Cockpit Jumpseat priority

:ph34r:

We were on the topic of cockpit jumpseats, so I only mentioned MR pilots taking those jumpseats. That being said, the vast majority of commuting F/A's also are more than willing to take a cabin jumpseat in order to put a seat under another NRSA, regardless of the purpose of their travel. Kudo's to those that do!
:up:
As I said, "you're welcome".

While we are on the jumpseat topic, here is one more thing to think about as we merge our airlines together and create new rules and policies....

Here at US West, Pilots are also cabin jumpseat qualified. Every year during recurrent, we do the hands on door drills for every aircraft in the fleet, not just the plane we are flying. I can't tell you as a commuter how many times this has allowed us to fill every jumpseat on the plane, (2 cockpit, 2 cabin, etc), and take as many on and off line jumpseaters home and to work.

A commuting F/A, of course, has priority over any pilot on the cabin jumpseats, as it should be. However, I have heard that on the East side, this is not allowed. Anyone out East know for sure?

This is a definate benefit we should fight to keep in the combined new company! I for one hate to leave anyone behind if we have an empty seat they could occupy!

While we are on the jumpseat topic, here is one more thing to think about as we merge our airlines together and create new rules and policies....

Here at US West, Pilots are also cabin jumpseat qualified. Every year during recurrent, we do the hands on door drills for every aircraft in the fleet, not just the plane we are flying. I can't tell you as a commuter how many times this has allowed us to fill every jumpseat on the plane, (2 cockpit, 2 cabin, etc), and take as many on and off line jumpseaters home and to work.

A commuting F/A, of course, has priority over any pilot on the cabin jumpseats, as it should be. However, I have heard that on the East side, this is not allowed. Anyone out East know for sure?

This is a definate benefit we should fight to keep in the combined new company! I for one hate to leave anyone behind if we have an empty seat they could occupy!
Does the west still allow the "trained" technicians to occupy the FA jumpseat?? While we're at it, are technicians allowed to ride cockpit jump seat......with the jump seat pass, of course.

However, I have heard that on the East side, this is not allowed [pilots on F/A jumpseat - Jim]. Anyone out East know for sure?
What you've heard is correct - we only do the door drill on the airplane we're qualified on, so pilots aren't allowed on the F/A jumpseat.

It may be something the FAA could give some leeway on - I've read here that some airlines let other airline's F/A's and pilots sit on the F/A jumpseat.

Jim

Every available jumpseat should be filled. We should have reciprocal F/A jumpseat agreements with United. Pilots in a F/A jumpseat is fine, after all F/As are accomodated. And we should have the same up front. This is all good for CRM and for people getting to work.

JetBlue lets any old flight attendant sit in thier jumpseat, we should be reciprocal with them too.

I'll agree to that as soon as F/A's are allowed to ride cockpit j/s. As you said, fill them all. Most pilots I know here at East have no problem having a f/a on their j/s. Of course, a pilot would have priority up front. Maybe we should look at that first before we push to have pilots on the cabin j/s's. We all agree that would be fair, right?

Sorry...I'm a crew member and have never seen MR for must-ride (west perhaps?) and I don't know what CRS is.

"MR" is "East" (Sabre) for Must Ride

"CRS" is a geriatric condition for "Can't Remember ($#!^)"

CRS is a precondition for "CRAFT"

Hope this clarifies....uh, what was the question?

:blink:

You said that this incident occurred in PHX. As far as I know, “EAST” agents are still handling “EAST” flights out of PHX. So, they should know the policy for jumpseating on “EAST” a/c. (I HATE THAT WHOLE “METAL” THING!!!)
The policy for cabin jumpseat on “WEST” a/c is if at 1 hour prior to departure, there is more than one F/A trying to get the j/s, the most senior person gets it. If you show up after the 1 hour point, it is determined by FCFS.

Every available jumpseat should be filled. We should have reciprocal F/A jumpseat agreements with United. Pilots in a F/A jumpseat is fine, after all F/As are accomodated. And we should have the same up front. This is all good for CRM and for people getting to work.

JetBlue lets any old flight attendant sit in thier jumpseat, we should be reciprocal with them too.

I'll agree to that as soon as F/A's are allowed to ride cockpit j/s. As you said, fill them all. Most pilots I know here at East have no problem having a f/a on their j/s. Of course, a pilot would have priority up front. Maybe we should look at that first before we push to have pilots on the cabin j/s's. We all agree that would be fair, right?

We’ve been trending to liberalizing the non-rev policy, it would be nice to see this carry over to the jumpseat.

No really....it is FCFS. Why is there a debate on this? Surely it is in writing somewhere.
It is written in our contract section 30-3 lines 36-40 . I can only speak about the F/As (east). It's seniority up until thirty minutes, then it's by check-in time, which is marked on the triplicate j/s form. If you are a pilot, you would have seen the white form which the A F/A keeps, the pink and yellow forms go to the G/A and ops. I also think the rules may be on the back of the form as well. It is all paper since we do not have the option of calling anywhere to reserve since it is by DOH.