Delta adds LGA-ORD and DFW service

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
Press Release Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Taking Care of Business: Delta Adds Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth to Growing Line-up of Destinations Served Non-Stop from New York-LaGuardia
Monday January 23, 12:13 pm ET
New flights make it possible for Delta customers to fly non-stop between New York's preferred airport and more of the city's top business destinations

NEW YORK, Jan. 23, 2006 (PRIMEZONE) -- Delta Air Lines' customers in New York will be able to fly non-stop between the city's preferred airport at LaGuardia and more of the city's top business destinations with the addition of new daily flights to Chicago-O'Hare and Dallas/Fort Worth this spring. Beginning April 3, Delta will introduce five daily flights between LaGuardia and Chicago-O'Hare International Airport, and two daily flights between LaGuardia and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, with a third Dallas flight beginning May 1.
With the new service to Chicago and Dallas, Delta rounds out its portfolio of non-stop flights between LaGuardia and the airport's top passenger destinations, adding to existing non-stop service to Atlanta, Boston, Washington, D.C. (Reagan), Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and West Palm Beach.

Service on the new routes will be operated by Delta Connection carrier Shuttle America with the new 70-seat Embraer 170 jet featuring both first class and economy service. The Embraer 170 jet is one of the most preferred narrow-body aircraft flying today with large overhead bins and a comfortable seating configuration where every seat is a window or an aisle.

``Delta means business in New York, and we are pleased to expand our leadership position in the world's largest market by offering non-stop service to more of New York's top business destinations from LaGuardia Airport,'' said Glen Hauenstein, Delta's chief of Network Planning and Revenue Management. ``Delta is already proud to offer our New York customers the leading Shuttle product to Washington, D.C., and Boston; a full-service business center for Delta customers at LaGuardia's Marine Air Terminal; and the most transatlantic service of any U.S. airline from New York-JFK. Customers can continue to look for more service enhancements this year as we continue to demonstrate why Delta is New YorkÂ's hometown airline.''

To celebrate these new routes, for a limited time Delta is offering special introductory fares: $59 one way for travel between New York and Chicago and $99 one way for travel between New York and Dallas/Fort Worth, based on a round-trip purchase. Tickets must be purchased by Feb. 7, 2006, and all travel must be completed by May 25, 2006. Additional taxes/fees/restrictions apply. Fares shown are available for purchase only on delta.com or from a travel agent. See below for more details.

As an added benefit to Chicago customers, Delta's new service to Chicago will operate from Delta's Marine Air Terminal -- the preferred terminal at LaGuardia. The Marine Air Terminal is conveniently located away from the high traffic of LaGuardia's main terminals and offers customers upgraded business amenities such as free coffee, newspapers and magazines, as well as a full-service business center. The facility is currently undergoing renovations scheduled for completion this spring that will further enhance the comfort and convenience of flying Delta's shuttles between LaGuardia and Boston and Washington, D.C., and the new daily non-stop service to Chicago-O'Hare.

Delta's new daily service between New York-LaGuardia and
Chicago-O'Hare,(a) effective April 3:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Flight Departs Arrives
6463 New York-LaGuardia at 7 a.m. Chicago-O'Hare at 8:30 a.m.
6465 New York-LaGuardia at 10 a.m. Chicago-O'Hare at 11:30 a.m.
6464 New York-LaGuardia at 1 p.m. Chicago-O'Hare at 2:30 p.m.
6466 New York-LaGuardia at 4 p.m. Chicago-O'Hare at 5:30 p.m.
6461 New York-LaGuardia at 7 p.m. Chicago-O'Hare at 8:30 p.m.
6462 Chicago-O'Hare at 6:15 a.m. New York-LaGuardia at 9:21 a.m.
6463 Chicago-O'Hare at 9:15 a.m. New York-LaGuardia at 12:21 p.m.
6465 Chicago-O'Hare at 12:15 p.m. New York-LaGuardia at 3:21 p.m.
6464 Chicago-O'Hare at 3:15 p.m. New York-LaGuardia at 6:21 p.m.
6466 Chicago-O'Hare at 6:15 p.m. New York-LaGuardia at 9:21 p.m.
(a) Operated by Delta Connection carrier Shuttle America

