Ctd's Great Western Tour 2003

The gang captured in a rare moment of sobriety. From here, it got ugly. Uglier.

On to the Island, where touchdown was busy preparing the steaks and halibut cheeks. Good thing too, because we really haven't been eating very well so far....
smiley_watchout.gif

The next day, touchdown gave us a guided tour of the road to Tofino. Here he is, gassing up the UN vehicle.

Bunny-kissing Tree-huggers, attempting to prevent a 61 from lifting this cedar to the landing.

A picnic on the beach at Long Beach in Pacific Rim National Park. Fine wine, smoked salmon, fine cheeses.

Post and attachment deleted to make room for last picture.

Top of the Okanagan brought us to 100ft's house where more surf and turf, fine wines, and better company was waiting. A mighty good spread was laid out and summarily polished off. The hot tub provided a welcome warm-up and set us up for a good night's sleep before the weather turned cold...

The view from the 100ft deck at sunset. Poor buggers have to look at this all the time. Glad we got out when we did.

The next day was much colder - only about 3ºC for most of the trip to the Kootenay Lake area. We saw the Ainsworth Hot Springs on the map, and having been spoiled by 100ft's hot tub, that's where we headed. The water in the caves was over 40º, and soaked away the road for most of the evening and the next morning.

A few days later, after doing the Logan Pass in Montana in the driving rain and freezing temperatures, we were treated to a windy and snowy greeting in Kananaskis at the Highwood Pass. I should have known better, but SWMBO wanted to see the pass and....

The trip home to YOW was fairly boring - just me and the road (which was TERRIBLE through Sask - I've seen better roads in the Third World)

The bright spot was the evening with Rosco, Mrs. Rosco, Mini Rosco, and Cindy-Lou Who. The surf and turf (as ordered in advance), large case of ale, hot tub, and sauna drove the cold from my bones, and got me off to a late start the next day. At least I started, not like some people who had to call in sick.... :p

So there we have it. Thanks again to 407, downwash, 4961, touchdown, Deuce Bigalow, Hightower, 100ft and Rosco for the hospitality. Great to see Cap as well.

Randy - too baaaaaaaaaad, we'll have to have that lamb next time, Dude.

Twinny - I guess I had my wires crossed. I knew you were in Regina, but blasted through there early one morning with my mind on Kenora. Next time for sure.

It was an honor and a pleasure having you.

We look forward to doing it again sometime.

Thanks for the treats and the laughs.

W B)

Good Pic's CTD! Well done. Kyle should chip in for gas in the scooter. That was one of the most interesting topics I've seen here yet. It should generate more interest in the site from "surfers" outside the country. :up:

Twitch

Thanks Twitch. I would post some more pics, but the system is telling me I have exceeded my 'limit'. I didn't realize there was one... Kyle? I guess, in reality, the topic has nothing to do with 'Helicopter Operations', but we have sort of become a family of sorts on the helicopter part of the forum, as evidenced by the royal welcome we were given everywhere.

We actually briefly considered heading up your way when fires threatened delays on the southern route, but they settled down and we went back to the original plan. On the CCG side, we did spend an amazing evening in Victoria with TS and her husband JM, and had lunch with Big Stan. Great folks, and good to see them.