Chip's Response To Cosmo

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Cosmo:

Cosmo asked: How can US Airways benefit from dragging out the PIT hub discussions (supposedly due to potential United replacement flying at DEN and elsewhere) when a resolution of that issue must, by definition, be reached by no later than January 5, 2004, at least two full months before United must file its POR with the bankruptcy court? And if United actually was planning to drop most or all of its DEN flying, why would it announce that its new LCO service will start there in February 2004?

Chip answers: If the parties agree to an asset sale, then this divestiture would be included in United’s POR, which must be filed before March 6. The POR can be filed at any time once United completes the required work, therefore, if an agreement is reached I suspect it would coincide with the January 5 Pittsburgh airport lease rejection. In addition, US Airways could extend its Pittsburgh leases on a month-to-month basis. In fact, on September 20 the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote, “Despite the best efforts of county and state negotiators, the airline's hub at Pittsburgh International could be doomed, (Allegheny County chief executive Jim) Roddey told a gathering of local business leaders yesterday at the St. Barnabas Health System's Kean Theatre in Richland. "We face losing the hub either way," Roddey said. "But we will keep it as long as we can."

Cosmo, I never said United was going to “drop most or all of its DEN flying.†If you remember, I said United could transfer to US Airways about 30 to 35% of its domestic ASMs. If that holds true, then United’s LCO and the Mainline would retain about 65% to 70% of its domestic ASMs.

Cosmo commented: “Chip continues to play “fast and loose†with some of the facts about United’s future. To give just one example, Chip claimed (or at least implied) that United received the 5-month extension to file its POR over the objections of the creditors committee. But according to today’s issue of Aviation Daily (as reliable a “source†as any of Chip’s), “United on Friday reached a deal with its creditors committee and the consortium of airports on a motion to extend the exclusivity period for filing its Chapter 11 reorganization plan for five months.†That means United faces no creditor POR or airport evictions until at least March 6, 2004. Not quite what Chip implied, is it?â€

Chip responds: Cosmo, I never implied anything. I simply quoted the USA Today and then asked a rhetorical question. Furthermore, you do not even know me, therefore, how do you know Aviation Daily is as reliable a “source†as any of mine? Aviation Daily is an excellent publication, but it reports public news the day after the event occurred. People like Steve Lott and Mike Miller are connected – but they rarely report “inside informationâ€. By the way, why don’t’ you ask them their opinion of the probability of a United fragmentation?

Regardless, United does have an exclusive period to file it’s POR, but how do you know that the creditor’s committee, DIP financiers, or airport consortium will not come up with its own business plan that the United board endorses that sells assets, especially since it appears no exit financing is available? Furthermore, who first posted on this message board that San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, and Chicago were part of the consortium of airports that were objecting to United’s demands and are these same airports part of the UCT?

Cosmo, let’s look at the facts:

ALPA International President Captain Duane Woerth addressed the US Airways MEC in open session for two hours on September 11. Woerth told the ALPA MEC that United has been unable to get anybody to provide exit financing, and the government has changed their loan guarantee demands three times. Cosmo, why is that?

The ATSB is the only form of exit financing available, Woerth said. Cosmo, how come no other financial source is willing to provide United with exit financing?.

Woerth told the MEC that United has been very close to violating the DIP covenants a number of times and the company had a little better summer than forecast. He is concerned about the airline financially this fall.

Susan Carey of the Wall Street Journal wrote on, Thursday, September 18, that “United wants to raise $2.5 billion in exit financingâ€, which is $500 million more than the previous $2.0 billion guarantee denied by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board. Carey said the amount depends on the company’s cash position and the price of the funding, quoting an unidentified source. Cosmo, if United’s business plan is progressing, why does the airline need more financing and debt?

Interestingly, Reuters reported on September 12 United chief executive officer Jake Brace said United may seek to raise more than $2 billion in financing through other means, but declined to specify in what form or through what capital markets. Cosmo, could that be provided by RSA (to acquire assets) similar in scope to what United did to Pan Am, so Pan Am could emerge from bankruptcy?

Finally, US Airways chairman of the board David Bronner previously speculated to Charlotte Observer business writer Ted Reed that United has a 50-50 chance of surviving. Bronner said that if United were to sell assets, he would consider backing the purchase of some “if it would be beneficial to US Airways.†What’s so hard to understand about Bronner’s comments?

Cosmo, do not “shoot the messenger†because you do not like the news, but there is nothing I posted above that is not true. Meanwhile, I suspect we will know more about this in the not-so-distant future.

Just like in US Airways' formal restructuring, it's
falling_bills_md_clr.gif
that talks and if RSA provides a deal that the creditor's like, then the United board and the court will likely be forced to accept the terms.

Respectfully,

Chip

Chip,

In defense of Cosmo, he is not shooting the messenger, he is questioning your statements and asking for clarification. Likewise, you do not know him, either, nor do you know with whom he has close contact.

