Colgan Air Gets 10 New Saabs?

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
I heard a rumour that Colgan Air just got/is getting 10 new Saabs. They previously only had 7 or so... where are all of these props going?

Colgan Fleet
Beech 1900C 5 a/c

Beech 1900D 10 a/c

SAAB 340B 9 a/c

Total Aircraft 24 a/c

From their website. I'd venture a guess to maybe get rid of some of the Beechs? The Cs are the ones you cant even stand up in. Maybe also to get 1 fleet type eventually? Maybe they are going to keep the Beech and add service to replace someone else? Air Midwest, PSA, etc?

I heard from a Piedmont Dash8 pilot that they were taking over some of their routes. Apparently some Dash 8's are being returned at the end of their lease. He mentioned that Colgan has picked up a DCA-ORF run, which has been a primary route of Piedmont's (Henson's) for over 15 years.

I wouldn't be suprised if they pick up some of Midway's routes, as well. I wish they would pick another aircraft. I personally find the Saab uncomfortable, especially in the summer with no air conditioning on the ground. It's also a ramp agent's nightmare. The GPU outlet is behind the number two engine. You really stink after working a Saab flight!!

Colgan is slated to take over Bradford, Jamestown, and Greenbrier from Air Midwest (Mesa). They just asked the DOT for a delay at Greenbrier while they find some planes, Beech 1900(x)'s in that case.

They also asked DOT for a delay at Bradford and Jamestown while they figure out how to get rid of Air Midwest. :)

Back