CLUES INDICATIVE TO AN UPCOMING MERGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about this one: Frontier goes to WEST reducing presense in PHX adding more at DEN- becoming US (overlap routes will be reduced), East goes to UA strengthening Star Alliance and eliminating US from the program... and the Shuttle operation and slots at LGA and DCA are aquired by Southwest while they also buy Airtran gaining access to ATL ..... and for the big finish...Delta takesover Jetblue. hahaha!

AWA is not even in the same league as the Legacies. Anything with UA would be more tolerable then what we've endured with this POSSE regional!
My sentiments exactly. When this merger was announced 2years ago, MANY people had HIGH hopes. Little did we know how different the two airlines were in their operations. There will probably be a few that will want to disagree over this point, but US was more of a true legacy carrier with a focus on the BUSINESS traveller, whereas AWA was primarily focused on LEISURE travellers. The two BK did change things on the East but it wasn't until Tempe took over that most of the coveted Business Travellers (the ones that pay the High yield fares) fled. Tempe can put their own amount of spin on THIS Issue but fact is fact. Yes, the aircraft are full BUT today's USAirways is a whole DIFFERENT animal........and one MANY DO Not Care for.

The one piece of evidence I consider most compelling, and no one has mentioned yet, is Isom being recruited from NW. He brings a 15 year body of knowledge about NW and international operations, specifically transpacific, to LCC. That could be quite valuable if you're planning on combining in some way. I use to think it was going to be US/UA all over again....ooouuueeech!! But I'm beginning to think it might be NW now. They need PHL more than UA does and the IAD/DCA combo might be too much for the Feds to accept.

The one piece of evidence I consider most compelling, and no one has mentioned yet, is Isom being recruited from NW. He brings a 15 year body of knowledge about NW and international operations, specifically transpacific, to LCC. That could be quite valuable if you're planning on combining in some way. I use to think it was going to be US/UA all over again....ooouuueeech!! But I'm beginning to think it might be NW now. They need PHL more than UA does and the IAD/DCA combo might be too much for the Feds to accept.

He worked there for 5 years 8 months not 15 years.

But if you merge with NW, then you'd get Isom anyway, right?
Good point. But why not bring him onboard early to take care of pre-merger "issues". Get some items in order first, then make it public what you're planning on doing. Isom being here doesn't nessecarily suggest NW. But I think it does suggest something is coming.

I remember things started materializing before the anouncement of the merger with USAirways and AWA. We had similar aircraft and such but out of nowhere the company gives us the ETB (which AWA used) to make our miserable life easier. Now it seems that the same thing is starting like the alignment with UA free milage going from 25,000 to 30,000 (days after we recieve the new 25,000 mile announcement). Fidelity buying UA and USair stock.
What other things have you heard or seen that leads to the UA/US/AWA/CO merger. One disturbing re-occuring talk is DoUgIe leaving the west, but maybe heading up the East US/UA merger. Sounds like the mgmt from UA doesn't want the job and thinks DP's the cats meow. Any others?

Now if fidelity buys UA and US in large sums don’t you think that maybe just maybe that someone might question that?

We should here something by the end of the month if not the 21st, U and UAL, AWA and CO and the shuttle is going to AA. Thats the best one going around now!!!!!!!
Hmm, but I just can't imagine them letting the Shuttle go unless there is some other HUGE gain in it. Of course I could've never imagined someone ruining the 330's which are the only things (besides the 762) really doing anything to make money. People can sit here all day and speculate about what is going on (and I'm sure something is) but no matter what we say it's probably something that we could've never imagined.

I would think UA would want the Shuttle, it fits in with thier business traveler philosophy, it fits well with thier other products like PS, ExPlus, Economy Plus etc.

The Shuttle sticks out like a sore thumb at the current US Airways. It's an upscale business product in a very competitive market, part of the product being a reliable operation in a challenging environment. The AWA management teams business casual (lack of a) product and tits-up anything goes attitude towards operations are the polar opposites of the basics of the northeast shuttle market..

A merger partner could always keep the Shuttle itself, and the slots required in the three cities, and sell the excess slots to another carrier. Selling US DCA and LGA slots to AA would reduce the overlap between IAD/DCA, keeping the most important part (Shuttle). The excess slots could be used by AA (or whomever) to either start thier own true Shuttle or a valuable DCA focus city.

Or, they could reduce IAD to more of an international focus city, keeping the DCA ops, and using CLT and PHL as thier eastern hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts