DCI Carrriers at DTW

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Just flew into DTW on M/L DL flight and noticed a surprising number of RJs parked in concourse A of the McNamara Terminal/Worldgateway concourse. It seemed before the RJs parked in the satellite B/C concourse accessible by tunnel. Has their been a shift away from DC9/319/320 flying to 2-cabin RJs at DTW? Seems several new international routes have been added but domestically more flights seem to be on RJs. Of course, PM-DL metal has replaced some of the PM-NW metal on various routes too but it still seems there are more RJs than before.

Josh

There has been a shift to 2-Class RJ's as a backfill for the DC9's. Not necessarily a 1:1 type deal, but still. It may seem more pronounced in DTW, since it had a ton of DC9 service previously. Buried deep in the recesses on A.Net is a thread that breaks down each hubs previous flying w/it's (then) current traffic, and further delineates it between M/L shrinkage (or growth) and DCI. Maybe I'll wade into the cobwebs and see what I can find.

They may also be on A now as part of a move handling-wise from REAS back to M/L. I know we took some back when REAS was wound down, but can't remember which ones (OO, maybe?). I'd have to look. Another factor may be that whatever particular carrier(s) may be now handled by M/L have more flying ex-DTW than before. I'd have to go looking for that.

Hell, I dunno; maybe there were a bunch on ground holds when you got in due to the weather everywhere else... lol.

Thanks Kev makes sense. Interesting that different RJ operators for DL have different handling agreements at their second largest hub.

Josh

Yep, definitely interesting!

M/L has always handled CP flights. With the wind down of REAS, I'm pretty sure we took over S5 flights in DTW. I still haven't found specifics on the other below wing work. We also took over ramp control for the DCI operation in MSP and I'm fairly certain DTW as well...

I'd like to see whatever statistics you have on flight activity over the years, K.

DTW has become my favorite hub airport in the US... the McNamara terminal is spacious, open and airy, and very logical - two parallel concourses is it.

It was also a steal to build compared to other terminal projects that opened in the same era - a tribute to how well NW managed its resources.

The only drawback to the former NW Worldport is that it isn't used any more than it is. NW clearly built a facility w/ enormous growth potential and 9/11 didn't help fill the terminal Given the size of the McNamara terminal, most if not all of DL's operation at ATL could fit in the facility.

I would guess part of the reason for putting some large RJs on the A concourse is to help convey the sense that large RJ flights are as much like mainline as possible.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree DTW is an awesome airport. Both terminals-McNamara Worldgateway and North Terminal are modern, spacious, and pleasant to spend time in. The Westin is great too, the staff always remember me and are friendly.

http://archrecord.construction.com/projects/bts/archives/transportation/03_McNamara/overview.asp

Josh

It is awesome; especially if you remember what life there was like before the new terminals. And yes, the Westin is fabulous- I was there not too long ago.

That said, I still prefer MSP. What can I say?

What is the attraction of MSP to you, esp. over DTW?

MSP works well as a hub but the set of terminals is a collection that has been joined together over a number of decades and wasn't intended to be connected the way it is now.

Reminds me of CLT or MEM.

I'm not a fan of thinking everything has to be torn down and rebulit just because it is old, but DTW was a leap forward in US hub airport design.

ATL was a great design - and still is - but the concourses need to be a lot more spacious.

Perhaps one day when DL is comfortable that WN is where it wan'ts to be in ATL, DL will shift about 20% of the flights up to DTW.

Reactions: 1 person
It is awesome; especially if you remember what life there was like before the new terminals. And yes, the Westin is fabulous- I was there not too long ago.

That said, I still prefer MSP. What can I say?

Kev you know the DTW Westin is a union property:

http://www.hotelworkersrising.org/HotelGuide/results.php?loc_city=&property_name=&loc_state=&loc_country=&msa_id=9&orderby=property_name&Submit.x=80&Submit.y=10

Josh

I worked in DTW on a temp assignment from 10/25/1999 to 02/15/2000 at the old and decrepid terminal. After talking to some of the guys drom DTW, it sounds the ramp lost a large amount of permenant FT personnel. I hope they get rid of those small RJ's as soon as possible and upgauge those flights asap.

Latest posts