Crandall says AA needs to clean Delta's clock

nycbusdriver said:

He doesn't do that.  Scooter (Kirby), either.  They may VISIT these places and do some glad-handing, but never leading the charge.  They do, however, hold "town hall" type meetings with the employees at various times, and with the crews at ther training centers.  Normally they tried to do that every month, but have excused themselves for most of 2013 claiming to be too busy with the merger (which is probably true,)

wings396 said:
The most likely reason that you don't see Parker or Kirby out and about is labor unrest. If they finally decided to take equal care of all workgroups, they wouldn't have to worry about getting ripped apart during station visits. Ever notice that they only show certain select town halls, with most being only crews or HDQ folks? What do you think the ones in PHL or CLT may look like with a bunch of rampers and mechanic's speaking their piece? BTW, meetings with Doug and crew are far and few between in either of those cities.

That's what I thought (though I could very much be incorrect). I never viewed Parker/Kirby has the Jetblue/Southwest-CEO types. I know that JetBlue founder David Neelman and Southwest founder Herb Kelleher would often meet (and sometimes assist) ramp guys, etc. Now that's how I would run the company, no matter how much I was making.

WorldTraveler said:
bingo... taking the locks of the C suite at Centerport is one thing but actually rubbing shoulders with the real workers is not a risk you want to take when this forum would no longer exist without labor unrest at AA and US.

I wouldn't be suprirsed to see some more "unrest" when various unions start to find out just how much Parker & Co. are making and will be making in the future. <_<

so true , Parker gets 15 million and we get pizza , total bullshit ! The management team at US Air cares about 1 thing , taking care of themselves .

Reactions: 1 person

Don't forget all these guys belong to a very exclusive club.......When each one passes the torch to their successor, their status in that club increases.
My bet is that after that 24 hours, they emerge laughing with their arms around one another.
That would be OK because, since AA NEVER has had to worry about UAL, it definitely would mean the Grim Reaper was casting a eye on the RED NECKS in HOT-LANTA !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I find it humorous that WT has the balls to second-guess Crandall's assessment of a situation.

Crandall was at the bell ringing, and reportedly was all hugs with Parker, and ignored Horton.

WT was probably sitting in his boxers at his kitchen table...

Reactions: 3 people
... I don't really care what Crandall says.... he has a bias just like everyone else but he has no more ability to move the industry than anyone else.

You also can't deny that he has vested financial interest in AA and thus is going to do what he has to do to keep the cash flowing into his pocket.

Most of all, he has yet to say that AA CAN clean DL's clock even if he recognizes it is necessary if AA has a long term chance of thriving.

It is a great acknowledgment of the strength of DL's business that AA's former CEO thinks that AA needs to clean DL's clock, though.

He does express quite well the frustration that AA people have had for years that DL has been taking valuable business from AA and continues to do so.

His comments validates what I have been saying on here for years.

Reactions: 2 people
Reactions: 5 people
I don't care where he went to college or B school.

As much as you want to find someone to validate you, he still doesn't say that AA CAN beat DL, just that they need to.

If you want to hang onto his every word, why don't you ask yourself the question of why DL has been such an enormous threat to AA and if anyone including him expect that AA can ever recover all of the ground they lost to DL, esp. in NYC.

Since AA is still cancelling markets at JFK, the bleeding is far from over. Meanwhile, DL continues to increase its NYC revenues.

Reactions: 3 people
You are really reaching, your whole Delta world is crumbling down around you and you cant handle it.

And last time I checked Jetblue was largest airline at JFK, not Delta.

And AA is second at LGA to DL.

http://youtu.be/5j2F4VcBmeo

WorldTraveler said:
... I don't really care what Crandall says....
Of course you don't. :rolleyes:

he has a bias just like everyone else but he has no more ability to move the industry than anyone else.
Maybe, maybe not. Either way, when he talks people still listen.

It is a great acknowledgment of the strength of DL's business that AA's former CEO thinks that AA needs to clean DL's clock, though.
Has anyone argued otherwise?

Wt just bec crandall may be biased how do u explain yourself when u turn every thread into pro delta and all he!! To the other airlines thats how your posts read to me. Yes I have taken some topics off course but I do my best to bring it back on course sometimes.

Robbed,
This is the absolutely last thread where you need to apologize for talking about AA-DL. The fact that AA’s former CEO is highlighting the aggressively competitive environment that exists between AA and DL shows that what I have been talking about online for a decade is very much real.
His statement demonstrates that he is very much aware that DL has done real damage to AA’s network and there is plenty of evidence to show that DL, not other carriers, have targeted AA.
Since there are dozens of people who feel they need to debate my points, then either I am right and it doesn’t matter how far down they have to stoop to make their point or else we are all just peons.
The irony is that in the next year it will be WN and other LCCS, not DL who will take the biggest swing in AA’s top markets; by the end of the year, AA might be wishing it was competing with DL instead of WN and the LCCs. WN and friends will be gaining 20% of the slots that newAA has at DCA which could easily translate into 1/3 of the total number of seats; they will be expanding from FLL and Texas to Latin America as no other carriers have ever done; and then WN will be adding and reallocating thousands of seats at DAL into directly competitive markets with AA.

But since people listen when he talks, perhaps you, Kev, would like to ask him:
1. How much retirement does he get from AA every year so that he will say “yes” to any plan to keep the cash flowing?
2. Was it really worth staying out of BK for 6 years after DL now that it is obvious the advantage that DL gained at AA’s expense – and AA ended up there ultimately, as I long predicted they would?
3. How does it feel when he looks at schedules from JFK that by next summer show that DL has more than twice as many seats as AA in a market which was AA’s home not that many years ago? How does it feel that DL will have more seats in AA’s backbone JFK-LAX route and will also carry the cargo revenue that AA decided to walk away from yet DL can capture using the same 767-300s that AA flies? How about JFK-SJU, another decades old AA strength market where DL will have twice as many seats as AA and B6 will have even more?
4. Do you not spit nails when you think about giving up AA’s entire slot portfolio at DCA to competitors esp. when many of the slots will be targeted in AA’s top markets?
5. Does your stomach get sick every time you think about Oct 2014 when the Wright Amendment game that you orchestrated for years comes to an end and WN is finally able to unleash decades of frustration at AA?
6. What trick would you suggest AA mgmt use to stop the full-scale onslaught of new capacity that will rush into Latin America, mostly in AA’s top cities to the region?
7. Is it really viable to continue to think that AA can build a west coast-Asia presence in light of the thousand other markets that AA will have to face that are in reality far more essential to AA’s long-term existence?

Crandall’s comments validate totally that DL has been a major thorn in AA’s side for years and that DL has gained an incredible strategic advantage at AA’s expense over the past 8 years but the irony is that the combined forces of B6, DL, and WN will throw far more competitive pressure on AA than has ever been faced by any one airline in such a short period of time.

We’ll all be very interested in knowing what he has to say a year from now.