CWA Does it again!

wench

Veteran
Oct 10, 2002
Notice from the CWA on the employee bulletin board..
Due to Middle of pay period, the april 1st RAISE WILL BE DELAYED UNTIL APRIL 10TH!

hmmm??
Put a call into the local rep,today, sunday, left her a message saying hope it's Retroactive..
IMHO, I DOUBT IT
Wonder how the CWA would like me to withhold MY DuES until I felt good and ready to pay them..
Ill be on the horn AGAIN first thing monday morn,! :down:

Dont blame the CWA for this, if u remember the company wanted to start the pay raises in Sept.06..the CWA got it brought back to April..and like it always has been, any raise in the middle of a pay period always waited until the first full pay was complete...the payroll dept has always had a problem with being unable to split the hours up into 2 diff pays....so save your quarter for that phone call on this one...

Notice from the CWA on the employee bulletin board..
Due to Middle of pay period, the april 1st RAISE WILL BE DELAYED UNTIL APRIL 10TH!

hmmm??
Put a call into the local rep,today, sunday, left her a message saying hope it's Retroactive..
IMHO, I DOUBT IT
Wonder how the CWA would like me to withhold MY DuES until I felt good and ready to pay them..
Ill be on the horn AGAIN first thing monday morn,! :down:
the agreement states that effective on the first pay period following the earlier of 4/1/06....all awa amd MLE agents will recieve an across the board .40 per hour increase.....

Dont blame the CWA for this, if u remember the company wanted to start the pay raises in Sept.06..the CWA got it brought back to April..and like it always has been, any raise in the middle of a pay period always waited until the first full pay was complete...the payroll dept has always had a problem with being unable to split the hours up into 2 diff pays....so save your quarter for that phone call on this one...

Just shows you how aweful the CWA transition agreement really is. The raise was moved up 5 months [oops, 4 1/2 months] in return for coughing up more scope clause that allows shift managers to now work up to 2 hours a day doing CWA work.

Big Winners:
The CWA: which will get more dues members through the combination of merged operations and a few more stations reclassified to bring in more $ into its coffers.

The company: In return for more dues payers, CWA throws more work at the company so that shift managers can now do 'union work' up to 2 hours. Company will now hire the first 70 shift managers to help cover the additional work.

Big losers: CWA members. Members will lose overtime opportunities since shift managers can now do the dues payers union work for up to 2 hours a day. The CWA has said the intent of the transition agreement isn't to take away overtime opportunities, however, there is no real police[ing] of this in the transition as the union seemed to leave out better language to make this accountable and to police this.

IAM members beware of the IAM's drunken promises of opening up the entire contract for you and asking you what you want in a nonsensical survey. If the IAM is allowed to stay on your property then you can be sure of one thing, the IAM will protect itself only.

regards,

And why cant someone "police" their work? How hard is it to have someone at the counter/gate in charge of keeping track of when the manager is on the counter? Might take a little work on SOMEONEs part (heaven forbid its ME that has to do something!). My understanding is its two straight hours as well. No nickel and diming it. If thats the case it should make it pretty easy. Once you see the manager lifting a bag or pulling a ticket make note of the time and when they're done log it. At the end of the week/month give it to your union rep to compute and if they are going over their time or not doing as per the contract, grieve it. Some things are NOT that hard guys, especially if YOU want to protect YOUR work and overtime. Take a little initiative and step up and DO SOMETHING instead of just b*tching that the manager is taking your work away.
Bet many of the shift managers wont be able to make it two full hours at the counter or gate on a daily basis anyway. Might break a nail or pull something, ya know?
Also regarding the change of pay in the middle of the pay week. Why did we buy Workbrain and associated programs if its not capable of something so simple as to change the pay in the middle of the period? Is it not capable of doing this? It seems like it was (again) a lot of money wasted on a half-a^^ed piece of junk. I'm sure the bells and whistle model is swell, but there is so much that it SHOULD be able to do that it cant that it just seems a waste of time and effort at times to do swaps or anything associated with the next great time clock. ( I know someone on the board got someone to buy it, yada, yada, same old network p.o.s. buying....)

At least the CWA kept the MLE Classification, unlike the IAM did. Now that the merger has come about, the MLE stations will be brought back to somewhat of a decent wage
unlike the IAM Fleet people who were shown the door permantly due to Outsourcing. If I were in your position, I would not be too concerned about getting ANY RAISE a week later than expected. :shock:

At least the CWA kept the MLE Classification, unlike the IAM did. Now that the merger has come about, the MLE stations will be brought back to somewhat of a decent wage
unlike the IAM Fleet people who were shown the door permantly due to Outsourcing. If I were in your position, I would not be too concerned about getting ANY RAISE a week later than expected. :shock:

Sorry Wings, I did not mean to imply that the CWA was as aweful as the IAM. The IAM is so aweful that it should excuse itself entirely out of labor and just stick with the financial stuff like credit card offers, investing, golf resort packages, convention planning, etc.

regards,

Just to reiterate about the workbrain issue per Tad...only a few cities have workbrain going right now....my city does not so were still under the old timecard submit system...i imagine workbrain could be utilized to split the pay rates but obviously there not going to give raises to the group on different dates....

Also regarding the change of pay in the middle of the pay week. Why did we buy Workbrain and associated programs if its not capable of something so simple as to change the pay in the middle of the period? Is it not capable of doing this? It seems like it was (again) a lot of money wasted on a half-a^^ed piece of junk. I'm sure the bells and whistle model is swell, but there is so much that it SHOULD be able to do that it cant that it just seems a waste of time and effort at times to do swaps or anything associated with the next great time clock. ( I know someone on the board got someone to buy it, yada, yada, same old network p.o.s. buying....)
[/quote]

Workbrain can calculate pay in the middle of a pay period but not everyone is on Workbrain. It's the old payroll system that cannot and there are still many employees on the old system.

Workbrain can calculate pay in the middle of a pay period but not everyone is on Workbrain. It's the old payroll system that cannot and there are still many employees on the old system.
So we're all being punished for this. NICE. Three years without any kind of a raise...oh well. What's another 10 days huh??? :down:

Why couldn't the company have given the raise a week earlier? They probably could have received a little positive PR from it. Sounds to me like they blew a good opportunity to improve morale at a fairly cheap price-40 cents an hour.

Why couldn't the company have given the raise a week earlier? They probably could have received a little positive PR from it. Sounds to me like they blew a good opportunity to improve morale at a fairly cheap price-40 cents an hour.
The transition agreement states "effective on the first pay period following the earlier of (1) 4/1/06 or (2) resolution of all transition issues, either through agreement or arbitration award America West employees and MLE agents will receive an across-the-board $.40 per hour increase or transition to the applicable step of the applicable payscale, whichever is less."

Maybe the CWA needed to do a better job of communication?

The transition agreement states "effective on the first pay period following the earlier of (1) 4/1/06 or (2) resolution of all transition issues, either through agreement or arbitration award America West employees and MLE agents will receive an across-the-board $.40 per hour increase or transition to the applicable step of the applicable payscale, whichever is less."

Maybe the CWA needed to do a better job of communication?
I know what it says, Buck, but I would find it hard to believe the CWA would refuse the raise a week early. The company could have given it early.