Cockroach or Crocodile

CSSUP

Aug 20, 2002
A few years one of our USAirways pilots explained his theory that US was a cockroach airline. Like US the cockroach was hated by many, dwelled in the big cities, often stomped on by bigger beings and finally despite all of this was still alive after millions of years.
When we emerge from bankruptcy I instead would like to be the crocodile. It also has survived for millions of years, in an ever changing environment. But it dominates its area preying of everything within its reach. The crocodile is also tough, aggressive and feared by all.
Now is the time to think of the future. I would like to hear of what others think should be our place in the airline kingdom. I know I will get some PPF comments but I am willing to put up with that to hear some out of the box thinking of our future.

You guys are off to a good start. You should all be proud of what you've accomplished so far, despite how painful it is. You're well on your way to restructuring your company into a lower-cost, low-debt, highly competitive carrier that becomes an attractive strategic partner to almost every other airline. While I remain convinced that at some point US will be combined with another carrier, I believe it will be dealing from a position of strength and not a position of weakness when that happens.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/24/2002 12:41:13 PM CSSUP wrote:

A few years one of our USAirways pilots explained his theory that US was a cockroach airline. Like US the cockroach was hated by many, dwelled in the big cities, often stomped on by bigger beings and finally despite all of this was still alive after millions of years.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Inasmuch as Baldanza deemed us US FFs cockroaches during the heyday of the rule change war, the analogy is very apt.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/24/2002 2:34:57 PM RumorS wrote:

crocodile sounds good!!!!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Where do i sign up for the one year plan?

But in the meantime, you'll still come to work and collect your paycheck instead of quitting now and going on unemployment till you find a new job, right? That's mighty convenient.

Something like that.Right now ,I get to leave my wife and two kids ,my home in Charlotte every week,and commute to philly for this great job.Convenient?I wouldnt say that.Now I get to pay back part of what I've earned in the past three months,ontop of a paycut.Lets not forget those medical ins. payments after jan. 1st.I cant wait!Also keeping up a crash pad and living in philly.You pilots just dont understand the strains these cut have on other people.While you can survive easily on your pay,others are just trying to pay the bills.It gets to the point where its just not worth it anymore.
Im glad you have the security you have in your pay, that you can look to the future.For me I see no future here .Dave gave the mechanics here no shred of light to look forward to.If there was I would stay and ride this out.Just the right to have a job is not enough.

And you will reap nothing for what you have,or will have sown for the next ten years,no matter how prosperous US Airways will get. Welcome to this dead end job.And before you say it,my resumes are flyin.Will leave when I can.

One more thing.Yes, I will continue to collect my paycheck ,and I will also continue to work my 8.5 hrs. a day.Planes will get fixed and they will be safe.I still have my professonal pride.

Lynx_plyr02,
I not only empathize, but sympathize with your current situation, as well as many other's who continue to play the USAir shuffle commute. This is not an uncommon occurrence at the station's I have worked in, but more like standard operating procedure. I sometimes wonder why many of us even bothered buying houses, it seems like a better bet would have been a camper in the airport parking lot. BTW, it look's like with the latest rounds of furlough's and sta. closing's, there will be a few more addition's to the hobo commute.

Meanwhile, good luck with your endeavor to eventually leave USAir, and let those who remain, continue to have their kaleidoscopic view of USAir's future. P.S. CSSUP,I vote for a Dodo Bird to your analogy!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/24/2002 4:53:19 PM Lynx_plyr02 wrote:

Dave gave the mechanics here no shred of light to look forward to.If there was I would stay and ride this out.Just the right to have a job is not enough.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I do hope you find a job, Sadly, I saw where a large chain FBO in the CLT area needed a A&P and IA. The sad part is that they are not interested in any airline people, They feel that airline mechanics no longer have the ability to troubleshoot or work on anything smaller than a 737. Their words.

I know Daves deal bites, but I for one would love to still be at U With no shred of light!! Right now be glad that you are still working.

Hmmm...considering that a croc has a brain about the size of a pea, and that's the approximate brainpower displayed by U management the past 10 years, including Baldanza's recent braindead ideas, a croc might be about right. For U's sake, I hope their future management decisions aren't as totally inept as their past ones. Stuff like paying top dollar for PSA, then pulling out of almost all their routes, business select seats, competing against UAL at IAD, building up BWI as a hub, then turning tail when WN shows up, Metrojet, a hodgepodge mix of aircraft types, competing against other airline's 737s or RJs with Dash 8's, etc. When an airline mag runs a pic of your Chairman and CEO (W&G) with the title Dumb and Dumber, you know your management team (even with their hundreds of millions worth of bonuses, stock options, incentives, etc) is held in something less than high regard. When the CEO of another airline says Metrojet is a one word joke, something isn't right. Personally, until I see some concrete results, I'll have to assume U's management is as incompetent as ever. Biggest mistake of all was being stuck with Wolf for several years. His idea of managing an airline is to change the fleet's livery and rename the company. Sort of like taking a piece of rotted wood and slapping on some paint and polyurethane. Bright and shiny, but it's still rotted wood. When you think of his term Impressions of Excellence, what he was basically saying was We'll build a impressive facade which will make customers think we're excellent when we're really not. This is NOT to take away from the abilities of U's employees. They, especially CS, have been treated like crap. Led by overpaid, unqualified management, they have perservered. They deserve better.