choice seats

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
No matter what your opinion is on "Choice Seats" and them not being free for preferred members,(mine is not high) you have to be impressed by the 45 page training memo that just went out to the CS group. How many agents are going to read the whole thing?

Sadly, the 45 pages do not include suggested verbage for agents who encounter displeased CHPR flyers who have fork over money for a good seat. (no extra legroom or anything, mind you .

Please excuse the Training Department. Things are slow.

Nothing like a 45 page training document, multiplied by a couple thousand Customer Service Agents taking the time to pretend to read it, to demonstrate your value to the company.

I would assume that full reading of the entire 45 pages would depend on if the actual reading were done on company time or not. If not, I'm sure someone could provide the cliff note/executive summary version for those who have better things to do on their own time than reading why you're supposed to be charging for these seats.

They do hows that

Inside joke...

That's the response FF's have routinely gotten when complaining about having to pay the fee for seat that were free to choose. You've been around long enough to know that if you see "benefit" and "preferred customers" in the same sentence it really means another way for US to extract more money.

Jim

Havent seen the memo yet so cant comment on it specifically. There needs to be an override or something for the choice seats. I understand the need to make money, however, there are times that having choice seats means more work and possible delays (which would mean a possible write up of the agent).
We had prisoners the other day and needed to switch out the last row to get them seated there. Had a whole row of choice seats and scattered non choice seats. Cant do anything with them at checkin so they head to the gate. Now when the choice seats become available, the agent at the gate gets to play see how fast they can move everyone around that needs to be accommodated before flight time. Of course the agent could have just reseated the last row in the various scattered seats that the prisoner and guards had, but that wouldnt really be good CUSTOMER SERVICE when there are other seats available.
When rerouting a Preferred member at the last minute due to maint/weather, etc (not a voluntary reroute of their choice) and we only have choice seats left we can attempt to have the gate assign them at 45 mins, but this means they have less time to do other things they need to do and we have to make someone stand in another line to get something done that we should be able to do at initial point of reroute. Again, not good CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Have a family with little kids? Not seated together? Really want to sit with your kids? Pay up! Not good CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Got a carryon wheelchair passenger seated in the back of the plane? Pay up bud. Not good CUSTOMER SERVICE

Do I detect a pattern here???? :unsure: :blink:

Again, I understand the need to make money, but there needs to be some leeway (manager assignment?) of these seats in advance so the gates arent having to deal with so many issues at the end of checkin/boarding. It only opens up the possibility for more issues at departure which could mean a delayed flight. And we wouldnt want that would we?

Reactions: 2 people
Ever feel like the creme filling in the Oreo - in the middle and being squeezed from both sides?
Jim

Just have your Station Manager tell Hurricane Camille you took a delay to take care of customers.

I'm sure she will understand.

If she could.

I agree that choice seats can be a pain in the ass...especially on full flights with lots of families, as we do here in Florida....

On a positive note...the fact that choice seats will now be available at the time you book your reservation...up to 335 days in advance I believe, will help alleviate most of these issues we have here at the airport on the day of departure. The way I look at it, you either choose to select a choice seat in advance if you want to guarantee yourself the best seats for a nominal fee, or you don't. That simple.

Just hoping we dont have issues with IT losing choice seat purchases, aircraft changes, buying a choice seat then changing flights with no choice seats available. I applaud the effort, but I can see the additional problems that will arise. Hopefully someone in Tempe has thought of the response when these issues occur, or once again we will be adding to the possible complaint issues insead of reducing the chance to disappoint. We do not have a simple process in anything we do around here.

Reactions: 1 person