MD-90s gone from SLC?

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Seems they have all been replaced with the ex-NWA 320/319 aircraft, more 738s, and Skywest CR9s. Before the merger it seemed DL had all 16 MD-90s based in SLC, but obviously they have since acquired more used frames from other carriers and seem to be using them in ATL, DTW, & MSP. A commuting captain told me several years back that DL liked the aircraft and they performed well in high altitude conditions.

Josh

the 320/319 has more range so they moved the M90s to the more eastern hubs. There have been complaints the M90 struggles to make some west coast destinations from MSP w/o payload restrictions but it is very capable of 3 hr flights of which DL has plenty east of the Mississippi.

The M90 also has 10 more seats than the 320; the 319 seems to be preferred for a lot of point to point routes from LGA and LAX.

DL has supposedly approved cockpit upgrades to the M80 and M90 fleets which, if I understand it correctly, allows the 717/M80/M90 to have a common cockpit rating. It also means the M80s will likely be around for a good long time.

The M80 on flights up to 2 hrs supposedly doesn't burn appreciably more fuel than more "fuel-efficient" aircraft since fuel efficiency contributes the most at cruise.

Finally, pilot rumors continue to say that a small order of 321s should be announced soon in return for Airbus helping unload 50 seat RJs.
Supposedly DL is also talking w/ Boeing about some used 744s.

I highly doubt the 744 rumor. Boeing has been offering those used 744's for a year. A321 may happen.Along with sharklet retrofit for A320/319

Looks like 1 MSP-SLC-MSP run on Saturdays only right now...

Well that's something. But seriously that used to be so much of the operating at SLC only a few years back. It's funny from this article it seems the folks at MSP feel shorted losing their 319/320 to SLC for the MD-90s.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/149764555.html?refer=y

Josh

Latest posts

Back