Delta's new daily service between New York-LaGuardia and Dallas/Fort
Worth,(a) effective April 3:
Flight Departs Arrives
6457 New York-LaGuardia at 7 a.m. Dallas/Fort Worth at
9:43 a.m.
6453 New York-LaGuardia at 3:15 p.m. Dallas/Fort Worth at
5:58 p.m.
6467(B) New York-LaGuardia at 7:15 p.m. Dallas/Fort Worth at
9:58 p.m.
6457 Dallas/Fort Worth at 10:15 a.m. New York-LaGuardia at
2:44 p.m.
6467(B) Dallas/Fort Worth at 2:05 p.m. New York-LaGuardia at
6:34 p.m.
6453 Dallas/Fort Worth at 6:30 p.m. New York-LaGuardia at
10:59 p.m.
(a) Operated by Delta Connection carrier Shuttle America
(B) Flight begins May 1

Delta is one of the largest carriers serving metropolitan New York and operates from all three of the city's major airports -- LaGuardia, John F. Kennedy and Newark. At LaGuardia, Delta has announced new flights to eight non-stop destinations since December and plans to offer customers flights to 30 of the airport's most popular destinations by summer. At New York-JFK, Delta offers a major international hub with 20 flights to 19 destinations in Canada, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, with five additional transatlantic destinations planned for summer. Delta will offer customers more transatlantic flights from JFK than any other airline this summer and will introduce the first non-stop Delta flight between JFK and South America with new non-stop service to Sao Paulo, Brazil beginning in June (subject to foreign government approval).

Delta Air Lines (Other OTC:DALRQ.PK - News) is the world's second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried, offering daily flights to 503 destinations in 94 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. In summer 2006, Delta plans to offer customers more destinations and departures between the U.S. and transatlantic destinations than any global airline, including service on 11 new transatlantic routes from its Atlanta and New York-JFK hubs. Delta also is a major carrier to Mexico, South and Central America and the Caribbean, with more than 35 routes announced, added or applied to serve since Jan. 1, 2005. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.

A portion of travel on some itineraries may be provided by the Delta Connection® carriers: Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Comair or Shuttle America.

You know, I am all for a free market (as much as possible), but with such scarce resources in terms of space at LGA and ORD, adding RJ flights between the two airports seems ridiculous. What a waste of ATC space.

You know, I am all for a free market (as much as possible), but with such scarce resources in terms of space at LGA and ORD, adding RJ flights between the two airports seems ridiculous. What a waste of ATC space.

I agree with you. I just don't get it. Not only for the reasons you mention, but UAL and AA both run an extensive schedule between LGA and ORD (basically competing NYC-CHI shuttles) and now DL wants to fire up competing service? Between two cities where DL has no real connecting service?

Sorta reminds me of UAL's announcement a couple years ago of vastly increased ORD-DFW flights. WTH?

RowUnderDCA: If AA combines with anyone, it will be NW, not DL. DL doesn't have any really valuable franchises like China or NRT, like NW does. And in my opinion, if DL merges with anyone, it will be UAL, which could still use some real East Coast strength, which DL would bring to the table.

uh....AA is clogging LGA w/ RJ service that directly competes w/ the DL and US Shuttles.

FWAAA,
I'm sorry you don't see it but the domestic market is indeed a valuable franchise....DL generates more revenue just with its domestic network than NW does w/ its entire network, including Asia. And UA is indicating it wants to merge with CO, not DL. DL and UA are too large to get DOJ approval and have overlapping mountain hubs, transcons, and Hawaii service. CO and UA and DL and NW have much less overlap. UA learned from the US aquisition attempt not to try to merge w/ someone that will concentrate its market position. CO-UA and DL-NW are really end-on-end rather than consolidating mergers but they do eliminate alot of duplicate overhead.

