Regional Affiliates -- Quality Control

Back on thread.

This week one of our stations ran into the quality control issue.

The station handled PI and mainline.

Mesa commenced operations recently, as well.

A Mesa a/c with the APU inop is scheduled into the station - normally, a routine kind of thing. But nooooooooooo, now the circus comes to town.

1. No one in the station had been trained on the CRJ at all.

2. Equipment compatibility issues. Can a mainline airstart unit mate up to CRJ's? Ground power? Where the @#$%&* are the access panels for all of the above?

3. They could have figured all of that out, but then came the show stopper. The one GPU in the station electrically compatible with the CRJ belonged to PI, whose dispatch said, you better not hook that up to a Mesa jet.

Results, the flight delayed in CLT to fuel it for the roundtrip, and a single engine turn!

The shape of things to come.

I certainly didnt intend for this to become a wholly-owned vs. mainline thread -- its a shame that it as taken that direction.

This is about creating a consistent express product. My suggestion was to do this by integrating the wholly-owneds and phasing out the contract carriers over time.

Personally, I liked the idea about merging the wholly-owneds and stapling them to the bottom of the list. Then "hiring" furloughed employees at the wholly-owneds when vacancies are available until their recall comes from "mainline". Once everyone is recalled, "voila" you have a single seniority list and a single company.

But Dave isn't exactly calling to ask my advice about anything these days! ;) (never did as a matter of fact)

Not off topic at all. I take diogenes' post as the example:

Mesa CRJ + ML station + PI GPU = Goat Rope

ML CRJ + ML station + ML GPU = Routine Turn

Water over the dam at this point, fer sher. The past creates the present.

Who is John Galt?

There's one more aspect of my little scenario.

Years ago, in a better time and at another airline, we'd have dove into the manuals on our own BEFORE the RJ's were ever scheduled in, had there been no formal training. If, somehow,we screwed the pooch in a procedure, we would be ok, because we were NEVER penalized for trying to execute an operation to the best of our abilities.

Not at U. They put you in the situation untrained, and if you foul up, they crucify you. Far wiser to sit back until they get around to training you. It generally takes a boo-boo or two for them to get around to it.

And best of all, the Mesa manuals we received were out of date the day we got them.

Latest posts