CWA vote on New Concessions

They are supporting this since those employees whom have been displaced will likely be those working for Express or other outfits - still under the US (and CWA) umbrella. So it is a matter of No...No job or Yes...job with less pay or job opportunities with Express when they move in. It is Christmas time and the job market stinks; people will vote for what is best for their families. You can't live off of no pay...but you can at least make do on little - or get by at least.

If you want to "say no to these clowns"...turn in your badge, uniform, and manuals and say thanks for everything and move on. Don't take the whole ship down with a no vote when you have no desire to continue to work for the company.

Interesting how American Eagle starts at $9.00 (or thereabouts)...yet they aren't union have probably have much more efficient work rules. It is nice to always sit there and pull tickets, but maybe it is time for everyone to take a couple days a week and throw bags too.

sorry, but from day one i have tried to tell everyone all the cwa cares about is getting their dues....they sold us out.....do you realize how many people will be working at eight dollars an hour......we don't even have a pension, but sure the pilots and everyone else has.....they need to stop their pensions first....then see how much money that saves them....cwa stinks.....

dfw79 wrote:
You can't live off of no pay...but you can at least make do on little - or get by at least.

If the company wishes to take away the incentive to stay, I agree. why give your time,experience,dedication, comitment and support to a company that continues to do nothing but remove the things that attracted you to the job in the first place. I know I didn't particularly enjoy my starting wages, but I knew what I could expect if I stayed over a decade. It was...well, a career. I guess the company would be better run by a bunch of transients.

Interesting how American Eagle starts at $9.00 (or thereabouts)...yet they aren't union have probably have much more efficient work rules. It is nice to always sit there and pull tickets, but maybe it is time for everyone to take a couple days a week and throw bags too.

It was the customer service agents that voted to have the cwa representing them. I believe res took most of the votes and believed that this particular union was best for their purposes.HUGE MISTAKE. Airport agents should have voted with the ramp and been under one union. I wish we could cross utilize. I'd rather "throw bags".

Also, no, it is not nice to "sit there and pull tickets". Your comment does not even come close to describing the responsabilities and demands placed on the customer service workers. It is rather insulting. You havent a clue.

Furthermore, why dont you imagine that you are taking a 50% pay cut at something you have relied on (maybe your current job)for over 20 years and come bouncing into work knowing your recent loss of funds in your checking account was not of your doing. It happend to be at the hand of someone else, who happens to make 15 times as much as you do, but over your carreer, has managed to screw up so many times that he has no other choice than to cut your wages.

I have to agree with you DFW79. I feel like I am in the minority because I do love my job at US. Although I have been outsourced, relocated twice at my own expense due to outsourcing from a non union position, red-circled on pay during PI-US merger for 2 years (another management perk), etc. But did get a raise when I went into a customer service function from management.

I voted YES to the last concession for my union group and will vote YES again and again if need be. Why? Because I do enjoy my job and will hope for the best. If the company manages to come out of BK, I am hoping I will still have a job like many of my co-workers.

If you're a US employee who is fed up with the "intimidation" from Management and are so unhappy, then leave before you vote "NO". Give the rest of us who will stay a chance to. There are actually some of us here who will stay and work for the reduced pay and more expensive benefits. Why? Because the economy is in the toilet. Almost every industry is doing bad and layoffs are rampant.

Thanks for letting me vent. It's been a long 4 months of lurking and I couldn't take it anymore. Best of luck to everyone for the future.

Schatzee,

I don't believe you are in the minority. Most of the people I work with still like their jobs and want to keep them.

I don't believe the CWA has sold you guys down the river either. I think they are trying to act in the best interests of the most amount of workers. Those getting furloughed will at least have some furlough pay to go along with their unemployment pay. Considering the high seniority of many of the people being streeted, it adds up to a good bit of change. It could make the difference in a mortage foreclosure or repossession of a car. Stills stinks to the high heavens but is better than the nothing Dr. Bronner wishes for you.

Do a Google search on Luddites. Technology has a down side. We in the airline business are feeling it in spades.

Business travel isn't going to rebound any time soon. Many corporations are struggling to lower costs. (Except for CEO's who have set new standards in obscene pay and benefit packages.) Air travel has become too costly not just financially, but time-wise as well. Video conferencing is becoming the norm. No fuss, no muss, face to face time with minimum hassle or expense. No hotel bills or per diem, no car rentals or being at the mercy of the airlines. Can you blame them?

My friends, we are relics of a once-glamorous past. Our jobs are not the same and never will be again. As soon as the airlines can convince the FAA vending machines will serve just as well as flight attendants, we too will be gone. Let's be grateful we have some wonderful memories to share with the grandkids.

