Continued Losses

casual rat said:
What I find disrespectful is that he comes in here to flame his former coworkers. Not to mention he resorts to name calling and twists facts whenever he sees fit.

[post="231402"][/post]​

It's kind of like when you where in grade school, kids called you names. It probably upset you then and you just haven't been able to let it go. Sure MrFish flames people, but actually to your detriment it's quite entertaining to the rest of us to see you and other get all worked up over some words typed on a key board.

As for the facts, you nor MrFish or I, for that matter have all the facts unless you are sitting with Tilton, Brace, Macdonald, and the rest of the brain trust trying to right this sinking ship. So, enjoy the "entertainment", and read what you want out of the "Facts" that are typed here.

no spiked eggnog for me this season. Everything I've written has been w/ a completelyi clear mine - although at times a bit tongue in cheek.

I have enjoyed these past few days with family and trust each of you have enjoyed the holidays in your own way.

The unions have no control over whether UAL can terminate the pensions without obligations. Those decisions will be made by federal judges who are enforcing and interpreting the same laws UAL is combing through to look for benefits for itself. Given the huge stakes on both sides, it is doubtful that any closure will come in the near future since appeals are likely to be plentiful.

WorldTraveler said:
Given the huge stakes on both sides, it is doubtful that any closure will come in the near future since appeals are likely to be plentiful.
[post="231936"][/post]​

Mark my words. Closure will be here by summer, and more probably by January or so.

Happy Holidays.

North by Northwest said:
One is seriously mistaken if one believes United cannot be forced into liquidation over the failed pension issue.
[post="231566"][/post]​

This is true and it's also true that no one is going to benefit from liquidation BUT this management has not been forthcoming in it's plea for all employees to work together towards a common goal of saving UAL. There are extreme inequities and this management HAS been forthcoming in it's desire to attempt to maintain the status quo. The managers and pilots know that they cannot replace their current status however most all of the other employees know that they can easily find new digs that will easily rival what has become an increasingly unattractive career choice. The BIG problem is that this is a labor intensive industry and as such it is those trench workers that keep the whole thing going. Just look at what happened over this Christmas holiday and you can clearly see what a $59 coast to coast ticket means - a collapse of quality. I have no sympathy for the whining customers - they are getting exactly what they paid for and it's not just lost bags, it's also hidden, waiting maintenance snafus that will rear their ugly heads at the most inopportune time. I've been in aviation all my life and believe me, it is completely intolerant of laxisms and shortcuts.

For these reasons I have decided that my new years resolution is to get out of this business as soon as is prudently possible. I no longer want to have anything to do with it.

Borescope said:
It's kind of like when you where in grade school, kids called you names. It probably upset you then and you just haven't been able to let it go. Sure MrFish flames people, but actually to your detriment it's quite entertaining to the rest of us to see you and other get all worked up over some words typed on a key board.

As for the facts, you nor MrFish or I, for that matter have all the facts unless you are sitting with Tilton, Brace, Macdonald, and the rest of the brain trust trying to right this sinking ship. So, enjoy the "entertainment", and read what you want out of the "Facts" that are typed here.
[post="231915"][/post]​

Trust me, I have fun with it too. I think the problem that UA has, and I've said it before, is that we have 'administrators' running the ship--not 'managers'. They're so worried about covering their ass, that it paralyzes any 'progressive' ideas from taking form. Jack Brace took us from a company making billions of dollars to one that bleeds red ink. Some of the faux pas that guy has overseen makes it amazing that he's still here. You think Donald Trump would hire that guy on a reality show?

casual rat said:
I think the problem that UA has, and I've said it before, is that we have 'administrators' running the ship--not 'managers'. They're so worried about covering their ass, that it paralyzes any 'progressive' ideas from taking form.
[post="232147"][/post]​

I agree completely, you've hit it right on the head.

kcabpilot said:
This is true and it's also true that no one is going to benefit from liquidation BUT this management has not been forthcoming in it's plea for all employees to work together towards a common goal of saving UAL. There are extreme inequities and this management HAS been forthcoming in it's desire to attempt to maintain the status quo. The managers and pilots know that they cannot replace their current status however most all of the other employees know that they can easily find new digs that will easily rival what has become an increasingly unattractive career choice. The BIG problem is that this is a labor intensive industry and as such it is those trench workers that keep the whole thing going. Just look at what happened over this Christmas holiday and you can clearly see what a $59 coast to coast ticket means - a collapse of quality. I have no sympathy for the whining customers - they are getting exactly what they paid for and it's not just lost bags, it's also hidden, waiting maintenance snafus that will rear their ugly heads at the most inopportune time. I've been in aviation all my life and believe me, it is completely intolerant of laxisms and shortcuts.
[post="232138"][/post]​
Those shorcuts are being taken already...at least IN the cabins. I have NEVER seen so many 'deferred' cabin write-ups. Seems like there are at least 5 or so on each airplane I'm on. One has to wonder what sort of shortcuts are being taken with the airplane's guts and structure.

