Cwa Meeting 7/28/04

Very typical posturing for future negotiations, make a terrible first offer and then improve on it later....Stayed tuned for more "bending"

USA320Pilot what do you have to say about this?

I hope you have enjoyed your cushy job all these years because I don't think the CWAers are going to bring this garbage back to the rank and file, and if this is how the company is going to negotiate everyone should start looking for new jobs.

By the way how does crop duster sound? And you've got a problem with the IAM not negotiating! This circus is full of clowns.

P.S.- USA320Pilot No broken records please!

I really worry about the res agents voting for something like this, they will figure well I can stay at home and make some money or the other option my job will be out the door or will have to move somwhere else, anyone who would vote for this is crazy, you don't think they will go around to all the stations and layoff many folks then come back and say oh we made a mistake, but if you want to your job back then you start over...This is a joke and insult to all of us......

hopethingswillbeok said:
...This is a joke and insult to all of us......
Of course it's a joke to all of us. This just shows the arragance and greed of the current management teat. Long ago they lost all concern, leadership and interest in the employees. It's a dog eat dog world now, and if we do not stand and fight for our dignaty and jobs, they will eat us all and then all walk away with millions. Corporate Greed or Stupidity? Both.

HAWK

Agents in PIT were told directly from a union rep that they DID walk out of the meeting and (for reasons unknown) said they would be willing to talk again in January. Yes, January!? The rep did not elaborate.

As far as the "interns"... if you believe that one you are really gullible. It is known that the union asked about them and were told the same STORY that you told but, who in the world would believe it?

Dum da dum dum...the plot thickens!!!!!!

hopethingswillbeok said:
I really worry about the res agents voting for something like this, they will figure well I can stay at home and make some money or the other option my job will be out the door or will have to move somwhere else, anyone who would vote for this is crazy, you don't think they will go around to all the stations and layoff many folks then come back and say oh we made a mistake, but if you want to your job back then you start over...This is a joke and insult to all of us......
Don't worry about the res agent, even with the option to stay at home 13 and hour plus increases in our out of pocket expenses is so not enough to put up with the bull #$#@ that comes over those phone lines.

USAirUnited said:
Don't worry about the res agent, even with the option to stay at home 13 and hour plus increases in our out of pocket expenses is so not enough to put up with the bull #$#@ that comes over those phone lines.
I don't know, I can see a lot of people, if they have their 15 yrs. in, and they realize that there is probably not a future in this job, and they realize that 15,000 in the hand is better than being left with nothing, I can see them cutting their losses and taking the money and running. After all, if someone has a family to support, and they have to be practical, I think many mayactually consider this as a viable option.

4merresrat said:
they realize that 15,000 in the hand is better than being left with nothing
But, is that 15k in the hand at one time or paid out over say 4 years. And, if it is a payout, what happens when, not if, they wind up in BK court again? Will they still have to pay or does that get wiped away too? :ph34r:

Hawk said:
CWA did not walk out. The meeting was very professional.

There were about 20 students who are in our summer intern program. They are spending the day in PIT learning about an airline's operation. They visited RIDC and went through OCC, other ops offices and res. They will also be visiting the CLT training center.
Hawk is truthful with his info.

*********** Update - rcvd from CWA 7/29/04
(The end of the letter shows they are getting your emails!)

07/29/04

Some Good News: CWA wins important arbitration protecting rights of furloughees...
CWA scored a 100 percent win over management attorneys in Monday's expedited arbitration on whether management has pay full-time furlough severance pay to full-timers who are involuntarily displaced to part-time, and then furloughed.
The arbitration panel ruled on the spot that our contract clearly says those part-time employees must be paid their full-time furlough allowance and benefits, and those denied the pay and benefits must be made whole.
Management has violated that provision and sent many employees to the street without their correct furlough allowance and benefits. They will now have to go back and pay those employees an additional 5 weeks pay and up to 125 days of medical/dental/life insurance benefits (90 days plus 5 weeks - 35 days). If anybody can use the money, those employees can.
Management's attorney added insult to injury by commenting out loud to the arbitrator, "This union is just trying to make a grab. They're just trying to grab something at the company's expense."
The CWA attorney replied to the arbitrator, "This is a negotiated benefit clearly spelled out in the contract. If anybody is trying to grab something, it's labor relations management trying to grab the pay and benefits from an employee who has just lost his or her job and is on the way to the street."
As we said, the arbitrator agreed with CWA and ruled against management.
If you believe you are eligible for benefits under this award, please contact your CWA local union office ASAP.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Agent and Rep response to management's recent concession demands is hot and heavy...
It is fair to say that Passenger Service agents and reps are stunned by the disrespect and insult shown by management's proposal. Here are a couple of email messages typical of the many we have received:

After reading your update July 27, 2004, I personally feel that management is "marking" time until they file another bankruptcy. I am an agent in TPA, and will start my 28th year in August. I would like for the company to survive, expand, and start making a profit. However, what they are proposing is simply STUPID. Not ONE customer service agent would vote for this proposal. Is this what I have worked for my entire career, to be pushed into POVERTY? And what about all those single moms and dads that rely on this job to support their family?
This is not acceptable in any way shape or form. Not even close! How in God's name are our families supposed to survive???????
Please do all within your abilities, to bring to the management of US Airways, the message that the rank-and-file do not consider anything they have said acceptable. These are demands, not negotiations. I do not accept anything that has been offered so far. A 35 percent cut in pay is just not going to happen. This kind of strong arm, take it away and renegotiate all over is not what we are all about. We want to help the organization survive, but not at the expense of personal bankruptcies or health and well being. If we need to find another job, it will be that all of US Airways needs to find another job and the "money men" get their due in bankruptcy court!
I just saw the latest proposal from the company. First, I would like to say that I have no intention of giving a single cent until they first address a decent buyout that has been shown to save millions for the company and then use that figure to offset the burden for the remaining employees. also, has CWA considered doing informational picketing around the system? I'm sure a lot of our customers could care less about us; however, I feel a lot of our top customers would be interested to know how little US Airways cares about and values their employees.
Please tell management to..."Go butt a stump"...No way!
After reviewing the company's NEW proposal for CWA US Airways agents, I would like to ask you to quit "negotiating" with the company on our behalf. This is not negotiating and is not an offer that I would hope that the CWA would even put out for a vote. It is a slap in the face to every hard-working CWA US Airways agent out on the line. Please do not open the contract. The buyout is not worth the detrimental effects that it will have on our retirees or those who are unable to accept the leave. If the company cannot budge on anything and only adds more reductions to their offer, there really is no need to discuss things with them in my opinion.

CWA Local Presidents, staff, analysts and attorneys will meet in DC on Tuesday, August 3rd, to plan a strategy for the response to the management's Transformation Plan.
These discussions cannot stay on track if management will not acknowledge our legitimate proposals and alternative cost savings strategies. If management's goal is to save the airline and passenger service careers, then we should be able to accomplish that. If their goal is to degrade the passenger service jobs and to profit by undermining our standard of living, then there is a big fight looming on the horizon. We need to prepare for both possibilities.
We'll keep you informed...
CWA Local Officers and Staff

I am still having a hard time believing that the company wants to dangle money in front of those employee's ready to go, but that in order for them to receive it they have to vote their fellow workers down to 13.00/hour with little or no benefits. It is very amoral. One things for sure...they really try to pit employees against one another. CWA stand firm: We need to preserve a decent standard of living for airline employees. They deal with too much stress with the traveling public to deserve any less.