Cwa Vs Us Vs Invol Furloughed Employees

oldtimer

Aug 22, 2002
Does any reader knowledgeable of the company's 1113 proposal, as well as the CWA know how the company is planning to treat future retirees that were Involuntarily furloughed? I have read that Pre65 retirees (does not specify active or furloughed) will be able to cash in sick time to reduce medical costs for a period, up to $481 a month. Would that also applied to involuntary furloughed employees who left over 1500 hours of sick time on the books when we were shoved out the door? No one seems to have an answer, and my former station no longer has CWA representation. Seems we can't get answers anywhere, so we must rely on the kindness of others.

i hope this helps: according to today's usa today money section, on the left front side it said that usairways intends to get rid of retiree's meda nd benies with or without unions input. i hope that helps

Manager said he had been getting a lot of requests from retirees and potential retirees asking about coverage. He was told by his boss that the 1113 isnt concerned with retirees medical/insurance and that the 1114 will cover that. They havent even started on those yet. No clue on what the plans would be for someone who was furloughed. Try contacting your local office and ask the President to get some clarification on the issue. It might be something that they arent even aware of or thinking about and it would be good to give them a heads up so they can get answers when that comes to talks.

This might make some interesting reading for those wondering what will happen to retiree health benefits:

Docket #544

A pertinent part:

27. Modification or termination of Retiree Medical Benefits is permitted if the
debtor and the “authorized representativeâ€￾ of the retirees agree to a modification or
termination of Retiree Medical Benefits, or if the debtor and the authorized
representative do not reach an agreement and the Court authorizes modification or
termination of such benefits pursuant to the standards set forth in Sections 1114(g)
and/or (h).

You can also read the "Declaration of David M. Davis in Support of Debtors' Report for Appointment of Members to Bankruptcy Code Section 1114 Retiree Committee", which is Docket #547

The company wants to "fast track" the 1114 process. They want Retiree Committee members selected on Oct 28, a meeting of the committee on Oct 29 where the company 1114 proposal would be delivered, 7 days for the committee to review the proposal, 10 days for negotiations, and a negotiated or imposed settlement (with any 1113c rulings concurrently). My finger counting makes that Nov 15 for either agreed or imposed 1114 and 1113c relief.

Jim