Cwa Says Management Wants 29% Cuts

Jul 31, 2004
Is it just me? Or has anyone else figured out that these paycut percentages are being advertised incorrectly? With 11 years of service and a 4 year penalty which puts me on the 7 year payscale, I will go from $20.05 on the current contract to $10.51 on the new one. And with a 14 year top out scale, it will take me 7 more years to get back to top out pay which is estimated to be 15.20 for year 14.

So I will immediately realize a 48% paycut, not 29%.

I can't be the only one. Is anyone listening??? :unsure:

Since management is giving me a clear message of how much they value me, I will leave as soon as I can. I am actively seeking employment now. There are a few local companies with call centers hiring right now with pretty good starting salaries. I am also considering getting a 4 yr degree, even though I would be in my 50s when I graduate. Never too late they say!

There is no incentive to stay, so for me it is the beginning of the end. And by the way, the ARE losing a valuable employee! I used to consistently be number 1 2 or 3 on the top revenue board, like anyone really cared about that anyway. (Management pulled me off the phones one day to get my talk time down, made me listen to sample recorded calls.) This management mbr actually said to me that revenue was not important, talk time is!! That should have been a great big clue to me of the mentality of this group!

usresagentwhatevamadeusaythat said:
I am also considering getting a 4 yr degree, even though I would be in my 50s when I graduate. Never too late they say!
[post="197514"][/post]​

As was said to me back in the 1980's when I stated that it would take me 3 more years going part-time to finish my MBA and I would be 45 when I finished...
"How old will you be in 3 years if you DON'T finish your MBA?"

You go for that degree. I am now 59 and on my 5th career. I became a flight attendant in 2000 at the tender age of 55. The paycut that you are being expected to accept is unconscionable. A cashier with no training and no experience starts about $10.00/hr at Home Depot.

usresagent...

Good for you! I am very glad to hear that that is your approach to solving this problem. Don't sell yourself short. The skills that you use on a daily basis at US Airways are very valuable in the real business world. Some companies are not willing to pay much for customer service type jobs, but many are willing. Find a reputable company. One that values their employees and treats them as assets, not liabilities. Any company who truely values their customers will pay a very nice salary for top notch employees. If you plan on staying in a customer contact position, become bilingual in spanish if you are not already. Employers are in desperate need, especially for a management position.

As I have said a few times on this board, my wife resigned from US Airways a few weeks ago after 16 years as a CSA-ticketing. I have never seen her so happy. She is a completely different person. Weekends and holidays off, fabulous work environment.....there is life after US Airways! I only wish she would have jumped ship immediately after 911.

Good Luck! :up:

to jimntx and genejockey:

thanks for your encouraging words! means so much during these trying times. i refuse to let them keep me down--they can knock me down but they can't keep me down!!!

With all the employees that have been furloughed at USAIRWAYS... It doesn't seem like alot of managers and upper management has left with a smaller airline?

Reservation Agent said:
With all the employees that have been furloughed at USAIRWAYS... It doesn't seem like alot of managers and upper management has left with a smaller airline?
[post="197607"][/post]​

Well, see that's because US Airways is doing what Texaco did in the 90's when I was working for them. Texaco right-sized instead of downsizing because in downsizing managers also lose their jobs. By right-sizing you only have to fire worker bees. :p

usresagentwhatevamadeusaythat said:
to jimntx and genejockey:

thanks for your encouraging words! means so much during these trying times. i refuse to let them keep me down--they can knock me down but they can't keep me down!!!
[post="197589"][/post]​

I graduate in Dec..I left U in Dec 2002..working parttime and LOVE it. And I only make a little less STARTING out than I would be making after 23 years at U. I have not missed it one single second. My superior even told me the other day at work that I did not have to tell her everytime I had to go to the restroom..LOL. I was used to having to account for literally every second at U. I look back with disbelief now, at what Res goes through. I can't believe I tolerated those working conditions for so long. It was worth it when the pay and bennies were where they used to be..but not for what they want to pay now. Weekends, holidays, etc are actually spent with my family..priceless! I wish you the best of luck. You will not regret going to school at any age!