Clt Observer On Cwa - Company Meeting

But I can point out the economic elite aren't risking their lives on a battlefield in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Pat Tillman: Former NFL cornerback, current: causality of war. Salary 3.6 million

But wait, there's more than 924 or Aero mentioned. How about the fact that a major screwup in res causes unhappy customers and a possible reprimand. A major screwup in the cockpit causes dead customers, or, if you're lucky, just the end of a career.

Or how about the amount of training necessary?

Or how about the ease in finding comparable work outside the industry?

MrAeroMan said:
You're spot on 924 and to take it one step further the CWA represented employees are not REQUIRED to retire at age 60. Many a fine pilot has been forced to retire when he/she would've rather continued to work and was physically capable of doing the job.
That apart about CWAers not being REQUIRED to retire at 60yr.; Now that for some reason struck me as funny. I can only speak for RES but I can assure you there are not many res agents at 60yrs of age still hanging around. In fact we have a term for those few-dinosauers. And if they try to stay that long they are usually hauled off to the funny farm, or they have carpal tunnel syndrome, or fibromyalgia etc etc. Most res agents KNOW when it is time to get out. Enough is enough.

700UW said:
That's about 40 percent of what the airline wants from its pilots, even though the top agents earn only about 20 percent of a top pilot's wage.

"I was floored, really floored by that amount," said Chris Fox, president of the Communications Workers of America local in Pittsburgh.

CWA workers top out at $20.05 an hour, plus premiums, after 11 years. That amounts to about $41,600 a year for a 40-hour work week.

Pilots top out at about $200,000 a year, and the airline wants concessions worth $295 million from them, said Jack Stephan, spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association. An average work month for a pilot is 85 flight hours.......................................................
i am so tired of this i feel compelled to comment.

once again pilots are being portrayed as only working 85hrs per month as compared to 40 hrs per week for other groups.

of course it says Flight hours. the article i guess could say the agents only work 2 hours a day (no disrespect intended keep reading) or if you will get paid only for time the agent is actually at the podium typing on the computer (no saying hello, good bye and anything else does not count) moreover this will be tracked by the company as to when the key striking begins and ends as it determines the begining and ending of the transaction (read here ACARS) now under this agents hourly pay would probably jump to 60 bucks an hour or more. (ok do you see where this is going?)

more proper comparisions are to duty time time spent represnting the company. in that case you would find the average pilot on the job some 260-280 hrs a month. thats right about 4 60hr work weeks but noboday likes to say that. oh your not flying you shouldnt get paid (guess what we dont) but if it was stated your not (typing, loading bags, removing trash, wrenching on engines, insert your job description here) then you arent working either right?

sorry if you think pilots are rich and hansomely paid. learn to fly. then come to me and say this particular group makes too much money. i guarentee that will not be your position. (if you care to simulate it, for an agent one could simply perform their tasks, in a differnt station each day. and its up to the agent to get to that station for the start time upon finishing you must get to next station to report for work the next shift, the company will pick up the hotel for this period but will not compensate you for travel time. thus you will only be paid while you are at the podium working)

Here's the real deal we constitute for better or worse a rather large team at that. all having different functions yet inorder to achieve goals we must all do our part to work in concert to pull this thing off each day we call an airline. Like a (football or baseball...ect) team we have different positions, say 1 quarter back few running backs lineman, coaches, ect.... why does the quarter back get paid more than the lineman certainly he can not score alone, much the way lineman with out a qb are pretty much a bunch of guys just standing around on a field. this is the biggest problem we face. we can disagree but we must work together otherwise the other teams will win.

i know the retorts are coming, i must stress this is not "directed" at or about any fellow team member but merely pointing out that if this is the arguement out there then we are in much deeper trouble than i ever thought. (and no it has nothing to do with our fiscal situation).

i have seen you all pull together many times (too many if you ask me) to ensure that the good of the customer or company are served. in the last few years you have been unfairly asked to yet again step up to the plate. (i am not talking about paycuts or givebacks here) merely that the hard work i see day in day out people that do their jobs and go home to thier collective families only to "hope" they get to come back and do it again for a few more years. You are the real heros out there. just every day americans doing thier jobs not asking for a handout just a fair shake and an opportunity to show the world that this place callled USAirways has very good people that make it go each and every day.

openview said:
Pat Tillman: Former NFL cornerback, current: causality of war. Salary 3.6 million
Name 10 more.

The exception, in this case, IS the exception - not the rule.

The funny this is the pilots don't fly the airplane, the autopilot does, the auto throttles set the takeoff speed and the autobrakes engage themselves.

