Company Tells Alpa Too Bad

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
March 31, 2004

This is Jack Stephan with a US Airways MEC update for Wednesday, March 31st, with one new item.

The Negotiating Committee reports that they met with members of management yesterday, March 30, in Crystal City to present and review a letter the Negotiating Committee sent to Jerry Glass, Senior VP of Employee Relations and receive management’s response. This letter detailed the MEC’s list of additional returns to be sought in response to management’s proposal on modified small jet scope language, as the MEC determined that the returns in the Company’s proposal were inadequate for the relief they were seeking. The resolution containing these items is posted on the US Airways pilots only home page.

In attendance for the Company at this meeting included Jerry Glass; Managing Director of Labor Relations-Flight Tony Bralich; VP of Labor Relations Doug McKeen; Manager of Labor Relations-Flight Terry McFall; and Senior VP, Alliances & President of US Airways Express Bruce Ashby. Mr. Glass told the Negotiating Committee that management has not changed their position on any of the issues contained in the letter, stating they had already responded to these issues through the grievance process, that they have been answered through other forums, or that ALPA and management are already in progress on talks concerning several of the issues. Mr. Glass also stated that management has met with the MEC on several occasions and has outlined US Airways’ economic situation and current challenges.

The MEC Officers act at the direction of the Locals. The MEC itself is comprised of the Captain and First officer representatives of the respective bases. Officers are elected by a Senatorial ballot which allowed the small bases od LGA, DCA, BOS +CLT to impose their will on their appointment. All contract modifications, TA's, etc are brought before the MEC composed of the LEC representatives with Bill Pollock as MEC Chairmen with a tie-breaking vote only at which point the MEC can ratify or elect to send it out for group vote. This is done on Senatorial vote but can bo overridden by a motion for a Roll Call vote. A Roll Call vote allows the representatives to cast the total number of votes equal to the pilots they represent. Since PIT and PHL have more pilots than the other bases combined they can prevent a Tenatative Agreement by use of a Roll Call procedure thus ensuring the pilts they represent are accounted for. The agreement returned by the Pilot Negotiating comittee did not meet the returns felt necessary by the PIT and PHL reps so there is no agreement. Bill Pollock position as MEC Chairmen is a figurehead/spokesperson position as he is directed by the will of the MEC.

I fell asleep on a hillside, and dreamt of all unions at U standing as one,
and when I awoke, I could not tell if I were a man dreaming of
solidarity
or if someone slipped some wacky bakky in my cigar last night!

With apologies to Chuang Tzu