3.

Finally an airline with guts.......for those of us who travel the "touristy" destinations a lot,this is a great thing, as we are used to dealing with episodes like this all the time to some degree.MCO/TPA being the worst of course due to the Disney crowd.I wish someone had corralled several small ones on a recent MCO/DFW flight, they ran aisles of the MD-80 for a lot of the flight. The F/A's gritted their teeth and didn't say much, but all of us wished they had.The parents were oblivious to all.Now maybe that AAirline's crews will be bolder next time.Here's hoping all airlines take a cue from this and get tough.Note:I am a parent and would never have allowed my kids to do that.Frankly they enjoyed flying when they were small and happy flyers even at 3.
autoplaneguy... It's not so much 'guts' as it is staying within Regulatory Compliance. All 121 Air Carriers are bound to this and FL just followed the rules. Not to dis-credit your post at all, I just wanted to point this out. I agree with you on the rest as it seems some parents have no control over their children. Public Dining is a most prominent example. Makes you wonder who needs to be slapped, the kid or the parents.

Latest posts