Although you would like to be viewed as the only one on the Earth that has any inside information, I would bet big dollars that Cosmo knows a lot more than he ever lets on.

There's the difference.

Everyone should remember that the "double, triple, quadriple, etc." pain at US really started once RSA got involved. UA is not at this point. I seem to recall many US employees being quite upbeat before RSA got involved. UA is doing well so far, but let's see what happens when someone decides to pony up cash for exit financing.

USFlyer:

You bring up a good point, but United must resolve four major issues before it can submit its business plan, loan guarantee application, and POR.

Specifically, the $7.5 billion defined benefit (DB) pension plan underfunding, the contractual dispute with Atlantic Coast Airlines, the municipal bond litigation with the UCT Airport Authorities, and rejection of aircraft leases.

Without a legislative solution to the DB retirement problem, United might be forced to terminate its pension plans before the ATSB considers a revised application. If this occurs, things could get ugly really fast.

Meanwhile, I find it interesting Jake Brace, United's Chief Financial Officer, told Reuters United may seek to raise more than $2 billion in financing through other means, but declined to specify in what form or through what capital markets.

I wonder who could be the financial source and under what terms would United receive the money?

Respectfully,

Chip

We're on the same page, Chip. I still think the ugliness hasn't started yet. And, much like US, I think UA will still be reorganizing even post Chapter 11.

Chipper chipper chipper....
If you are going to say "U guys only" then you shouldn't be spreading your misinformational dribble about another company. When the UAL guys say "no chipper", they don't then start pontificating about your demise. But please respond, chip. You continually bashed UAL's recovery based on UAL's poor YOY RASM performance. What has that been for july and August Chipper? INDUSTRY LEADING? BETTER THAN U? Will you now quote Big Dave and his ventriliquist dummy "little Dave" from a year or two ago? Or will you get current and acknowledge that your "understanding" of UAL's financial performance for the last few months were "flawed" to say the least. You say that UAL will have to terminate pensions and that will lead to a meltdown. why is that Chip? are you saying that the pilots at UAL would be less likely to cheapen the profession by rolling over than you were? Less likely to sell out all employees hired after 1989 than you were? You telling us that U will get UAL flying because you are willing to underbid the UNION pilots at UAL? Whats your philosophy Chip? Just curious, when you took a job as a 570, did you know why you were there? Good thing the strike didn't last..... :angry: As for the 2 billion (or 2.5 billion), why would we go somewhere else? BECAUSE WE CAN? You think that management may not want to be contrained by a no growth business plan from the ATSB? Do you think they are looking for 2.5 billion because they think they can get it? In case you still get most of your info from USAtoday, I'll inform you that UAL has only tapped about HALF of the dip line of credit. Then why did we want 1.5 billion? FLEXIBILITY. Why would we want a 2.5 billion LOC comming out of BK despite having over 2 bill in cash? FLEXIBILITY!! One things for sure, we'll come out much better positioned, and not because we missed every single DIP hurdle (like U did), and underthreat of liquidation by a redneck guido, but because it's the right time.

Chip Munn said:
USFlyer:

Specifically, the $7.5 billion defined benefit (DB) pension plan underfunding,
Chip, thats an outright lie, and you should be embarrased for posting it. UAL's pension ARE NOT underfunded by 7.5 billion. the 7.5 billion number is the shortfall IF the PBGC took over and applied the much more conservative ROR guidelines. But you already know that don't you? But the truth doesn't coincide with the Roswell/ grassy knoll theory.

Busdriver,

I think you got off at the wrong stop! This is our sand box!! If you can't say something nice then say nothing at all!! I won't say who can or can't post,( we believe in freedom over here on the U boards) Just play nice. Now you just go back over to the united board and keep on dreaming how good its gonna be!!!

Busdrvr said:
Chip, thats an outright lie, and you should be embarrased for posting it. UAL's pension ARE NOT underfunded by 7.5 billion.
Sources close to the airline said government officials recently told United that it still had to resolve problems with its underfunded pension plan before it could reapply for the guarantees. United's four pension plans are underfunded by nearly $7 billion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Aug29.html

His concern arises from a filing by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) in United's pending bankruptcy case, which says the company's four pension funds are underfunded by $7.5 billion, or more than $61,000 for each of its 123,136 participants.

In addition to being bankrupt and owing its employee pensions $7.5 billion, United is in default on the bonds issued to pay for its existing terminal at O'Hare. United says it expects to emerge from bankruptcy in the fourth quarter of this year or first quarter next year.

http://illinoisleader.com/news/newsview.asp?c=7617

Estimates of UAL's total pension liability range from $6 billion to $7.5 billion. Like many large companies, UAL's plans are underfunded because of declines in the values of securities in which the plans invested.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/20...-pensions_x.htm

bigbusdrvr said:
Busdriver,

I think you got off at the wrong stop! This is our sand box!! If you can't say something nice then say nothing at all!! I won't say who can or can't post,( we believe in freedom over here on the U boards) Just play nice. Now you just go back over to the united board and keep on dreaming how good its gonna be!!!
Bigbusdriver, If you were my neighboor, you could sit in your back yard and get hammered and otherwise make an @ss of yourself, but if you start making comments about my wife, mom or sister, then I fell I have the right to come over and paint the walls with your face (I'm not threatening you, just making a point). Likewise, if you don't want any UAL customers (I do on occassion fly U) over here, then kindly don't make inaccurate disparaging comments concerning UAL.

