Cwa-temp Relief Ask

mrfish3726 said:
No it wouldn't! This indusrty is in a big time shake down and the lose of USAIR capacitiy is a VERY good way to start to make this industry healthy again. And we could stand the lose of another VERY troubled airline that has been struggling for two years in BK. And still hasn't gotten to the point YET that USAIR is at, but they will eventually.
[post="183441"][/post]​

I guess you're speaking from experience since you work for a carrier that's posted losses for 3 consecutive quarters...

usfliboi said:
Why doesnt the agents leave then?
[post="183445"][/post]​

Why DONT the agents leave then? Maybe its because deep down inside they still like the job and were hoping that at some point the continual spiral into oblivion would stop at some point that both the work environment and compensation would level off at a point that was still acceptable to them. Many now feel that both have (or will) fall below that level. It is however not as easy as saying "just quit", especially with a family involved. You must carefully consider all options out there from sticking it out trying to get $ to hold over to a new job, being able to get education assistance, etc or deciding whether you would be better off packing the family up and moving somewhere else and starting over and just saying screw it. Many agents I know of are considering all of their options, but at this point in time with the uncertainty involved with US and what will happen, its going to be a tough choice to make. Many are just going to have to bite the bullet and let the cards fall where they may. Some will make the right choice and others will unfortunately not. Glad to see that company spirit and comraderie alive in so many of my fellow employees. :down: It makes me feel good to know you're out there rooting for the rest of us to succeed and survive. :unsure:

Im happy for you if youre happy, thats what this is all about. Some decide for them selves whats best. I cant imagine being at work hating every moment so bad you wish company would fold, leaving thousands out of work..... NOT YOU but people in general who post here. Reality has been set in for a while. I speak my opinion about it. The problem here is that some didnt think it wouuld go here. We have arrived, now we have to save what we can in the contract and move on .

Most here will not leave until the doors are closed. We all know that the Company WANTS a majority of the workforce to say the heck with it all, and walk out the door for ever. This way they can hire all of the people fresh out of High School for
$7 a hour knowing that they will not be Career Employees trying to drain the Companies fortunes as the senior people do.

usfliboi said:
Im happy for you if youre happy, thats what this is all about. Some decide for them selves whats best. I cant imagine being at work hating every moment so bad you wish company would fold, leaving thousands out of work..... NOT YOU but people in general who post here. Reality has been set in for a while. I speak my opinion about it. The problem here is that some didnt think it wouuld go here. We have arrived, now we have to save what we can in the contract and move on .
[post="183461"][/post]​
Many have too many years in to just quit...
Many that were waiting to retire, (that have the age and the years of service) will now retire...
What will prevent the company from coming back in 6 months and say we need more?
This has been a constant theme, cut pay, cut bennies, etc. but they do nothing positive or constructive with what they are given back.
Upper Management has been incapable of making any plans since the early 90's and they seem to be stuck in that rut. They always want to take away from the employees that bust their humps to keep the customers coming back to fly US.
I guess we were stupid to believe that some day, we would be able to work for a profitable company that actually had some respect for the front line employees..
We don't hate the job, just the manner in which it has been mishandled for 15 year or so.

usfliboi

Do you mean "Why don't the agents leave then?"

Who would be left to take all the calls from irate customers and fix all of the USAIRWAYS.com problems? Management? I don't think so, most hardly know how to sign into the computer. There would maybe be a handful left, if that.

The proposal from management to the CWA wants to allow outsourcing at any time if production falls below the "norm" (what ever that is supposed to mean!?). Makes one think that something is already set up to take over calls if there is a slow down or strike, which may be right around the corner. It would take many many months to set up a call center or hire an outside source to perform General Res and associated Res functions and train. So, something must already be in place. Management is just chomping at the bit to get rid of Res. They need to get on with it already!

As for your comment about hating every moment at work...that is exactly how it is. Unemployment benefits is the response. Time to recover from the US Airways debacle, settle nerves, bring down the blood pressure, spend time with the kids and family on weekends, nights and a holiday or two. Just finally relax for a minute and take a deep breath before starting a new job.

Finally, save what? What is left? Medical benefits that keep going up while pay is going down down down?

******************* Latest INFO

09/23/2004
CWA'ers to meet with management today at 3PM...
Following last night's notification by management that they will file in Bankruptcy Court on Friday to impose an immediate 23% pay cut, CWA representatives have arranged a meeting at US Airways Crystal City HQ beginning at 3PM today. Our goal will be to reduce this punitive proposal to cut passenger service income.

CWA Local Officers & Staff

usfliboi said:
Why doesnt the agents leave then?
[post="183445"][/post]​

Maybe we like our job. Maybe we like the challenge to make it work. Maybe we are not content to let the robber barrons win. Maybe we can't/won't cut and run like you would.

I'm glad, now theres really no distinction between mainline and express. All that pride mainliners had against express people is now all gone, you are no longer better than them. Step into the express world!

Bob cat, Im not saying thats not the case, however its a choice of ones will.... Bottom line this is reality here. Like it or not, our industry is changed forever.

The 23 percent cut across the board is clearly punitive. It's very obvious the Company is using this drastic pay cut to force the hands of each union. My take is TAs will be reached rather quickly as a result.