Cwa-temp Relief Ask

mrfish3726 said:
This indusrty is in a big time shake down and the lose of USAIR capacitiy is a VERY good way to start to make this industry healthy again. And we could stand the lose of another VERY troubled airline

[post="183441"][/post]​

Frankly, you are DELETED fish, who is sufferning from an inferiority complex AAA nor UAL will disappear, and F9 will struggle to weather the future. Grow up child.

DENVER,CO

Don't bet on it! The "CWA" may want to buckle to keep the dues coming in but its members will not buckle! Most are extremely passionate about that point!

bobcat said:
Don't bet on it! The "CWA" may want to buckle to keep the dues coming in but its members will not buckle! Most are extremely passionate about that point!
[post="183576"][/post]​

Sure, vote down the TA. The judge will throw out your existing contact and let the company impose one of its own. You strike, you lose your job. This really is a no win situation. In fact, it's the definition of a no win situation.

An abrogation is not a slam dunk. Go ask United Airlines when they tried.

Doesn't anyone get it? Res agents have been pushed to the limit. The only thing sustaining them is the hope that "pink slips" are near. They don't wish that anyone else loses their job they just hope and pray Res as it is known today will no longer exist!!!!! Period! They want to be put out of their misery!

I'm still wondering how long after the temp relief is granted that the res office leases will be ditched and suddenly we open an office in Alabama WITH the new pay scales. Anyone want to move...unpaid...?!! Since they will be able to contract out any and all work that can be done cheaper if this is passed, then I wouldnt be surprised to see a call center in Alabama suddenly have lots of openings. :down:
Simpler fare rules = easier training. Of course we would probably keep DM/INTL and some other specialty inhouse (for the time being), but wouldnt be surprised at all to see general rez go. Theres a big call center/office in Tampa called Spherion that handles all kinds of companies. My friend worked there and did stuff for Home Depot received via their webpage email. Pay was $9-10 an hour starting. Of course, this possible outsourcing wouldnt affect the bottom line for the rest of the CWA rez work group left would it?

I still think UA and US should leverage the Star Alliance and open a general res center for all or a subset of the Star carriers. For example, AC, UA and US could share a res center for general purchases and mileage redemptions, with each having their own specialized one for elites, refunds, etc. Of course, this would require a common platform and probably broader anti-trust clearance than any of them currently enjoy.

Anyone want to clear the gray area here? I sure hope the CWA gets exactly what is meant by this in writing.

Outsourcing: The Company may outsource any work within the scope of the parties' basic agreement in order to offset the effects of (a) attrition that exceeds historical norms; or (b.) work slow-downs or other service disruptions caused by CWA-represented employees.

So (a). Lets say normally we have 2 people retire a year in station and 1 person quits (its been more recently on both measures, but lets play along.) Now with this new "agreement" in place the rest of the die hards decide they want to go ahead and retire and work at Home Depot and those that have been thinking about leaving finally just say we're gone. Now you have "attrition that exceeds the historical norms". BUT, you have agents who have been downgraded and furloughed who could cover all of the shifts that are leaving. What happens? Callbacks or someone decides to say, you've gone over your agent leavings this month so we're going to contract your station out even though you have 25 people still on recall. Anyone? Care to guess how the company is going to read the gray area?

b. By what standards are they going to consider slow downs? We have just received the new fangled gate readers in my station and we tried them the other night. It was slower than molases and didnt read half the boarding passes so we ended up doing things by hand. Luckily we had enough people helping during the one flight to get it done, but what if we start taking 5 minutes or so here and there because of the cr@p piece of equipment they are going to make us use? Is that a slowdown that triggers outsourcing? Is the fact that they dont cover the shifts needed to process people on some days a slow down? What is going to be the definition of "slowdown"? Anyone?

And before someone says I'm paranoid, just look at how many gray areas there are in the "Airbus" case and tell me I'm paranoid. I dont trust these guys at all and unless it is specifically spelled out what is meant by the above and its left open to interpretation, we all know which route its likely to go. :down:

One thing is for certain, and that is your Dues will stay the same as they did before. I don't know how the CWA does this, but the IAM-FSA Express agents pay over 3x their hourly rate in some locals. After being Expressed, they were even low enough to RAISE the dues for the members who had just suffered a $7 an hour wage cut. I have raised questions about this in the past with nothing more than "We will look into it". Plain and simple they really meant, not enough people are getting screwed yet and it is falling on deaf ears at this time!!!

tadjr said:
Anyone want to clear the gray area here? I sure hope the CWA gets exactly what is meant by this in writing.

Outsourcing: The Company may outsource any work within the scope of the parties' basic agreement in order to offset the effects of (a) attrition that exceeds historical norms; or (b.) work slow-downs or other service disruptions caused by CWA-represented employees.

I fear that they will not relent this brutal treatment. This is their out incase the union wants to indulge in self help. They want to abrogate the contracts.

USFlyer said:
Sure, vote down the TA. The judge will throw out your existing contact and let the company impose one of its own. You strike, you lose your job. This really is a no win situation. In fact, it's the definition of a no win situation.
[post="183578"][/post]​

Its a no win for the stakeholder either. SOmeone needs to let the BOD know that if they pull that...say "good night".

USFlyer said:
I still think UA and US should leverage the Star Alliance and open a general res center for all or a subset of the Star carriers. For example, AC, UA and US could share a res center for general purchases and mileage redemptions, with each having their own specialized one for elites, refunds, etc. Of course, this would require a common platform and probably broader anti-trust clearance than any of them currently enjoy.
[post="183597"][/post]​

Several airlines have tried it but it really is more trouble than its worth given the differences that exist between every airline, even partners. It is cheap enough that any airline can afford to route phone calls around the world to an office where enough calls can come to justify having a res office. Same thing for lots of other US and European businesses that send calls to Asia. Some airlines even have call centers that handle calls from across Europe where the agents are capable of conversing in multiple calls; based on the origin of the call and the customer's preferred language, calls can be routed to the agents most capable of handling them with every agent expected to be able to speak in at least 2 languages - pretty much the norm in Europe.

I would think outsourcing would be easier said than done. Even with Agents, there are still rules and security clearances that have to be met. Not to mention... training on the dinosaur computer systems.

They can't just hire anyone off the street or out of a temporary agency , right?

Wouldn't soing so violate some type of FAA rules?

By the way, Thanks Tad, Jr for all the excellent updates... good to know that someone is in the know! :)

Latest posts