Cwa To Discuss Giving Away Your Seniorty

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
CWA'ers to meet Thursday with management to continue discussions on transition issues.

CWA'ers have several sets of issues under discussion with management, including the merger transition and the bankruptcy Plan of Reorganization. We also have several other major issues that have to be resolved. We will meet with management on Thursday to continue discussions on the transition issues. Here is an outline of all the major issues under discussion.

Transition: Seniority integration, CWA informed management at our last meeting that we intend to invite Teamsters union (AWA passenger service employee representative) to discuss fair seniority integration, union-to-union. We have contacted them and we are beginning a discussion.

What is there to discuss? The ONE and ONLY thing the CWA hasn’t given away already is language that guarantees our seniority (100%) in an acquisition or merger ….. YOU BETTER NOT GIVE THAT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deltawatch said:
CWA'ers to meet Thursday with management to continue discussions on transition issues.

CWA'ers have several sets of issues under discussion with management, including the merger transition and the bankruptcy Plan of Reorganization. We also have several other major issues that have to be resolved. We will meet with management on Thursday to continue discussions on the transition issues. Here is an outline of all the major issues under discussion.

Transition: Seniority integration, CWA informed management at our last meeting that we intend to invite Teamsters union (AWA passenger service employee representative) to discuss fair seniority integration, union-to-union. We have contacted them and we are beginning a discussion.
What is there to discuss? The ONE and ONLY thing the CWA hasn’t given away already is language that guarantees our seniority (100%) in an acquisition or merger ….. YOU BETTER NOT GIVE THAT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[post="292002"][/post]​

Let me clear my throat... The Teamsters local for AWA CSRs and reservations doesn't even have a contract. They decided they didn't need one until the very end. They farted around. I was one of the AWA fleet service that went around pestering them about voting for representation. They didn't care. They could do without a union. This AWA ramper has a staple gun you can borrow. :rant:

Let me add that even after stapling their pay will be better under a CWA contract.

I agree, DOH is the only fair way to go if a merged workforce is to truly be a fair workforce. And a union MUST be involved, be it Teamsters or CWA. With all the warm fuzzy feelings with the new livery, new management, and brighter future for the company, we must never forget that one evil exec is being brought over from CCY. This man can never be trusted and what the union does to help our jobs today, could well be our saving grace in the future. Don't forget what happened to PSA after this man and his coharts finished their dirty work.

WestCoastGuy said:
. And a union MUST be involved, be it Teamsters or CWA. Don't forget what happened to PSA after this man and his coharts finished their dirty work.
[post="292297"][/post]​
I would rather have the Teamsters than CWA. The CWA just seem to care mostly about the phone company employees. Have you ever read their newsletter? Nothing but their phone employees are discussed. Plus the Teamsters have dealt with Al C. before.

Seatacus said:
I would rather have the Teamsters than CWA. The CWA just seem to care mostly about the phone company employees. Have you ever read their newsletter? Nothing but their phone employees are discussed. Plus the Teamsters have dealt with Al C. before.
[post="292338"][/post]​

I agree. At PSA we had Teamster Representation and they "kicked ass & took names". Many times when a Rep came into our station, the manager either ran out the door for a "meeting" or was "unavailable". Personally I have far greater trust in Teamsters to take care of us, than the CWA. And yes, they know how to deal with the likes of Crellin and his cronnies.

I just want my seniorty, thats all I have left...... If it comes down to a vote, I'll vote for which ever union gives me 100% of it. I don’t want some water down version. The teamsters want to give AWA agents 2 or 3 years credit at the new company for every one year they have with AWA . That means a 10 year AWA agent becomes a 20 or 30 year agent.

deltawatch said:
I just want my seniorty, thats all I have left...... If it comes down to a vote, I'll vote for which ever union gives me 100% of it. I don’t want some water down version. The teamsters want to give AWA agents 2 or 3 years credit at the new company for every one year they have with AWA . That means a 10 year AWA agent becomes a 20 or 30 year agent.
[post="292435"][/post]​

And relatively speaking that's correct.

A 5 year AWA agent probably has the same relative seniority as a 20 year US agent.

Why should the AWA folks take it in the chops because they work for a younger company?

Quote "Why should the AWA folks take it in the chops because they work for a younger company?"

What a stupid question …..Better question, why should a 20 year airline agent bid behind a 10 year airline agent? And why should a CWA member give up language he/she fought hard for....“100% seniority in merger or takeover.

Plus IV been paying union dues for years and like barbeetantrums posted... “The Teamsters local for AWA CSRs and reservations doesn't even have a contract. They decided they didn't need one until the very end. They farted around. I was one of the AWA fleet service that went around pestering them about voting for representation. They didn't care. They could do without a union.â€￾

deltawatch said:
What a stupid question …..Better question, why should a 20 year airline agent bid behind a 10 year airline agent? \
[post="292498"][/post]​
Because you're not an "airline agent." You're a "USAirways agent" or an "America West agent" or a "Delta agent" or whatever.

When you show up for work every day, do you check in at some generic "airline agent desk" and get assigned to whichever airline needs help that particular day? No (unless your particular airline happens to do some contracted work). Does your paycheck have the name of one particular airline on it? Yes.

deltawatch said:
Quote "Why should the AWA folks take it in the chops because they work for a younger company?"

What a stupid question …..Better question, why should a 20 year airline agent bid behind a 10 year airline agent? And why should a CWA member give up language he/she fought hard for....“100% seniority in merger or takeover.
Plus IV been paying union dues for years and like barbeetantrums posted... “The Teamsters local for AWA CSRs and reservations doesn't even have a contract. They decided they didn't need one until the very end. They farted around. I was one of the AWA fleet service that went around pestering them about voting for representation. They didn't care. They could do without a union.â€￾
[post="292498"][/post]​

Let's say that a 10 year agent at PHX can bid weekdays (probably not, but what the heck). Let's say that a 30 year agent at PIT can bid days.

Why should the 10 year guy have to work weekend nights because his/her healthy airline merged with US (on death's door)?

The HP agent had some decent career expectations. Absent the merger, the US agent has no career expectations.

I love the fact that some percentage of every US workgroup seems to think they are entitled to a windfall because they have in X years. Without HP stepping in, those years are worth nothing, and yet straight DOH is thrown around like it's a birthright.

"Why should the 10 year guy have to work weekend nights because his/her healthy airline merged with US (on death's door)?"

Because the union at the "death's door airline" has a contract that says if a healthy or unhealthy airline buys them, their seniority must be honored, 100% by the combined company, or there can be no deal. Any other questions?