It's funny to me that when we had these routes in the mid 90's we got rid of them because we couldn't get the market share away from AA and UA.

I guess these RJ's will carry the DL loyals who want to keep their skymiles up. But if giving a choice between flying DL's RJ's or AA or UA's 757 or MD80's I'd pick the larger jets any day.

uh....AA is clogging LGA w/ RJ service that directly competes w/ the DL and US Shuttles.

FWAAA,
I'm sorry you don't see it but the domestic market is indeed a valuable franchise....DL generates more revenue just with its domestic network than NW does w/ its entire network, including Asia. And UA is indicating it wants to merge with CO, not DL. DL and UA are too large to get DOJ approval and have overlapping mountain hubs, transcons, and Hawaii service. CO and UA and DL and NW have much less overlap. UA learned from the US aquisition attempt not to try to merge w/ someone that will concentrate its market position. CO-UA and DL-NW are really end-on-end rather than consolidating mergers but they do eliminate alot of duplicate overhead.

Well, if DL really does generate more revenue with its domestic network than NW with its entire network, that certainly underscores the weakness of the DL international efforts. In addition, the industry really needs some capacity-reducing consolidation, not just overhead-diminishing combinations.

For example, there are simply too many ways for nonhub-city Midwestern passengers to get to LAX or SFO. Hubs at MSP, DTW, ORD, CVG, ATL, STL, DFW, and IAH (I may have overlooked a couple) provide plenty of consumer choices, but also dilute the all-too-rare high-yield pax among too many flights bound for LAX or SFO. Fewer hubs would permit the remaining airlines to increase the concentration of those higher-yielding pax among fewer airplanes. And that's how consolidation can eventually lead to profits.

About CO and UA - I think you have it backwards - CO has indicated it would like UA to buy them, but there's zero evidence out there that UA is interested in buying CO.

I strongly disagree with your antitrust analysis; this ain't 2001 anymore - it's 2006. In my view, DL and UA would face no problems with the DoJ, especially if AA sought to swallow NW at the same time. In 2001, neither US nor UA could claim any "failing company" hardship, but that would be exactly the claim today: it would be easy for UA and AA to establish that without them, DL and NW, respectively, would be in danger of complete failure. Same as with TWA in 2001.

And much like the ill-fated UA-US combo, UA and AA might divide some of the assets to help ensure antitrust approval.

There's another reason that DL-NW makes less sense than DL-UA. Although I understand your desire to see DL finally achieve access to China (and substantial access to Japan, as well) by joining NW, such a combo would still be denied any access to LHR. Like it or not, business travelers want to fly there. Combining with UA would give DL the access to LHR that it has long sought, as well as all that China and NRT access. Or DL could try to make a go of it by flying to AMS and LGW. The hookup with UAL just makes more sense.

AA isn't gonna be able to acquire UAL's China and NRT rights. CO doesn't have enough cash to meet its 2006 commitments, let alone buy another airline.

I don't doubt that investors would cough up a couple billion (or more) in financing to help NW and DL merge, not unlike HP's acquisition of US. And for the same reasons, I have no doubt that the same investors would provide AA a like amount to help it combine with NW. And don't forget - AA has a $3.8 billion head start - its current unrestricted cash balance. NW will be looking for DIP financing soon with oil nearing $70/bbl, and AA may just be there to provide it.

We'll see who is correct. My guess is on AA-NW and UA-DL. CO is the odd girl out at this dance and will survive on its own if it finds sufficient financing.

technically, the EMB-170 is NOT an "RJ." Not that I think this is the best move DL has ever made... :rolleyes:

It's funny to me that when we had these routes in the mid 90's we got rid of them because we couldn't get the market share away from AA and UA.

I guess these RJ's will carry the DL loyals who want to keep their skymiles up. But if giving a choice between flying DL's RJ's or AA or UA's 757 or MD80's I'd pick the larger jets any day.

