DC-9 vs A319 NTSB Report

tech2101

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
Reality
Visit site
Here is the final summary report.

There are many lesson to be learned with this one.

1) Reliability issues can rapidly turn into safety of flight issues.

2) F/A's performed well under pressure in this one.

3) The maintenance personnel were the first on the scene and performed admirably: "but it was not until some guys helped pull the door open from the other side that he was able to get out. He did not know how he got out of the cockpit but he remembered thinking, 'I don't want to burn'." This was NWA MSP maintenance guys who used the tug to get into the aircaft and get the pilot and F/O out.

I don't know what the PIC was (not) thinking when he shut down that left engine. I was also surprised that they were shocked when they realized they had no Hyd pressure.

Comments anyone?

Thanks for posting the link!

Here's my questions:

1. Why not RTFL to CMH? I understand redunancy of systems, but wouldn't that have made sense, especially with a maintenance "base" there?

2. Barring that, why not just stop and stay put after landing? Yeah, they might have rolled some, but probably only into grass and not an Airbus.

3. I agree with Tech2101; what was the rationale of shutting down engine #1?!

4. I may have read it wrong, but I believe the transcript mentions the "sound" of pedals. If those were the brakes, then that's even worse. Even I know with no hydraulics you only have a limited amount of pumps on the brakes before they go bye-bye.

5. Injuries to ground employees are mentioned. Anyone know the specifics?

6. Lastly, can someone explain how a tug was used to open the door (as a defacto airstairs maybe)?

Here's my questions:

1. Why not RTFL to CMH? I understand redunancy of systems, but wouldn't that have made sense, especially with a maintenance "base" there?

2. Barring that, why not just stop and stay put after landing? Yeah, they might have rolled some, but probably only into grass and not an Airbus.

4. I may have read it wrong, but I believe the transcript mentions the "sound" of pedals. If those were the brakes, then that's even worse. Even I know with no hydraulics you only have a limited amount of pumps on the brakes before they go bye-bye.

6. Lastly, can someone explain how a tug was used to open the door (as a defacto airstairs maybe)?

This is from another site. I can't verify that the poster is who he says he is, but this is the account that I have heard verified by people who were there that day.

Comment:

"Just a note, No one that was involved in seeing the people get safely removed from the wreck were scabs, In fact I was the push back driver that afternoon, sh*tty thing about that if you watch the tape of the wreck you clearly see the tug was back some 40ft or so when the a320 and dc-9 actually collied, But soon after words for my reward, for helping people down the slides and telling the capt to deploy door 1 left, I was rushed off to Edina southdale for a PISS TEST,, what a joke, all the guys on the gold were true heroes that day, of course MAC later that evening told the local press how there system in place worked like clockwork,,, well as it turned out there was not a One crash crew fire fighter helping with unloading, or MAC police or northworst management, No one but gold concourse mechanics, But of course MAC spokesman told another story that did not even come close to what took place,,,, sorry bastards and there lies, CRASH CREW firefighters in the crash protection suits on the sidelines watching 2 mechanics rescue the pilots from the d-c 9 cockpit soaked in jet fuel,,,,,,, I am so very proud of all you guys,,,, nortwest you really do suck my god, Why in world would a company want to rid themselves of such brave and noble men,,,, And yes the bravest person on the rescue was a EX-MARINE GOD BLESS YOU DUSTY,, And no I was not a marine no freaking way man I am ex NAVY and proud of it."

Here's my questions:

Kev:
My 2 cents worth on some of your talking points:

Item 2. They did stop after landing and requested a tow. Withthe left engine still running, brakes are still good.

Item 3. I don't know it for fact, but I beieve it was always SOP to shut down the left engine just before arrival at the gate. This was to reduce noise to the PAX when departing the acft while the right engine ran until the ramp hooked up ground power. (I always thought it odd that all the personell are on the right side of the acft - why not do the right and reduce the chances of FOD getting sucked in.)

Another point not confirmed, the crew did decide to call off the tug crew and taxi in. Nothing would have happened if they just left the "left eng" running. But creatures of habit - they shut down the wrong engine. The rumor going around as to why they did not wait for the tug crew: If they did not get to the gate soon, the pilot was going to miss his jumpseat ride home and be stuck in MSP. I'm sure someone has heard the CVR tape.

And also to my knowledge, the rescue techs never scabed. And they never got the recognition for their rescue efforts either. Tech 2101 is very correct on this.