Pilots no longer command the respect or the money they once did. It's only going to get worse. I don't see RJ's as an answer to anything but the racheting down of pay. They will increase air traffic and will once again bring us the infamous ATC delays as they fill the skies from every small to middle size city into hubs. If the hub and spoke system survives at all.

I'm too senior to hope for involuntary furlough. I'm not trying to be insensitive here, I'm just voicing my thoughts and wish I had an option. I'm too old to hope to find a job that will allow me to get vested in a retirement plan. I know I can get another job but not one that I'll enjoy as much as I have the last 30 years. And I hope I don't run into age discrimination while I send out resumes and make calls on prospective employers.

Please know my prayers are with you. My heart aches at the tremendous loss of great employees and friends at US Airways. Let's hope that history will remember who the real villians are in this devastation. Corporate greed will continue as they have the money to support certain political institutions.

Dea

PS: Please forgive any typo's and spelling errors. I'm writing this through tears.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 9:31:20 PM REACC1 wrote:

Also, no, it is not nice to "sit there and pull tickets". Your comment does not even come close to describing the responsabilities and demands placed on the customer service workers. It is rather insulting. You havent a clue.

Furthermore, why dont you imagine that you are taking a 50% pay cut at something you have relied on (maybe your current job)for over 20 years and come bouncing into work knowing your recent loss of funds in your checking account was not of your doing. It happend to be at the hand of someone else, who happens to make 15 times as much as you do, but over your carreer, has managed to screw up so many times that he has no other choice than to cut your wages.
----------------
[/blockquote]

REACC1...first off let me please apologize deeply for anything that I have done to insult you - for that was not my intention. I know completely what goes on working the front end or gate. Besides passengers sitting and screaming at you over the airline's policies to having to know every weird sabre code when doing a rebook, coupon...whatever to bag claims. My roommate is a lead for another airline and two of my good friends work in the trenches as well. I hear all the horror stories and know exactly what they go through - I've seen it.

I've never had to go through the pain of losing 50% of my pay check, the nearest I can come to that is when the tech bubble burst and the stock of my former employer (AOL) went to hell. I had been dumping 20% of my pay check into it each month and bought (through options or ESPP) since I was in a department where I was getting fairly decent bonuses above my $9/hr pay. Long story short...I was moved to a new department, those bonuses vanished but my pay eventually went up to $10.57 after 2 years (started at $7.50) through performance raises, and the shares I had bought at $59 dropped to $19. So indirectly I know what it is like to get my pay reduced without my doing...my paychecks were normally $800-1200 every 2 weeks, feel to $450 or lower - all thanks to their need to buy Time Warner and moving me around to another area.

I never put in as much time as you did or as most other US Airways employees...so my set back is far minor to what you all are going through. Over the months I have flopped back and forth on supporting management to labor. My position now is for what is best for US Airways and this company. My shares in this company are worthless now, but i've had them since I was 13 as a gift from my parents - a sentimental attatchment you can say. It sickens me to sit back and what someone on such an ego trip drive a company down. Somewhere along the line these head executives lose something call common sense and reason. They quit listening to their employees and do things they are instructed to by some old gray man with harry potter glasses. I'm sure no airline expert...heck I run a small, meaningless (to the rest of the industry) internet service provider that is based on the principle of common sense. I don't get caught up in buying a $5000 desk for my office or even paying myself thousands of dollars a month - I haven't drawn a pay check in a year...everyone gets paid first, I get what is left over as long as their is money in the bank to pay for the next year's bills.

Oh well, I don't have enough to try to take this place over - but what a kick that would be. ;) I'm with you guys...hang in there.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 3:18:08 PM pitrescsd wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 2:56:39 PM Boomer wrote:

CWA members at US Airways will vote on the proposed changes in a telephone and Internet voting process directed by the American Arbitration Association. The voting closes on Dec. 31, 2002.

Does this "voting" include employees on Involuntary Furlough? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

[/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
[/blockquote]
yes, all menbers, furlough and active get to vote..info from john tyler local pres..

Since there arent specifics spelled out in the news above, I was wondering about a few things. If anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated. I am also sending to my local, but know things must be hectic all around and would appreciate any info.[BR]Re- SARS - since I'm sure many stations will see another round of cuts of agents and the hiring of SARS to help with the kiosks and queueing, does anyone know if the agents offered SAR jobs will start at the bottom of the pay scale or remain in the step they are at now? [BR]Will displaced agents be able to bid SAR jobs before/during/or after currently displaced SARS?[BR]What is to happen to the agents in the cities currently working EXPRESS classification originally from mainline? Will they be transferred to one of the Express companies, have the chance to take a furlough or be stuck where they are starting over again in pay?[BR]I have lots more what ifs, but must get ready to go to that place of merriment called work.[BR]Thanks for any info.

