Cwa And Ibt Yo Jointly Represent

MarkMyWords

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Teamsters, Communications Workers Agree to Jointly Represent Passenger Service Agents at Merged US Airways and America West
Monday September 12, 3:51 pm ET

WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The Communications Workers of America and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters today announced a proposed alliance to jointly represent passenger service agents at US Airways when the merger of America West and US Airways is completed.

The proposal to create a new Airline Customer Service Employee Association - IBT/CWA will be presented to members of the two unions for their approval, reported Teamsters President James Hoffa and CWA President Larry Cohen.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050912/clm523.html?.v=3

No comments for CWA or IBT covered employees as to whether they feel this is good or bad?

MarkMyWords said:
No comments for CWA or IBT covered employees as to whether they feel this is good or bad?
[post="299667"][/post]​

How can 2 unions represent one group? Sounds confusing to me.

CWA represents the US Customer service group. IBT represents the AWA Customer service group

MarkMyWords said:
[post="299667"][/post]​
not sure if we are to be happy about this or not...what exactly does it mean? One main contract for all in the future with better work conditions/pay/health care --ect.? Do not see how it can work under 2- eventually-seperate contracts...what happens if when the vote comes we all vote no to this "union"? I work in a station with other US employee's and the feelings they have given me is they want out of CWA....do not get me wrong, I am not saying no to representation....just very unsure of CWA

I believe both unions are nervous about whether or not either of them could win it all together. My understanding is that there had to be a certain pct of the total group to actually cast a vote in an election or the unions would be decertified and the cust svc group would have no representation at all. So by merging the unions they get to split the pie instead of gambling. There will eventually be one contract for everyone and the greivances out West will be handled by IBT, and the East the CWA, all under one renegotiated contract. The company will definetely want to sit down and start from scratch with the contract. I believe they will be looking for more cuts and use the lack of profits and fuel prices as the reason for additional streamlining. This whole scenario hasn't even begun to take any kind of shape yet. There is a long rocky road coming up here. Just my opinion.............

Robc98 said:
I believe both unions are nervous about whether or not either of them could win it all together. My understanding is that there had to be a certain pct of the total group to actually cast a vote in an election or the unions would be decertified and the cust svc group would have no representation at all. So by merging the unions they get to split the pie instead of gambling. There will eventually be one contract for everyone and the greivances out West will be handled by IBT, and the East the CWA, all under one renegotiated contract. The company will definetely want to sit down and start from scratch with the contract. I believe they will be looking for more cuts and use the lack of profits and fuel prices as the reason for additional streamlining. This whole scenario hasn't even begun to take any kind of shape yet. There is a long rocky road coming up here. Just my opinion.............
[post="299710"][/post]​
Please read my message under HP Airlines. We are very upset that res at U and res at HP will make different salaries. We're ready to vote all of the unions out. That's why they're worried. We get NO information from IBT.

drifterreno said:
Please read my message under HP Airlines. We are very upset that res at U and res at HP will make different salaries. We're ready to vote all of the unions out. That's why they're worried. We get NO information from IBT.
[post="299756"][/post]​

That would result in stapling if the unions were voted out. You will be union eventually, like it or not, somehow...some way. It is not safe to be non-union in a heavily unionized industry.

Severed,
IBT represented the USair ramp in 4 stations pre PI merger and was decertified soon after.

barbeetantrum said:
It is not safe to be non-union in a heavily unionized industry.
[post="299799"][/post]​

Just ask the ATO and Res agents at AA about how well the company treats them. :blink:

Another thing, lose the "Two unions" idea, you want one contract and one union, not two unions who may eventually end up at cross-purposes.

There will be trouble if you go with two unions representing employees doing the same job.

LGA Fleet Service said:
barbeetantrum said:
It is not safe to be non-union in a heavily unionized industry.
[post="299799"][/post]​
Just ask the ATO and Res agents at AA about how well the company treats them. :blink:

Another thing, lose the "Two unions" idea, you want one contract and one union, not two unions who may eventually end up at cross-purposes.

There will be trouble if you go with two unions representing employees doing the same job.
[post="299913"][/post]​

Don't forget the fact that one group will be at a pay disparity with the other, and even though they may vote for such a dual agreement, there will always be whining from AWA CSRs about how much less they make than their counterparts at US. "We get paid less and we're doing the same job!"

Latest posts