Afa, Cwa, & Iam Updates

USA320Pilot said:
The CWA and AFA are close to obtaining TA's, but there is much work left to be done for the IAM. I believe there will be new agreements with these two unions before the S.1113© hearings end. It's my understanding, unless something quickly changes, the IAM National leadership would rather have "imposition" occur due to union politics.
USA320Pilot
[post="204267"][/post]​
And with all the hatred and animosity that negotiations like this cause, do you really think that USAirways will ever be able to offer a product that fends off competition like Jetblue, Southwest and Airtran etc...? It's not too late for the company to surprise everyone that is still there by doing the right thing.

USA320Pilot said:
It is my understanding the CWA and AFA are close to obtaining TA's, but there is much work left to be done with the IAM. I believe there will be new agreements with these two unions before the S.1113© hearing’s end on December 17, the same day the GECAS agreement must be approved by the bankruptcy court. Moreover, unless something quickly changes, the IAM National leadership would rather have "imposition" occur due to union politics.

It is very likely the Company will use IAM union dysfunction to take away more of their contract, similar to what happened to ALPA. This is unfortunate for rank-and-file members, but a likely scenario.

Moreover, I understand company, outside legal, and other advisors believe Judge Mitchell has no option but to prevent "self help", especially with the new GECAS agreement, and others believe the anti-labor Bush Administration will ensure the ATSB's investment is protected through the RLA.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="204267"][/post]​

Once again you have no idea of what you are talking about.

The IAM and the company resume talks on Monday to try and obtain a new agreement. There is nothing dysfunctional about the leadership, unlike your ALPA sellouts. The IAM is listening to its members and has done what they have asked.

Judge Mitchell is a bankruptcy judge, not a federal district judge, he has no power to stop self-help, even your own idol attorney you worship Setzler agreed and wrote a book on it.

See once again you stick your nose into other union's business because you are terrified of losing your job.

Everyone Remember this?

From the July 26, 2002 Charlotte Observer:

UNIONS CAN SINK US AIRWAYS
WITHOUT AGREEMENTS FROM ALL ITS UNIONS, AIRLINE'S FUTURE IS BLEAK
In recent days US Airways has made much progress toward ensuring that it
will have a future. It has reached tentative contract restructuring
agreements with its pilots, flight attendants and the Transport Workers
Union, which represents the dispatchers, simulator engineers and flight crew
training instructors, and with subsidiary PSA Airlines' pilots and flight
attendants.

The International Association of Machinists (IAM) unit representing
mechanics is close to a deal, and the IAM Fleet Service negotiators are
making good progress.

But that's not enough.

The Communication Workers of America (CWA), which represents customer
service and reservation agents, remains far from agreement with the company.
US Airways is on the brink of court-ordered bankruptcy because its situation
is "unsustainable." Failure to improve the situation will have devastating
effects on employees, customers and companies that depend on US Airways.

The airline has received a "conditional" federal loan guarantee approval,
but can't use those funds unless it gets restructuring agreements with all
labor groups, in accordance with the business plan submitted to the Air
Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB).

Needed for loan guarantees

Major obstacles remain in the way of a voluntary restructuring.

US Airways may not be able to reach agreements with lenders without
tentative agreements with the remaining unions. Unless it has those
agreements the company wouldn't get final ATSB loan guarantee approval,
government sources believe.

How bad is the situation? The carrier continues to burn cash during what is
historically the best-performing time of year. Ten months after Sept. 11, US
Airways has not resolved its cost problems, the economy remains sluggish,
revenue is off 20 percent and low-cost competitors are aggressively
attacking its market share. The industry has not recovered as expected.
Domestic fares are at 15-year lows. Shifts in buying patterns and travel
options indicate airlines may never get the revenue per available seat mile
they previously enjoyed.

Disturbing reports

US Airways needs restructuring agreements for either a voluntary
restructuring or successful bankruptcy reorganization. If the company gets
union concessions and qualifies for government financing, then if it's
forced into bankruptcy, it probably could get in and out of bankruptcy
quickly.

What's disturbing are reports that the CWA leadership is misleading its
members. Last Friday, company negotiators asked the union to meet, to try
and resolve their differences. The union said its negotiators couldn't meet,
but its advisers would be available. However, I'm told that when management
tried to schedule a meeting, they were told the advisers had other
commitments. Meanwhile, the CWA issued a report telling its members the
company met with the advisers last weekend - which management disputes.

Brinkmanship by any union could push the airline into bankruptcy. It's
disappointing to see a relatively small group of employees risk the
destruction of a viable company, with a devastating effect on 40,000
employees and their families.

No one can be sure what will happen in bankruptcy, but it's certain that if
the company reorganizes and successfully comes out of bankruptcy, the labor
groups that don't have tentative agreements with the company prior to
bankruptcy will lose.

As in other union negotiations, the parties that reach savings targeted in
the business plan will get a bankruptcy protection letter, which protects
against even deeper salary and benefit cuts if the company enters
bankruptcy.

