Delta heavy maintenance

As I can see your not an AMT, it doesnt take a more "qualified" AMT to fix components and engines, all it does it take more training. Go look around the MROs and Vendors where most component and engine work is done, many of them dont even have an A&P license. Many shops that airlines have or use to have dont require a license to fix, maintain or overhaul components, just one AMT to sign off the work.

So please show me how an AMT who overhauls an airplane and signing for his work is less qualified than someone sitting at a work bench or the AMT on the line, who troubleshoots what is wrong with the plane and then fixes it?

Your statement is an insults to the AMT Profession.
The reality is that there are higher percentages of AMTs in DL's engine shops than there are in other parts of their Tech Ops operation - and certainly more than in many outsourced MROs, so DL is in fact creating more high value jobs by insourcing engine maintenance and outsourcing lower value work.
As you can see, DL has physical limits on what it can do and it is keeping more high value work in-house including doing alot of it for other airlines while allowing lower value work to be outsourced.

That reality is actually quite AFFIRMING to those people who have bothered to get their AMTs..

Kev,
the EA facility was far more capable than the old NW facility and DL chose to give it up along with the DFW facility... so the chances of DL reopening the ex-NW ATL facility are slim to none.

While we are on the topic, can you or summarize the maintenance facillties DL inherited with the merger along w/ their general capabilities, and whatwork is currently being done there?

While we are on the topic, can you or summarize the maintenance facillties DL inherited with the merger along w/ their general capabilities, and whatwork is currently being done there?
I really don't know how much real estate we got in the merger. I think NW had gotten rid of a bunch of hangars by the time we merged. There is some space in MSP that is being used for line work and some short term visits. I don't know how many bays are available.

I really don't know how much real estate we got in the merger. I think NW had gotten rid of a bunch of hangars by the time we merged. There is some space in MSP that is being used for line work and some short term visits. I don't know how many bays are available.
What happened to the facilities that NW built as part of its agreements with MN? Can't remember the locations but they weren't at MSP.... were they dumped in BK?

We had hangars in SEA, MSP, and DTW. SEA did DC10 work, and then A330 stuff. No idea on number of bays for any of them. There was also one in ORD, though I'm not sure if we were still using it or if it was dumped prior. Before BK, we also had a huge facility in DLH, and a small hangar in CMH. I'm probably missing one or two from the PMNW list... And of course, we also had many line stations that were staffed prior to the strike....

Did NW retain any heavy maintenance facilities coming OUT of BK?

Hopefully DL will reactivate something in the northern tier of states....

Most NW hangars in MSP have been demolished. Anyone know the status of NW's former hangar in ATL?

Thanks for the info...

I'm sure it's "this close" to being a Superfund site (IIRC, that was why a deal with UPS fell through?), but just wondered if it could be utilized in a pinch for the 9's/MD88's if nothing else.

I was on the HAZWOPER team there and was aware of all the issues with the plating/plasma spray shops and the waste treatment plant. I am quite sure that all had much to do with the closing of the hangar and its continued vacancy.

We had hangars in SEA, MSP, and DTW. SEA did DC10 work, and then A330 stuff. No idea on number of bays for any of them. There was also one in ORD, though I'm not sure if we were still using it or if it was dumped prior. Before BK, we also had a huge facility in DLH, and a small hangar in CMH. I'm probably missing one or two from the PMNW list... And of course, we also had many line stations that were staffed prior to the strike....

I think there was one in JFK.

Looks like DLH is vacant again, and probably available for a song. Cirrus had been leasing it for about two years, and bailed out last September after the market for their proposed Vision small jet evaporated...

Whether or not DL would want to go back to DLH is another story, but all things can change at the bargaining table...

I was on the HAZWOPER team there and was aware of all the issues with the plating/plasma spray shops and the waste treatment plant. I am quite sure that all had much to do with the closing of the hangar and its continued vacancy.

I can only imagine what's still oozing out of the place...

I think there was one in JFK.

Really? I don't remember there being one, but you'd certainly know better than I. Certainly makes sense given the flight activity the place once had...

Looks like DLH is vacant again, and probably available for a song. Cirrus had been leasing it for about two years, and bailed out last September after the market for their proposed Vision small jet evaporated...

Whether or not DL would want to go back to DLH is another story, but all things can change at the bargaining table...

IMO, getting DLH back online would be a huge boost for DL. Not sure how many people would want to go back there, but...

Really? I don't remember there being one, but you'd certainly know better than I. Certainly makes sense given the flight activity the place once had...

I also don't remember NW having a JFK hangar unless it was one of the ancient arched ones located off Rockaway Blvd. They had mechanics, but kept the JFK-NRT 744 on the gate pretty much the entire ground time before AA took over the terminal in the 90's.

Latest rumor is the MD88 letter check is moving to MSP this fall. That would require hiring 50-60 AMTs to staff. Our guess is they want the bay space to bring the A320 check line in house to ATL. We have been adding AMTs in ATL. The recall list for ATL is empty except for those on military duty. In July we added about 50 AMTs. These are the first in ATL since I think 2001. All the positions were filled internally with ASMs upgrading. That is most of the ASMs that have an A&P we think so the next round will come in as new hires. Since 2001 the only way in was to go to a station like LGA and then try to transfer after the minimum 24month stay.

Yes we are out of space in ATL. during chpt 11 we gave up the old EA hangar on the north side of the field as well as the TPA and DFW hangars. TPA did PSV work and DFW did PSV and HMV work. Our shops in ATL are bringing in a ton of insource work. Engines have always been a money maker for TechOps.
Just curious, as an AMT at AA what is an ASM, and what is his/her's job function. Do they work support shops, or do they work in the hangers next AMT's getting paid for 1 license instead of 2, just curious.

Just curious, as an AMT at AA what is an ASM, and what is his/her's job function. Do they work support shops, or do they work in the hangers next AMT's getting paid for 1 license instead of 2, just curious.
ASM's don't need to have an A&P. Many are used in our cabin conditioning program. A group will go on a plane during either a hangar visit or an overnight line visit and sweep through the cabin fixing the broken window shades, armrests, tray tables, overhead bins. They also do all the carpet and linolium changes. There are a hand full of AMTs that also work in this department that do all the airworthiness stuff like seat changes. Also all the leads in this department are AMTs.
Some are also assigned to each PSV bay. There they are used for different tasks. Originally they were only going to do open up and lube work. Some bays still do it this way. Someplaces use them just like a new hire mechanic. They might get teamed up with a AMT to work on a sheetmetal job, or do all the routine tasks on an engine. There is a program for these guys to get their A&P this way. They have to keep records of what they do and have a lead sign the record. It takes a while to get their A&P, but it is way cheaper than going to school.

Latest posts

Back