You might, but there is certainly a particular aspect of flying the new 170 that many DL loyals (including me) will take to, and chose over an AA MD or 757... it's only 90 minutes! I agree with Markkus... the E170 really isn't an RJ from a customer's perspective.

...no middle seats either! It may take some time to pry pax from UA/AA, but this aircraft is small enough (and less costly to ooperate) to sustain a long fight in a market that Delta needs in LGA. Add to the seat piece I mentioned that ORD will be run out of the Marine Air terminal and you might find one or two people thinking it's a good idea.

FWA,
See my discussion of mergers on the discussion under this forum. You make compelling points as do I so we will have to wait.

You have one problem w/ your assessment, though. It is the acquired carrier that declares that they are failing and must be acquired. It is NOT the potential acquirer that declares that another carrier cannot make it. DL and NW have not declared they cannot reorganize and I do not believe they will. Bankruptcy laws give them considerable flexibility – more than enough, I believe to return to viability as standalone players. From a position of being restructured as standalone companies in strength, DL and NW will choose their own future – just as they do during the bankruptcy process unless they fail to present a satisfactory plan of reorganization to the court. I am certain NW will not choose to merge with AA because they know it will decimate a huge portion of the company (which the acquired has to typically remove before they are acquired). DL could choose to be acquired by UA but I believe they would choose that path only if they cannot successfully restructure and only if they cannot remain as a standalone company. There is every indication that DL will be both able to successfully restructure (and do it fairly quickly) and emerge as a viable, standalone company. They will not have access to every market but that would be what drives a merger, not their need for someone to plug the holes in their balance sheet.

I would suggest that AA spend a couple billion dollars on either replacing its MD-80s or more likely replace the engines w/ more fuel efficient ones. And then AA should place an order for 12-15 777-200LRs which they could use to fly anywhere they want from any of their hubs. I can assure you AA employees would far rather see an airplane buy than a merger.

I like the RDU-LAX service. It looks like it is the good use of a RDU terminator. Old Midway flew the route, but I am not sure how well they did. The late LAX arrival and the early RDU arrival might make it a little interesting. just my thoughts.........

This announcement & the RDU-LAX announcement... Both make me scratch my head a bit. They don't seem like great revenue generators to me.

In the LGA case, DL is jumping into two very well served routes against entrenched competitors who have the benefit of hub traffic to fill seats and augement their O&D revenue on these routes. An advantage that DL doesn't bring to the contest.

In the RDU instance, that's a route that will monopolize a 150-seat aircraft for a lot of hours with almost exclusively O&D pax. Hope they can fill those seats because this just doesn't strike me as a way to get maximum aircraft utilization. RDU is such a short hop from ATL with all of its domestic and int'l connections that this move really surprises me.

Maybe DL's on to something with these moves. I just don't see it yet.

This announcement & the RDU-LAX announcement... Both make me scratch my head a bit. They don't seem like great revenue generators to me.

In the LGA case, DL is jumping into two very well served routes against entrenched competitors who have the benefit of hub traffic to fill seats and augement their O&D revenue on these routes. An advantage that DL doesn't bring to the contest.

In the RDU instance, that's a route that will monopolize a 150-seat aircraft for a lot of hours with almost exclusively O&D pax. Hope they can fill those seats because this just doesn't strike me as a way to get maximum aircraft utilization. RDU is such a short hop from ATL with all of its domestic and int'l connections that this move really surprises me.

Maybe DL's on to something with these moves. I just don't see it yet.

You sound as though you favor the connecting traffic. IMHO, if US's and AA's mini-hubs in LGA are focusing on connecting, then why is DL so wrong to try for the locals and actually get better yields? Same with RDU-LAX...let them get yields. The fact that multibple other carriers (WN and AA, at least) have direct service tells me that there is possibly enough O&D demand in this market to make one flight work. Direct flights are often a good indicator that there is fairly substantial local traffic in a market (unless, of course, it is just to re-position the aircraft.)