I don't want to be on the first one that drops out of the sky. And you hit the nail on the head with your statement about finding new digs. My resume is getting polished off during the Christmas break and fortunately my financial situation will allow me to be in nursing school full time.

This job is fast becomming not worth the real possibility of a safety or security incident. It's only a matter of time before some catastrophe happens. The Christmas fiasco was an ominous warning; a complete breakdown that should not be taken lightly.

spacewaitress said:
Those shorcuts are being taken already...at least IN the cabins. I have NEVER seen so many 'deferred' cabin write-ups. Seems like there are at least 5 or so on each airplane I'm on. One has to wonder what sort of shortcuts are being taken with the airplane's guts and structure.

I don't want to be on the first one that drops out of the sky. And you hit the nail on the head with your statement about finding new digs. My resume is getting polished off during the Christmas break and fortunately my financial situation will allow me to be in nursing school full time.

This job is fast becomming not worth the real possibility of a safety or security incident. It's only a matter of time before some catastrophe happens. The Christmas fiasco was an ominous warning; a complete breakdown that should not be taken lightly.
[post="232240"][/post]​
Okay Space, I've been really busy but here's the deal.....3 guys in my area already turned in their voluntary furlough papers. I passed my first exams with 2 public utilities and have been invited to second round interviews with both. I have also had replies from local transport, FedEx and Ups. I grew up at United and in aviation but I am leaving on the first train out of here. More stuff is being pencil whipped by management, parts are non-existant, and the REAL talent pool is leaving. Take it for what it's worth......

The Ronin said:
Okay Space, I've been really busy but here's the deal.....3 guys in my area already turned in their voluntary furlough papers. I passed my first exams with 2 public utilities and have been invited to second round interviews with both. I have also had replies from local transport, FedEx and Ups. I grew up at United and in aviation but I am leaving on the first train out of here. More stuff is being pencil whipped by management, parts are non-existant, and the REAL talent pool is leaving. Take it for what it's worth......
[post="232258"][/post]​
Good luck Ronin...sorry to say just as I expected re: UAL. God help us!

Ronin and Space - I to am considering a career change. I'm a little tired of this same ole story and a job that has turned thankless and management that has turned clueless.

I don't quite yet know what i want to do, but I also don't want to have to decide abruptly. I just don't see this company pulling out of it's tailspin anytime soon.

uafa21 said:
Ronin and Space - I to am considering a career change. I'm a little tired of this same ole story and a job that has turned thankless and management that has turned clueless.

I don't quite yet know what i want to do, but I also don't want to have to decide abruptly. I just don't see this company pulling out of it's tailspin anytime soon.
[post="232381"][/post]​
Sadly, long term careers at ANY American company (not just the airline biz) is nolonger realistic. They are too busy pumping up the share price and rewarding dumba$$ CEO for setting employees into the street. With slave labor costs at 00.64 cents an hour in China and India...we have only just begun to see the tip of the ICEBERG called outsourcing. American corporations (Republicans AND Democrats are guilty) should be forced to maintain a certain level of operations here (at a level that pays a wage on par with the coast of living) or face stiff tariffs on their products. That's how the Euros do it. That's how the Japanese do it. I can't wait to see the comments from these "cheap price" mongering reporters when the employees of LCC's get tired of not being able to live on $14,000. dollars a year!

Only trouble is while the cost of living is much lower in China and India, what'll happen when the Ethiopians start competing in the World Labor Marketplace? There won't be anymore 'commercialized Christmas' anymore, that's for sure! Maybe Corporations'll get more VPs on board to convince people to write checks they can't cash--or else...Hey, minimum wage goes up next week.

The company reported it's loss for the 4th quater. Take your pick, $493, $664 or $553 million. A lot. For the year the company lost $1.6 billion compared to $2.8 billion in 2003.

Looks like we are not subsidizing Ua enough. I wonder how much more they will ask for in 6 months and I also wonder if Tilton is still going to be on his high?

Latest posts