Remember when we used to get a Christmas Bonus?

Now our bonus from our CEO and Bronner is -
We are gonna shut this company down if you don't agree to give up more...............
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!
14.gif']

[DIV]
[DIV]Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 12:17 PM[/DIV]
[DIV]Subject: Fwd: CWA Contract News Release[/DIV][/DIV]
[DIV][BR][/DIV][FONT face=arial,helvetica][FONT size=2]I[BR]RECOMMENDATION[BR]This document contains modifications to the 1999 CWA/US Airways Collective[BR]Bargaining Agreement and the 2002 Restructuring Agreement as proposed by US[BR]Airways under the threat of Bankruptcy Chapter 7, Liquidation and shutdown of the[BR]airline. The attached CWA Term Sheet cannot be called a result of “good faithâ€[BR]bargaining between US Airways and CWA, but rather an ultimatum from management to[BR]accept their demands or face the liquidation and sale of the Company and its assets. It is[BR]under the threat of liquidation and the loss of each member’s job at US Airways that your[BR]CWA bargaining team, including CWA Local Presidents and Staff, recommend your[BR]“YES†vote for this Amended Term Agreement.[BR]CWA members and furloughees will participate in a ratification process for the proposed[BR]Agreement, conducted by the American Arbitration Association. Your vote may be cast[BR]on the AAA telephone and Internet system, available 24 hours per day, seven days a[BR]week, until the voting deadline. You will receive a mailing directly from the American[BR]Arbitration Association explaining the voting process.[BR]Summary of Major Changes[BR](Concessions)[BR]Productivity and Revenue changes[BR]• Eliminate Internet Support Work and Express Agent work except that we keep[BR]Express Agent agreement covering Mainline stations that convert to Express[BR]stations;[BR]•[BR]Increase in the return on MDA job protection and benefits for furloughed[BR]mainline employees (see attachment A);[BR]• No extension of the contract to STT and STX, two stations that should by law be[BR]covered by the contract;[BR]• Allow SAR’s to queue lines, assist passengers with check-in, and baggage[BR]processing associated with kiosks;[BR]• Allow the company to use contractors to perform passenger service work where[BR]company charters are operated into non-CWA represented cities;[BR]• SARS and/or SkyCaps may issue boarding passes/seat assignments at curbside;[BR]• Allow 2 US Airways flights daily into Express cities, allowing Express agents of[BR]other companies to do the work on the mainline flights;II[BR]• Allow 4 US Airways flights daily into newly opened cities without giving those[BR]jobs to mainline employees, and allowing contracted employees from other[BR]companies to have those jobs.[BR]Pay and Benefits:[BR]• Increase the employee cost of our medical plan premiums, deductibles, co-payments,[BR]and prescription costs effective July 1, 2003. Employees will be[BR]allowed to change enrollment prior to implementation. See attached medical and[BR]benefit summary and charts;[BR]• Defer 5% of our salary for up to 18 months if US invades Iraq; or an act of[BR]terrorism occurs that has a material adverse impact on commercial aviation; salary[BR]to be paid back over the same number of months included in the deferral;[BR]• Postpone the defined benefit search decision until six months after the Company[BR]emerges from bankruptcy.[BR]Returns[BR]•[BR]Employees on voluntary furlough may retire from furlough consistent with[BR]existing Article 15 of the contract, the same as involuntary furlough, as long as[BR]there is an available system vacancy in the classification and status;[BR]• The company will allow parents of employees furloughed after 9/1/2001 to be[BR]considered “eligible family members†for purposes of online non-revenue travel;[BR]• The company is offering a profit sharing plan that requires the company pre-tax[BR]profits to reach 7% before it pays out.[BR]• Vesting in the equity stake we negotiated in the last concession agreement will be[BR]somewhat accelerated;[BR]• CWA Passenger Service will be given a seat on the US Airways Board of[BR]Directors equal with the pilots, mechanics and flight attendants.[/FONT] [/FONT]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/19/2002 1:35:50 PM tadjr wrote:

• Defer 5% of our salary for up to 18 months if US invades Iraq; or an act of
terrorism occurs that has a material adverse impact on commercial aviation; salary
to be paid back over the same number of months included in the deferral;
[/blockquote]

Yeah, defer my ass. They will take the 5% and never give it back.

Latest posts