Continental heavy maintenance

Birdman

Veteran
Nov 14, 2003
We're being told at American Airlines that we are the only major carrier doing in house heavy maintenance. Can someone confirm that CO is not doing their own heavy's?

I can tell you from keeping in touch with former cowrkers down in IAH, they absolutely do perform some of there heavys at IAH & HOU. They've got a couple 2-3(unsure)737 lines in HOU Hobby and I know at least 1 757 line, maybe a few others at IAH. But they definitely outsource.
I also worked at CAL 88-92. Baadd place to be back then...

Interesting. Can someone that works for CO confirm or even expand on 787's comments. It seems AA is not the only carrier performing in house maintenance, as some claim.

Interesting. Can someone that works for CO confirm or even expand on 787's comments. It seems AA is not the only carrier performing in house maintenance, as some claim.
I am a mechanic for CAL and can answer some questions. We perform a fragmented c-check. about 3 lines in Houston and 2 lines in Orlando, thats it. Now most people at CAL consider this a heavy check, but in reality, it's not.
The reason AA still does "heavy checks" is the OSM's you guys have at low pay. CAL everyone is a mechanic with an A&P, besides the few grandfathered guys. And paid as A&P's.

Thanks whoop. I'm sure most airlines differ on the scope of their checks. Has CO proposed bringing more work in house?

Thanks whoop. I'm sure most airlines differ on the scope of their checks. Has CO proposed bringing more work in house?
No, they have brought more work in house than they are contractualy obligated to. Our contract only secures us 1 737 c-check.

I am a mechanic for CAL and can answer some questions. We perform a fragmented c-check. about 3 lines in Houston and 2 lines in Orlando, thats it. Now most people at CAL consider this a heavy check, but in reality, it's not.
The reason AA still does "heavy checks" is the OSM's you guys have at low pay. CAL everyone is a mechanic with an A&P, besides the few grandfathered guys. And paid as A&P's.

whoop whoop...pull up! :lol:
Forgot about MCO checkline...
send me a PMsg...who you be?
I wkd at CAL from 88-92 HOU & IAH before heading off to NWA.

No, they have brought more work in house than they are contractualy obligated to. Our contract only secures us 1 737 c-check.
So CAL does more in house than they have to with all A&Ps. So even at $33 per hour its cheaper than outsourcing.

At AA our average dosts are significantly lower due to the OSMs, Parts Washers and cleaners. the figure that comes to mind is $27/hr.

Thanks for the info and I hope you guys Vote No like we did. We need to restore the profession!

Back