Cant tell you how many times a pilot will refuse an A/C because the atuo pilot is on MEL.

They only have to touch the controls 50 feet from ground up and 50 feet from air to ground.

700UW said:
The funny this is the pilots don't fly the airplane
Until things go really wrong. Then I sure hope whoever's behind the locked door knows what they are doing! :eek:

700UW said:
The funny this is the pilots don't fly the airplane, the autopilot does, the auto throttles set the takeoff speed and the autobrakes engage themselves.

Cant tell you how many times a pilot will refuse an A/C because the atuo pilot is on MEL.

They only have to touch the controls 50 feet from ground up and 50 feet from air to ground.
Oh 700

If this is what you really think, you clearly have no concept of what it takes to fly an airplane. Especially an airliner in todays hostile environment.

Just a couple of examples of superior airmanship you may not remember:

-Captain Al Haynes-UAL 232 Sioux City Iowa-Crew lands DC-10 after catostrophic uncontained engine failure renders aircraft "uncontrollable". Aircraft crash lands in cornfield. Many perish-some survive.

-Captain Robert Shornsteimer-F/O Mimi Tompkins Aloha Airlines B737
Fuselage skin separates and aircraft becomes an open top "convertible".
Aircraft lands safely-one F/O sucked out of aircraft is lost.

-UAL 811 B747 Over Pacific Ocean-Forward Cargo Door separates from aircraft causing huge hule and structural damage to adjacent fuselage. 9 passengers sucked out of aircraft. Aircraft lands safely thanks to skillful airmanship.

Countless more examples but that should suffice to refute your rather simplistic assessment of a Pilot's profession.

FUNNY, BUT THE LAST PART ISN'T GOING TO MAKE IT.

N924PS said:
Oh 700

If this is what you really think, you clearly have no concept of what it takes to fly an airplane. Especially an airliner in todays hostile environment.

Just a couple of examples of superior airmanship you may not remember:

-Captain Al Haynes-UAL 232 Sioux City Iowa-Crew lands DC-10 after catostrophic uncontained engine failure renders aircraft "uncontrollable". Aircraft crash lands in cornfield. Many perish-some survive.

-Captain Robert Shornsteimer-F/O Mimi Tompkins Aloha Airlines B737
Fuselage skin separates and aircraft becomes an open top "convertible".
Aircraft lands safely-one F/O sucked out of aircraft is lost.

-UAL 811 B747 Over Pacific Ocean-Forward Cargo Door separates from aircraft causing huge hule and structural damage to adjacent fuselage. 9 passengers sucked out of aircraft. Aircraft lands safely thanks to skillful airmanship.

Countless more examples but that should suffice to refute your rather simplistic assessment of a Pilot's profession.

FUNNY, BUT THE LAST PART ISN'T GOING TO MAKE IT.
PS

Sorry Bill, I'll try to keep it civil.

ALso, an F/A not and F/O was sucked out of the Aloha B737. And the UAL 747 had a hole not a hule. My bad....

I did not say anything about unordinary circumstances, and yes I know what it takes to really fly a plane, I am talking about normal everyday uneventful "flying".

A pilot flies a plane from CLT-LAX, he/she is done with that flight, no more liablity, a mechanic changes a part or works a system and the mechanic is liable until that part is changed again or system is worked by someone else, that can be one day or three years, tell me who has the greater liablity?

700UW said:
I did not say anything about unordinary circumstances, and yes I know what it takes to really fly a plane, I am talking about normal everyday uneventful "flying".

A pilot flies a plane from CLT-LAX, he/she is done with that flight, no more liablity, a mechanic changes a part or works a system and the mechanic is liable until that part is changed again or system is worked by someone else, that can be one day or three years, tell me who has the greater liablity?
Simple,

The guy/gal that actually has that airplane strapped to their fanny. And as a reminder the Federal Air Regulations state the Pilot-in-Command of an aircraft is directly responsible for and is the final authority as to the operation of that aircraft.

Just as aside. I have remendous respect and admiration for the Aircraft Maintenance Technicians at USAirways. And I agree that their level of responsibility
is considerable. I also think it is wrong for mangement to outsource the rightful work of Airbus Heavy Maintenance to Alabama Dave's Aircraft Repair and Bait Shop.

Keep 'em Flying!

700UW said:
tell me who has the greater liablity?
Ultimately, it's the pilot. After all, it may be your career, but it's the pilot's life.

But at this point it's arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Neither job is anywhere near the burger-flipper level...much closer to the brain surgeon level.

Latest posts

Back