US West FAs ?

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Hey there,
Since we started working US West flights we've killed a forest. (And we thought the East releases were long!) :shock: :blink: Actually I (and my fellow agents) were curious if any of you actually use the prelim manifest and if so what parts? The FC list, specials, seat assignments (once its printed and 1 person changes their seat, its useless IMO). Also do any of you care or need to know who checked in at home, got a debit memo at the travel agent or most of the other info listed there?
We are supposed to pull one for the East crews, but most dont even look at it. Was wondering if in streamlining ops this was one thing that could be handled better? Maybe just the FC info and specials? Also notice that since the gates arent listed on the connection info, many FAs rip it off and throw it out. We always use this at the end of boarding if we have to check bags (with conx) in the jetway. Just curious what the West agents do in this matter since our trainers told us to just rip it off at the podium and didnt even bring it to the jetway with them.

I never work F/C but...most F/A's use the F/C name list so they know who is up there or who SHOULD be up there. The rest of it, we get mainly in the event of seat dupes. But...usually the list is printed so far in advance that the list is of not much use anyway. Also, if a pax gives us a problem, we would have their name to write up an irreg report if need be. Other than that...it is a waste as far as I am concerned.

YES, YES, and YES!!!
There is SOOO much valuable info on there beside FC names!
BUT, one thing I HATE, is when the prelim is run too early.
It should be run just before boarding, or when the crew shows at the earliest. Otherwise much of the valuable info is left off.
I know you don't want to hear of more entries to add, but we love it when the cabin crew name list is on there, too. Cuz frequently we are with new pilots and don't know their names.
You are right about the gate info being useful, don't know why some would toss it, not proactive or forward thinking, I guess. Maybe inexperienced.
I can't think of anything on there that I don't use on a regular basis.
Perhaps occasionally someone changes their seat after you run it, but the majority of the seat assignments are good. Plus you can see if they are making a conx in PHX, and if they have a frequent flier #, how many are in their party, etc.
There does seem to be an excess of uneccessary or erroneous info that
shows up in the specials. We mostly look for UMs, WCHRs, and pets there.
That PCTC code is useless to us. But that should be adressed by rez, I guess, move it to a different field.
Plus, often a pax is listed as BLND, DEAF, or 'totally immobile', and turns out there's nothing wrong with them.

Thanks, Tad. I haven't been to TPA since the merger, but when I get there, I'm looking for you!

Yes. I use the Final Manifest and the prelim. I like to see how many people are supposed to be in first class and also like to see how many Platinum members are sitting in coach. (I address pax by their last names when working as first)

I also like to see where the UMs, Wheelchair pax etc. are sitting so I can better assist them.

I agree it has some good info, but wonder if the formatting could be different or if its a must in its current form? Do you care what the FF number is or just that they are Preferred? (US1/2/3,etc), also agree that the seat numbers could be useful in most cases, although any changes to seats and if thats the dupe, its not going to help. It just seems silly to waste paper (and it does cost money) to send something that ? how many FAs actually use on a regular basis in its current format? I've also been called to the jetway many times for dupe seats, even though the crew has a list so I was just curious why waste the paper? The SSRs are a must to be sure that the assists are there, but with the current QIK system, I'm not sure that everyone who has requested an assist is going to show on there. We dont add anything to the rez most of the time at checkin so unless they advised when making the rez it wont show up there. I also think its not efficient to send the assist list at the end of closeout. If you are going to keep track of assists, it needs to be done as its requested otherwise you stand a good chance of missing someone. This suggestion has been sent in with the Sabre/QIK updates we were asked to supply. It seems to me that the reports have a lot of information on them, but I'm still not convinced that its the most useful or user friendly format for getting the info out.

RE- coming to TPA. Let me know when you're coming. Since I dont actually work for the airline and spend all my pretend time online wishing I did, I'll have to see if someone can give me a gate pass to meet my granny in a wheelchair! ;)

I have had many FA's say, Mr. US1YFARE, I see you are a Chairmans, thank you for your business. Do you know how far that goes?

UA uses it to determine in which order meals are ordered. On US, that would mean US1's order first, and then down the line. Prior to getting status on UA, I had UA FA's say, Mr. US1YFARE, I see you are a Chairmans on US, we want you to know that UA wants your business--no lie.

I have also had FA's say to me, I see you are connecting to XYZ, that is going to be at Gate X. Or, something else that I can't say on here for fear that a message will go out to all FA's telling them not to do what they did for me.

I for one who only works A position appreciate a good amount of information on the prelim paperwork. I have an idea of special passengers (UMs, disabled, pets, etc) and their seat locations. It gives my crew an idea of what our workload is going to be like based on the passenger load numbers (do we start setting up our carts now for service or can we wait until level off?). It also gives me an idea of my elites onboard in First Class and Main Cabin. I also like to address passengers by name whenever I have the opportunity.

Does US East use gate readers for boarding? What a God-send those things are. I used them when I was contracted to British Airways in PHX for 3 years. No seat dupes, quick, efficient boarding (25 minutes for a FULL 747-400 with 412 passengers).

There is nothing more embarassing than trying to sort out a seat dupe with a preliminary report. Reams and reams of paper, and when you finally find the name, you see in print "SEAT UNASSIGNED". Arggggh!!!! Of course, the gate agents are busy so the problem may not get resolved until departure time or, gasp :eek: , after.

With gate readers, this problem NEVER makes its way onto an aircraft. If the passenger has a boarding pass with an incorrect seat assignment, the gate reader rejects it and the boarding agent directs them to the podium to have the problem resolved. What a concept! If we had these in place system wide we would save MILLIONS on wasted paper and delays.

But then again, I would be surprised if management made the investment. They will always step over a dollar to pick up a penny.

Does US East use gate readers for boarding? What a God-send those things are.

Yes they do. This brings up another item that was addressed to the computer integration group. When showing those who have boarded, the West system just shows "seat reconciled" (onboard), but makes no mention of name, etc. As long as SOMEONE has that seat assigned, it will show it as being boarded. Also without the gate reader, by the time you get a "seat already reconciled" response there is a good chance that the dupe is already on the plane on in the queue at the end of the jetway and will probably end up being a problem at the end of boarding.
I have heard that they were testing the readers in PHX. Is this still occuring there? Also I havent heard if we will be keeping the readers in the East. I guess as long as we have Sabre they will remain, but after that time? It does help with boarding though and makes things easier for the agents, especially with full flights.

Why don't you ask the crew when they show if they would like a prelim, or how much of a prelim they would like?

I have heard that they were testing the readers in PHX. Is this still occuring there? Also I havent heard if we will be keeping the readers in the East. I guess as long as we have Sabre they will remain, but after that time? It does help with boarding though and makes things easier for the agents, especially with full flights.
Yes we are doing testing in PHX at 3 gates and also at SLC.
From what I understand a lot of the gate agents don't like to use them because it takes an extra few seconds per passenger to board. I know, I know...I don't understand this either.
I think it is just training.
Geek

Latest posts