College Decision

BRONC

Feb 17, 2004
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum but I've been reading them for a while. I'll start out by getting right to the point before I get involved in answering questions I can on the other forums as well as this one.

I'm currently nearing completion of my instrument rating at an aviation college. (Like ERAU, UND, etc. I'm not going to say which one). I feel that although the flight training is excellent, I'm not going to be very well prepared for a career change if need be (loss of medical, furlough, you name it).

I have already made the decision that I do not want to graduate with only the aviation degree.

My options are these:
- Switch programs and major in aviation management. I think the program here is decent to say the least, and at least I'd have more of an idea of the business side of things. I'd be able to finish up the rest of the flying (commercial, MEI, CFI eventually) at a flight school near where I'm from.

-Finish up the degree in aviation...and? Maybe try to someday get a master's degree in something else? But right after graduation, with the way things are now, I'm most likely going to be the proverbial starving CFI and I doubt I'll have the time or money to get a master's degree then.

-Transfer to a state school and get a degree in something like business, economics, or something else in that area. The only problem here is that although I'd save money on tuition, I'd go back a little bit in classes, and maybe need more than the two years of college that I currently have left.

To say that I would greatly appreciate any input from people in the industry is an understatement. This is a very important decision for me, and a lot is riding on it. Thank you, anyone, if you can give me your opinion. What would YOU do if you were in my situation? It's certainly a tough one for me.

I would finish! Some airlines are hiring pilots, you just can't be as picky as you may have been able to in the past.

I would go and get another degree, as well. The aviation industry is so screwed at this point and it may never get back to what it once was. No matter what job you have at an airline, its not a guarantee!

Don't get hung up on what your major is. Its just important that you graduate with a degree. In life the majority of people never work in the field they majored in. If your really hung up on what to study I would say finish your aviation major and minor in Finance.

As a former instructor at an Aeronautical School I will give you some ideas,not make your decision for you.Please be advised that the airline business has never been more uncertain than now.You may pursuit an Airline career and it may last 30 years or 3 months.The current trend is toward the OUTSOURCING of jobs to contractors who operate with cheap labor.I believe a career as a corporate pilot or mechanic has a more promising future.The current trend is for corporations to lease time shares on jets owned by leasing companies.This market appears to be growing due to the hassel with security at airport terminals when flying commercial carriers. Best wishes for your future.[AA Mechanic]

Thank you for your opinions so far. Something else I was considering was maybe if I ever lost my medical or decided to get out of the aviation industry while furloughed I could get a master's degree. I don't know in what, but perhaps that could make me a little more competitive.

Another thing, with a degree in economics, business management, or something along those lines, wouldn't that also kind of be "dime a dozen?" I mean, how many people graduate college annually with a degree in business? That's what makes me like the Aviation Management idea. I'm still undecided.

Bronc,

I would suggest that you finish what you started or whatever will get you finished in the shortest amount of time. If you pursue a flying career with the airlines, you will have plenty of time in the trenches (flying for a regional or charter) to obtain a Masters degree in your choosen field. The most important thing is to get a flying job as early as you possibly can.

A "fall back" career is great to keep in mind. Pick something that you love to do, and hone your skills or obtain additional degrees to meet that end. Hopefully you won't have to use it.

Once a pilot for a regional or major airline, what types of jobs could a pilot switch to if they wanted a more reliable schedule or couldn't fly for medical reasons, etc.? Possibly dispatcher, or other flight operations related non-flying duties? What if they had a degree in aviation management? Or any degree, topped off with an M.B.A.? Would any other department within the airline be able to hire them if they had a good record within the company?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Bronc,

Although you may not wnat to here a lot of what I have to say, please just read before you pass judgement.

My brother graduated in 1992 from a prestigious college with a business degree. He searched for a year for a job and finally decided to follow his heart and get a pilot's license; however, funds where limited for commercial. His choice was going into the Marine's. He entered as an officer and is currently flying C130s and also training other Marine's for Warfare tactics. He has climbed rank of a Major and is pushing almost 12 yrs in the service. By the time he is done, he will have earned the equivalent of a MBA and close to a PHD with the service. By the time he is done he will be a Corporal or close to it. All I am saying is weigh ALL of your options. I recieved a BA from the same school he attended and am kicking myself in the butt for not signing up when I was young enough.

I'm an ERAU grad flying for a major airline. I went into the USAF after college and flew C-141's for 7 years and had the best time. You will never get more responsibility faster both flying and non-flying anywhere else. At 24 I was an aircraft commander in charge of the crew and plane and was the OLD guy! Awsome experience. Plus, with the downward pressure of airline pay and benefits, military pay looks pretty good these days. And the advanced education opportunities are 90% or more paid for. Go Air Force; you won't regret it.

AMRCostunit,
Thanks for your input. I'm basically clueless in regards to the military. I really don't know the first step in getting involved. I don't want to sound pretentious here, but I don't think I would enjoy the military if I wasn't flying. Also, it is too late for me to get involved in ROTC during college. Do you know where I can start? Thanks.

BRONC

If your school has Air Force ROTC go there and ask about pilot training. The process for you would be OTS (Officer Training School) which is 6 weeks long and then into flight school. You will have to get acceptable scores on the AFOQT (Air Force Officer Qualification Test) that has some aviation aptitude sections on it. It's been 20 years for me so it may be called something different now. You will know if you get a pilot slot before you commit to anything. Plus, when I was going through, if you washed out of pilot training, you had a choice of whether to stay in the service or get out. Those who were Academy Grads or Scholorship had to stay in to work off their education.

I would also find someone who is in ROTC that is close to graduation and going to pilot training to get their current take on the state of military.

You could also go Navy. I still think a carrier landing is the coolest thing and would love to give it a go!

Also, you should consider the reserves/guard as an alternative to active duty. When the Iraq deal settles down and those guys come home there will be an exodus out of the guard and reserves as many of them have reached their 20 years and I am sure they have had enough of the desert. You go through the same flight school as the active guys then go back to your unit and usually spend a year on active duty with them flying. After that you can persue a airline job or whatever but still fly and train with the reserves. There are also many full-time reserve jobs called ART's (Air Reserve Technitions) that provide daily continuity for the unit. Do an internet search for a flying reserve/guard unit near you and call the flying squadron and ask them about it. They are going to need people.

Can anyone add to this for BRONC?

If your school has Air Force ROTC go there and ask about pilot training. The process for you would be OTS (Officer Training School) which is 6 weeks long and then into flight school. You will have to get acceptable scores on the AFOQT (Air Force Officer Qualification Test) that has some aviation aptitude sections on it. It's been 20 years for me so it may be called something different now. You will know if you get a pilot slot before you commit to anything. Plus, when I was going through, if you washed out of pilot training, you had a choice of whether to stay in the service or get out. Those who were Academy Grads or Scholarship had to stay in to work off their education.

I would also find someone who is in ROTC that is close to graduation and going to pilot training to get their current take on the state of military.

You could also go Navy. I still think a carrier landing is the coolest thing and would love to give it a go!

Also, you should consider the reserves/guard as an alternative to active duty. When the Iraq deal settles down and those guys come home there will be an exodus out of the guard and reserves as many of them have reached their 20 years and I am sure they have had enough of the desert. You go through the same flight school as the active guys then go back to your unit and usually spend a year on active duty with them flying. After that you can pursue a airline job or whatever but still fly and train with the reserves. There are also many full-time reserve jobs called ART's (Air Reserve Technicians) that provide daily continuity for the unit. Do an internet search for a flying reserve/guard unit near you and call the flying squadron and ask them about it. They are going to need people.

Can anyone add to this for BRONC?

Latest posts