Some may face pay cuts

If the company files for bankruptcy, workers in labor groups without that
bankruptcy protection letter may face deep cuts in pay and benefits, loss of
unused sick and vacation time, slashed retirement benefits and a crash in
the value of common stock in 401(k) accounts. In addition, they'll work for
a smaller airline that will hand out layoff notices at once with no
severance pay, and will pay members of unprotected unions significantly
less.

Each day the company moves nearer bankruptcy. New chief executive officer
David Siegel has brought a breath of fresh air to management. US Airways'
best chance to survive is for unions and creditors to bet on him and his
team. Employees wanting to keep their jobs must impress upon union
rank-and-file employees the importance of ordering union leaders back to the
bargaining table at once, to reach an agreement that is 85 percent of the
targeted concessions.

The choice is simple: Either all stakeholders move past their anger,
frustration and denial to obtain and ratify restructuring agreements, or the
carrier will almost certainly enter bankruptcy.

History has shown only two major airlines have successfully restructured in
bankruptcy - not good odds for this company to continue operation.

XXXXXX is a US Airways captain

And ALPA's Response:

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE

July 26, 2002

This is Roy Freundlich with US Airways an MEC update for Friday, July 26, with two new items:
Item 1. Today the Charlotte Observer published an anti-union editorial from one of our pilots, titled "Unions can Sink US Airways," that aggressively promotes management’s objectives on achieving concessions from other labor groups. The editorial goes so far as to suggest that the CWA union leadership, who represent customer service employees, is misleading their members on their negotiating activity, and implies that management’s side of a dispute is more accurate.

This editorial does not in any way represent ALPA’s position, understanding, or sentiment, on other unions and their sincere efforts to represent their members. ALPA has received no reports, nor would it assign any value to reports, that suggest that any union is misleading their membership. The pilot author of the editorial holds no union position in ALPA. The anti-union public statements from one of our pilot-ALPA members is regrettable.

We urge all pilots to contact their reps or the Comm Center for accurate updates on restructuring negotiations and the activity of other unions. We also request that all pilots refrain from promoting any management anti-union propaganda or chastise other employees in the media. There is little to be gained from such activity other than embarrassment for yourself, your fellow pilots, US Airways, and ALPA.

700UW:

You're so clueless that your comments do not even deserve a response.

In regard to being terrified of losing my job, would you like to compare bank accounts? I believe it's you who is terrified, instead of loyal.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

I am not the one running around trying to scare other unions and its members to take concessions.

I don't care about your bank account, are you trying to impress us to hide some inadequacies you have?

Loyal?
Lets see you loved Dave Siegel and were his #1 fan, when he took your pension, oh wait your MEC did that without letting ALPA members vote on it, you told everyone you hated Dave Siegel, you said ALPA was gonna go on strike, you said shut the doors and you said you had a foreign flying job all lined up. Then you flipped flopped again and became his #1 supporter.

That is not loyalty, that is someone who lives in fear.

And you are the one who wrote the OP-ED piece and your own union disavowed you, you know the former MEC who you supported 1000%.

I am prepared for life after US Airways if it fails or I am laid-off.

Your track record and lack of credibility speaks for itself.

What about the ICT/UCT?

What about the "painful" clause?

Do I need to keep going?

Your digging your hole deeper and deeper with each post.

And you are the one who is clueless, you cant even stay with one side, you go back and forth to suit your whims.

And like I said, I have not seen you at CCY, so you are the one who has no idea of what is going on.

This statement from the MEC says is all:

There is little to be gained from such activity other than embarrassment for yourself, your fellow pilots, US Airways, and ALPA.

I ran into a very very disgruntled CWA U employee at the Moon Township Post Office this morning. This guy was using the F word in front of everyone and was told to watch it in front of the women present, he didn’t care one whit. If this is indicative of the CWA members and according to him it is indeed, U doesn’t have a pray. With disgruntled people at the front lines dealing with paying passengers, well that sure doesn’t bode well for U and its plans of mutilating its labor force. To all the self righteous pious individuals who believe such conduct is beneath them and totally unacceptable, walk a mile in an agents shoes, If- You- Can! U is imploding with their tactics of labor mutilation, humans are just that, humans and when treated like animals they become like animals. Unless U sets up shop in the jungle they don’t have a pray the way they are treating employees!

deano....Curt's son

If Lakefield gets what he wants, most of the employees, except the pilots and FAs are going to get canned or outsourced anyway. Bruce just needs to get the contracts abrogated or completely neutered first. Employee morale in the lower paid scales isn't seen as a serious future problem . . . . . because those employees won't be there, for the most part.

Our ATO is near HP. They got dirt cheap pay nothing wages for their folks and the turn over rate is constantly increasing. Monthly there are new hires replacing those that work a couple weeks, see the stuff they have to deal with for 8.00 hr and quit. Same will happen here. But that is what Glass and others there want so can't argue with an idiot. Most of us wont be here anyway. I could care less what the company does. Im outta here in 2 months... :up:

Latest posts