Delta heavy maintenance

Birdman

Veteran
Nov 14, 2003
Many are claiming American Airlines is the only carrier performing it's own heavy maintenance in house. Can anyone confirm that Delta is not performing any heavy in house maintenance?

AA does not outsource heavy mtc, US does 737s, A320 family 757s in-house as some checks on the widebodies too, DL does both, they do some checks and outsource, I believe all the NW fleet is outsourced as is some of DL's fleet.

Many are claiming American Airlines is the only carrier performing it's own heavy maintenance in house. Can anyone confirm that Delta is not performing any heavy in house maintenance?
We used to do almost all airframe work in house. As of right now most of the longest checks, those that can put an airframe in the dock for 20-30 days are done by vendors. We still do most of the shorter duration checks in house. These take the plane out of service for a 4 to 7 day visit. We also in source those same types of checks for airlines like World, LAN Chile, North American, as well as the US Navy, US Air Force, and Boeing BBJ owners.

The DL program calls these checks Package Service Visits. The biggest difference from a HMV is the interior at PSV stays in. Only a few areas get opened. Mostly the cargo ceilings get lowered to allow inspection under the lavs and galleys for corrosion. During HMV the lavs and galleys get removed. For the rest of the aircraft it is very similar to an HMV.

The only exception is the 777 fleet. So far all of the visits have been done in house. This has been true for the 737NG fleet, but the longest checks are coming due soon and they will be done by a vendor. We simply don't have the space anymore to do them in house.

Before I left NWA, Ma Delta said that it was looking in to doing more maintenance in house and going as far as claiming to want to fill the vendor roll for other airlines where they had staff on the ground. Very sad, that we Americans, can't find a way to keep more of our work in house and take care of our own. "Redtail the Movie" is old news but tells a great story of the greed that ruined the business for many dedicated employees. http://www.redtailmovie.com/page15/trailer.html

The only exception is the 777 fleet. So far all of the visits have been done in house. This has been true for the 737NG fleet, but the longest checks are coming due soon and they will be done by a vendor. We simply don't have the space anymore to do them in house.
So are you saying you do all the heavy and light checks on the 777? Your in Atlanta and out of hangar space as well? It appears Delta is doing a great deal of in house and MRO work.

So are you saying you do all the heavy and light checks on the 777? Your in Atlanta and out of hangar space as well? It appears Delta is doing a great deal of in house and MRO work.
Latest rumor is the MD88 letter check is moving to MSP this fall. That would require hiring 50-60 AMTs to staff. Our guess is they want the bay space to bring the A320 check line in house to ATL. We have been adding AMTs in ATL. The recall list for ATL is empty except for those on military duty. In July we added about 50 AMTs. These are the first in ATL since I think 2001. All the positions were filled internally with ASMs upgrading. That is most of the ASMs that have an A&P we think so the next round will come in as new hires. Since 2001 the only way in was to go to a station like LGA and then try to transfer after the minimum 24month stay.

Yes we are out of space in ATL. during chpt 11 we gave up the old EA hangar on the north side of the field as well as the TPA and DFW hangars. TPA did PSV work and DFW did PSV and HMV work. Our shops in ATL are bringing in a ton of insource work. Engines have always been a money maker for TechOps.

Delta continues to say that it is the largest airline MRO in the US because of the insourcing work it does so the notion that DL is giving away work and not getting anything in return is not accurate.

Not only has DL reworked its maintenance as DALMD88 to break heavy maintenance into smaller "pieces" that can be done but DL has also brought in high value component and engine maintenance FROM other airlines whcih results in the need for higher qualified mechanics. DL is able to outsource because DL Tech Ops does work far more efficiently than other US MROs and they frequently exceed customer expectations with respect to promised deadlines as well as the quality of the work they do.

DALMDi88 can also advise how much of the MOD work is being done inhouse - alot is being outsourced - but remember also that DL is doing an enormous amount of fleet upgrading from adding WiFi to narrowbodies to full seating changes and new IFE installation. The logistics of doing all of these upgrades on top of the usual maintenance which an airline fleet requires is enormous.

While there will always be people who will find fault with the way DL runs its maintenance operation, Tech Ops is one of the best run departments in the company and can compete with the best of the best globally.

As I can see your not an AMT, it doesnt take a more "qualified" AMT to fix components and engines, all it does it take more training. Go look around the MROs and Vendors where most component and engine work is done, many of them dont even have an A&P license. Many shops that airlines have or use to have dont require a license to fix, maintain or overhaul components, just one AMT to sign off the work.

So please show me how an AMT who overhauls an airplane and signing for his work is less qualified than someone sitting at a work bench or the AMT on the line, who troubleshoots what is wrong with the plane and then fixes it?

Your statement is an insults to the AMT Profession.

The recall list for ATL is empty except for those on military duty. I to transfer after the minimum 24month stay.

Good to hear.

Yes we are out of space in ATL. during chpt 11 we gave up the old EA hangar on the north side of the field as well as the TPA and DFW hangars. TPA did PSV work and DFW did PSV and HMV work. Our shops in ATL are bringing in a ton of insource work. Engines have always been a money maker for TechOps.

Just out of curiosity, whatever became of the old NW hangar in ATL? Does DL still own it?

As I can see your not an AMT, it doesnt take a more "qualified" AMT to fix components and engines, all it does it take more training. Go look around the MROs and Vendors where most component and engine work is done, many of them dont even have an A&P license. Many shops that airlines have or use to have dont require a license to fix, maintain or overhaul components, just one AMT to sign off the work.

So please show me how an AMT who overhauls an airplane and signing for his work is less qualified than someone sitting at a work bench or the AMT on the line, who troubleshoots what is wrong with the plane and then fixes it?

Your statement is an insults to the AMT Profession.

i dont think it would be 'more qualified' but 'differently' qualifed with 'different' training. Generally, MRO technicians sign work off using the facilitys repair station certification as as their legal requirement.

An A&P has to sign the logbooks and check paperwork, a repair station doesnt have a blanket license for unlicensed mechanics to sign off work, the work is done under the repair certificate but an A&P still must sign off the paperwork.

Good to hear.

Just out of curiosity, whatever became of the old NW hangar in ATL? Does DL still own it?

Im unsure whether we still own it or not. I do know that it is sitting empty right now because of environmental concerns. Apparently the hangar has asbestos issues and the ground around it has pollution problems. I havent seen any official info on this, but thats what the word is.

its good to hear delta is doing alot of work in house as I thought I heard delta layoff and started out sourceing there work a couple of years ago I thought they laid off a couple thousand mech. overnight

Im unsure whether we still own it or not. I do know that it is sitting empty right now because of environmental concerns. Apparently the hangar has asbestos issues and the ground around it has pollution problems. I havent seen any official info on this, but thats what the word is.

Thanks for the info...

I'm sure it's "this close" to being a Superfund site (IIRC, that was why a deal with UPS fell through?), but just wondered if it could be utilized in a pinch for the 9's/MD88's if nothing else.

Thanks for the info...

I'm sure it's "this close" to being a Superfund site (IIRC, that was why a deal with UPS fell through?), but just wondered if it could be utilized in a pinch for the 9's/MD88's if nothing else.
I think NW gave it up years ago. Of course we are still on the hook for any enviromental issues, but I don't think we can use it without a new lease from the city.

Latest posts

Back