"United's four pension plans are underfunded by nearly $7 billion."

"which says the company's four pension funds are underfunded by $7.5 billion,"

Well which is it? It's down right comical that Chip claims to be the UAL pension funding expert, yet his own union didn't have a clue about it's OWN pension funding level until the day before termination (and claims they still don't know). What was the level of underfunding at the end of 2002? What has the market done since then? What are the pension assumptions? What are the assumptions of other similar sized corporations? That is my frustration. You get folks who can signup with a nifty name like "analyst", which has the implication that they actually do research and have an understanding of corporation beyond what USAToday, ORD Trib or DCA compost write in on the op ed page (by a "journalism major" no less). For once impress me. Show me what real "analyst do. Tell me the pension assumptions that leave UAL at a $7.5 billion dollar deficit (on only a 10 billion or so obligation). show me how those assumptions are in line with reality. Come on "analyst", what are the implications with respect to the DIP cov's at UAL since they just recently leaked a YOY RASM jump of 15% for Aug. Did you see it coming, oor was it not in the paper for you. I must admit, I only predicted a 12% YOY jump. silly me, the pessimist.

Busdrvr said:
bigbusdrvr said:
Busdriver,

Bigbusdriver, If you were my neighboor, you could sit in your back yard and get hammered and otherwise make an @ss of yourself, but if you start making comments about my wife, mom or sister, then I fell I have the right to come over and paint the walls with your face (I'm not threatening you, just making a point). Likewise, if you don't want any UAL customers (I do on occassion fly U) over here, then kindly don't make inaccurate disparaging comments concerning UAL.
busdriver,
You are always welcome in my back yard, and would be gift of a neighbor as well I am sure!! If you would be so kind as to reference the lengthy list of articles posted above by analyst I am sure you will see no one is being creative with disparaging remarks. As you said no one is threating anyone around here, no threat assumed. Now what was that you said about me painting your sisters face with something??? OOPS I better private message all the other people!! Quick, quick PM to ............

"You are always welcome in my back yard, and would be gift of a neighbor as well I am sure!!"

You to, It'd never lack excitement!

"If you would be so kind as to reference the lengthy list of articles posted above by analyst"

If "analyst" were truly an "analyst" he wouldn't be quoting the newspaper. he'd present a fact based case (obviously without quoting Chip) to back up his theory. I don't often see real research reports quoting the paper. FYI, UAL's pension liability was underfunded by approx 6 billion at the end of 2002. approx 2 billion of that total was due entirely to changes in the assumed discount rate and assumed ROR. At the end of 2002 UAL used 9.0% ROR and I think have lowered it to 8.75% since. UAL also RAISED the annual rate of compensation increases to 4.3%(despite signing contracts that pay our much less over the next 5 years). The truth is UAL WANTS to come out of BK with the pension Fund as underfunded as much as possible accuarially. Why? If it outperforms expectations, the company currently gets to count it as profit. Same with depreciation, If you depreciate all yur assest to zero prior to exiting, you get a higher margin (Chips ever so ellusive 7%) on the same cash flow. There are liers, d@mn liers, and accountants... :blink:

Busdrvr said:
"You are always welcome in my back yard, and would be gift of a neighbor as well I am sure!!"

You to, It'd never lack excitement!

"If you would be so kind as to reference the lengthy list of articles posted above by analyst"

If "analyst" were truly an "analyst" he wouldn't be quoting the newspaper. he'd present a fact based case (obviously without quoting Chip) to back up his theory. I don't often see real research reports quoting the paper. FYI, UAL's pension liability was underfunded by approx 6 billion at the end of 2002. approx 2 billion of that total was due entirely to changes in the assumed discount rate and assumed ROR. At the end of 2002 UAL used 9.0% ROR and I think have lowered it to 8.75% since. UAL also RAISED the annual rate of compensation increases to 4.3%(despite signing contracts that pay our much less over the next 5 years). The truth is UAL WANTS to come out of BK with the pension Fund as underfunded as much as possible accuarially. Why? If it outperforms expectations, the company currently gets to count it as profit. Same with depreciation, If you depreciate all yur assest to zero prior to exiting, you get a higher margin (Chips ever so ellusive 7%) on the same cash flow. There are liers, d@mn liers, and accountants... :blink:
Busdriver,

Very interesting info. and point of view from an accoutants perspective! I am truly impressed! Best of luck with the outcome from ch11

Latest posts