Count them....10!

RJ''s are better than props 100% of the time. No passenger will argue otherwise.

However, ATA, JetBlue, AirTran, and Southwest do not fly ANY RJ''s....

At some point you must offer something the other guys don''t because you sure as hell are not going to beat them on CASM''s????

----------------
On 4/20/2003 6:20:58 PM deelmakur wrote:

Whatever they do, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the customer will go along. I''m a deal guy (as the moniker suggests), and as such, I get to see a side view of many industries. What stands out in my mind about this one, is the propensity for decision making in a vacuum. They never seem to take into account the notion that a competitor might see it differently. It''s very clever to size your operation to your costs, but that doesn''t always work. Putting more people on smaller planes, and flying those further, because they happen to have the range, might just not be the slam dunk some folks seem to be expecting.

----------------​
This is an excellent point from an outside perspective. I know for a fact that Airtran and Southwest are lurking and waiting for us to vacate some markets with mainline service.
As soon as we leave and sub our service with the
Replacement Jets, look for them to show up. The RJ Express operation is a good move to replace the props, but not always a good move to take over mainline flying. Our costs should be in line enough for us to stand up and fight with the LCC''s. If we keep running as we have in the past, we will fly between the hubs and nothing more.

Your information is bogus, ATL is a mainline station and has to remain one as it is one of the 18 maintenance stations and the company cannot reduce below 18 maintenance stations per the IAM mechanic and related contract.

look man, all I know is that ATL is NOT going to have any mainline flights in or out after June 8. That is a fact. check in sabre, brother.

I have a R/T PIT-ATL in mid-June, originally all mainline.. Woulda booked Delta but USAirways had the earliest morning flights by over 2 hours at the time and I needed to get back early. Checked my reservation, price had dropped and MOST flights had converted to express. Only one exception for that weekend: last Sunday flight (at 7:40pm on Sunday) is still a big jet (or bigger jet -- 737-300).

Delta is still flying the big jets (bigger, again I guess - MD80s) on most flights, and AirTran is well AirTran and flying their big jets on the same route. I know PIT-ATL is one of the higher O&D routes out of Pittsburgh so I guess AirTran took USAirways chunk when they moved in. or something. Next time it's Delta for me.

Edit: Actually two of three non-stop flights from ATL-PIT that Sunday are 733s-- only the midday (3pm) one is an ERJ. Maybe they're phasing out and trying to shuffle us through CLT?

----------------
On 4/20/2003 6:20:02 PM a320av8r wrote:

Recently heard that...
The rumor I heard was...
The rumor is...

I wouldn''t get my panties in a knot until there are facts.

A320....don''t worry about getting your panties in a knot, worry about soiling them.....

----------------
On 4/20/2003 6:02:48 PM Seatacus wrote:

I''ve said it before... the rumor I heard is....any station within a 250 radius of major destination or hub will be express. No talk of RJ''s in SEA yet

SEA....how much of a presence does UA have in SEA? And where do the go from there? It may be a codeshare candidate.....

----------------
On 4/20/2003 6:02:48 PM Seatacus wrote:

I''ve said it before... the rumor I heard is....any station within a 250 radius of major destination or hub will be express. No talk of RJ''s in SEA yet

As a follow-up question.....what type of flying range do these EJ'' RJ'' have? I know Mesa flys them PHX?DFW with ease....is 2K miles an easy hop for these?

----------------
On 4/20/2003 7:56:04 PM brandnewsin1 wrote:

MKE, MSP, ATL, STL, MEM, BTV, CLE

These are expressed as of June8.

To be honest, MSP and ATL are odd. Ive tried to get on these flights out of PIT and they are always full both ways. MESA is doing BOS and PWM now, and plan on adding MHT, SCE (!?), and MDT (!?!?!?) as early as Aug.

This info is straight from a memo passed out to MESA MTC workers at CMH.

----------------​
I don''t know of MSP going to express.......

You Guys,
Look at the begining message with referance to timeclocks.
We were advised by our shift manager in clt the company and EDS are going to try a computer program of an administrative time system to be run as a pilot program in these 10 mainline cities first. The company has done many programs in the past in a few TEST CITIES, and this is just another one.

Don''t start rumors without all of the facts.

Hello,
The only station closings announced for the June schedule change were CLE ,MKE,and MDW.As you know MDW will now remain open.CLE and MKE are going mainline express.Those announcements were made on March 28th.I'm not sure if the "plant closing" laws apply but US Airways has been giving about 60 days notice in instances where a station is closed and converted to express.If the agents in the other stations that have been mentioned haven't been notified yet,it's not likely that they're included in this round.It doesn't mean they won't be included somewhere down the line.I think this is just the beginning.
I don't know about BTV or STL but MEM was closed, I believe, in February.The company refused to allow MEM to fall under the mainline express agreement. The IAM argued for it but US Airways said the closing was announced before the last extortion agreement had been ratified and it didn't apply to them.How's that for a labor friendly bankruptcy!

----------------
On 4/20/2003 7:56:04 PM brandnewsin1 wrote:

MKE, MSP, ATL, STL, MEM, BTV, CLE

These are expressed as of June8.

To be honest, MSP and ATL are odd. Ive tried to get on these flights out of PIT and they are always full both ways. MESA is doing BOS and PWM now, and plan on adding MHT, SCE (!?), and MDT (!?!?!?) as early as Aug.

This info is straight from a memo passed out to MESA MTC workers at CMH.

----------------​
what about PNS

Boof,you are correct.The contract does say 18 mtc stations.But it doesn''t say in what cities.They could close ATL or any sta.they want as long as there are 18 mtc stations in the cities of there choice.

----------------
On 4/21/2003 9:02:28 AM 1ab wrote:

what about PNS

----------------
With all the recent conversions from mainline to RJ, I figure that PNS and ILM are now probably the smallest stations that still have mainline. I figure both will eventually get converted over to RJ''s once US gets some of the larger 70 seat RJ''s. It''d be nice if after yanking mainline from these markets, US might give them access to another hub..ILM-PIT or PNS-PIT (assuming PIT survives as a hub).

What''s the rule for mainline flights? Could US bring 2 or 3 mainline flights for the spring/summer months (which are the peak for traffic at ILM and PNS) and then drop back to RJ''s in the fall/winter and still keep it an express station?