Closing CVG reservations office

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced a consolidation of its reservations offices that will take effect approximately one year from now in September 2008.
The Cincinnati office employs about 450 people. All of the employees will be offered jobs within American's Reservations group, either at one of the airline's other offices or through American's home-based agent program, which would allow agents to perform reservations duties from their home.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071010/law085.html?.v=101

Anyone know how many agents in the United States are home based agents?
How many around the world?

I didn't know AA had any home-based agents. However, I did know a British Airways reservations agent in Houston that worked from his home. It is evidently a use of computer technology that works well for all concerned. Not only could he work in comfort and take care of his small children while his wife was at work, but according to commendation letters he received from the company, his efficiency and productivity increased dramatically from when he worked in an office in Houston. (His explanation: At home, there are no d*mn meetings to attend. :lol: )

jetblue has successfully done this for years with Utah housewives who originally lost their jobs when Neeleman sold Morris Air but promised the rez agents another opportunity.

The internets technology made this possible. Which is why I don't understand why other companies outsource their call centers to India instead of placing those jobs with home-based agents here in America.

Only reason I can figure is old-style heavy-handed managers resist new ways of doing things.

How many res agents on this board would work from home if given the opportunity at the right wage?

jetblue has successfully done this for years with Utah housewives who originally lost their jobs when Neeleman sold Morris Air but promised the rez agents another opportunity.

The internets technology made this possible. Which is why I don't understand why other companies outsource their call centers to India instead of placing those jobs with home-based agents here in America.

Only reason I can figure is old-style heavy-handed managers resist new ways of doing things.

How many res agents on this board would work from home if given the opportunity at the right wage?

I don't think home based agents get any benefits whatsoever, and pay is based on bookings?

Do you mean at AMR? My friend who worked for British Airways got full benefits from them. Their philosophy was that they were still coming out way ahead by not having to maintain a res office at all.

The home based employee has to pay the phone and computer lines, provide the computer and pay for their own internet connection. AA pays nothing on that line. The home based agent is using their own utilities to supplant AA's reservations system. I suppose if all you need is a little spending money, it might be okay but you have to do some serious math to see if it is worth it in the long run.

The home based employee has to pay the phone and computer lines, provide the computer and pay for their own internet connection. AA pays nothing on that line. The home based agent is using their own utilities to supplant AA's reservations system. I suppose if all you need is a little spending money, it might be okay but you have to do some serious math to see if it is worth it in the long run.

And, if you are using that phone and computer line for business purposes, the percentage of time spent doing business is tax-deductible as a non-reimbursed business expense. For that matter, to the extent that your home is used for business purposes, a percentage of your mortgage and taxes will be tax-deductible. For instance, if the room the computer is in represents 30% of the total floor space and you use that room for business purposes 50% of the time, then 15% of your mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc. are tax-deductible as a business expense. Now, if you are determined to be convinced that because the company suggested it, it must be all bad, go right ahead.

And, if you are using that phone and computer line for business purposes, the percentage of time spent doing business is tax-deductible as a non-reimbursed business expense. For that matter, to the extent that your home is used for business purposes, a percentage of your mortgage and taxes will be tax-deductible. For instance, if the room the computer is in represents 30% of the total floor space and you use that room for business purposes 50% of the time, then 15% of your mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc. are tax-deductible as a business expense. Now, if you are determined to be convinced that because the company suggested it, it must be all bad, go right ahead.

According to my CPA: The downside is that when you sell that home, the same 15% of the gain is not excluded from capital gains for the sale of your primary residence. With home values in a relative free fall, that could eat up a significant portion of the nest egg.

It all depends on the individuals circumstance: proper tax advice is needed for anyone pursuing this option.

According to my CPA: The downside is that when you sell that home, the same 15% of the gain is not excluded from capital gains for the sale of your primary residence. With home values in a relative free fall, that could eat up a significant portion of the nest egg.

It all depends on the individuals circumstance: proper tax advice is needed for anyone pursuing this option.

That's why you convert it back to a residence-only "years" before you sell it. :lol:

99% sure that you are incorrect, most of my friends at the SRO that decided to work from home recieved company issued PC's, and computer lines were installed and paid for by the company. One of the big savings was that the home-workers had to pay more for medical benefits as they were now part time. I believe they changed the agent status as well so they were paid less than office reps.

Let's see.... Wear and tear on a vehicle, gas, insurance, and commuting time... brick & mortar workers incur all of that at their expense.

Even if broadband were on the employee's dime, DSL is a heck of a lot cheaper than a month's worth of gas or a bus ticket.

Let's see.... Wear and tear on a vehicle, gas, insurance, and commuting time... brick & mortar workers incur all of that at their expense.

Even if broadband were on the employee's dime, DSL is a heck of a lot cheaper than a month's worth of gas or a bus ticket.

My broadband costs less than a WEEK's worth of gas!! :up:

Latest posts

Back