Come Work at US Airways !

Leave those jobs for the illegals to fill. I don't know of anyone else who could even try to live off those wages. My kid works P/T 3 days a week in an Ice Cream store, and is in that ballpark. I have no idea where you live, but a $10 an hour job in my area won't even cut it anymore. :eek:

Exactly what job classification makes 10 per hour at Usairways?

Bob CRANDALL was not a genius, he was an opportunist. He was responsible for the proliferation of frequent flyer mileage, which trained the flying public that they deserve to fly free. He started the B scale for employees. Conducted questionable business practices to cause the demise of Braniff. Came in this industry when the legacy carriers at the time were poorly able to handle the Airline Deregulation Act in 1978. After profiting from these pyramid type schemes he knew when to leave the industry. “Always leave them wanting more.â€￾ quote from Bobby Womack.

After his departure, his deeds left American with a competitive advantage and pile of cash that helped them weather the changes in this industry
You are right on about CRANDALL change the industry forever.The republicans love to bring him in on congressional herrings about the airline industry.

:down: Its time the IAM and CWA work together and take over all cities that are outsourced buy this bunch of management theives.

:down: Its time the IAM and CWA work together and take over all cities that are outsourced buy this bunch of management theives.
I totally agree, and the CWA should be fighting to get the furlough language changed to allow CSA extended recall rights like other work groups. The IBT had negotiated a six year recall time frame for AWA agents, but now that the CWA contract was adopted instead of "merging contracts, the no teeth language of the contract is in place. The furlough provisions should be addressed, especially when US Airways will eventually be involved in another corporate transaction

All workers have to embrace change or be swallowed up and spit out by it.

Very good post, I agree. You don't want to work for a crappy wage? Don't! Someone else will. Get an education, learn a trade and work where you have more opportunity.

Today, you gotta adapt to the situation, not wait and hope it adapts to you....

Low wages are part of entry-level work; whether that be working on the ramp, at the gate, at a movie theater, or cashiering at Target. For the most part, most people don't want to do these specific jobs for the rest of their lives. The nature of the work alone is a big part of the reason, so there will always be high turnover regardless of the pay.

Are some people perfectly content performing these jobs forever? Sure they are, and more power to them--but they know when they take these jobs that they have crappy pay.

Then don't complain when you get entry level service from someone who isn't looking forward to doing their job for long. You know, someone who is trying to get one or two free or ID20 trips and then they are gone.

There are still companies, UPS and Southwest for example, that still profit by paying employees a living wage and giving customers what they pay for.

Even though expectations of customers vary widely between the two cited companies the end result is the same. Satisfied customers and profit shared with employees.

And I do know the IBT represents a lot of employees at both companies.

Although $10 an hour sounds good in theory, pay attention to the fact that $10 an hour at 40 hours per week (a full time job!) comes to an annual salary (before taxes) of just under $21,000. You could probably do better on welfare. Even at top salary, an agent makes no more than $36-37,000. Before the merger/acquisition/buyout, HP paid their senior agents $13/hour ($27,000 annual). To repeat my favorite riddle.......What is the difference between a pizza and an airline employee..?......These days, a pizza can still feed a family of 4!

When I first started out, 21 years ago, most of the employees were full-time. We had part-timers (I was one....by choice) who worked only 20 hours per week to supplenment. In the mid 90s, the company re-defined part-time and expanded the part-time hours to 30 per week (and getting paid for 27.5 because of unpaid 30-minute lunch), reducing the need (and ranks) of full-time employees. (In the last few years, part-timers are now working 32.5 hours per week...and paid for 30!) The company loves this equation as they are getting almost full-time service and not having to be responsible for full-time benefits. (The unions love it too as part-timers and full-timers pay the same amount of union dues. As long as they collect your dues, they really don't care who gets screwed.)

As to the unions, they are so in bed with the company that it is beyond belief. They are powerless. The last bankruptcy judge, who gave the company carte blanche to completely throw out the IAM Fleet Service contract, created a frightening moment in the history of organized labor and stripped unions of what little power that was left over from Reagan's rape of unionism in the 80s.....remember the ATC strike? Many of you may also remember that the rampers worked for many years supposedly represented by IAM before they actually GOT a contract. The only union that has anything to say is the pilots' union. And that is only because the only group of employees that are, on a large scale, unreplaceable, are the pilots....and even their contract is no longer sacred.

Since you get what you pay for, trying to find middle-class employees with a middle-class work ethic is impossible when you offer poverty-class opportunities and wages. At least Mickey D feeds you!

A LOT of valid observations here !!

Sadly, the only union jobs(like the good ol' days) are Police, Fire and transit, in BIG cities.

Also Pilots(as already mentioned), Dockworkers(Longshoremen), Nurse's,a few unionized trucking outfits, (very) large waste management outfits.

But you're right, the list is shrinking.

NH/BB's