Delta At Risk For Bankruptcy Filing

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
Nothing really new in the article but I did find the highlighted lines troubling:

Delta Air Lines at Risk for Bankruptcy Filing, Industry Analyst Says

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. dodged a bankruptcy filing last fall thanks to deep concessions from pilots and fresh financing from creditors.
But six months later, the nearly $1.1 billion in loans have been spent and high fuel prices have overshadowed cost-cutting successes. And that's put Delta again at risk of having to seek Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, according to Calyon Securities airline analyst Ray Neidl.

Neidl estimated in a research note issued Tuesday that the nation's third-largest carrier is burning through $4 million in cash a day. Without an improvement, that could drop its unrestricted cash reserves to $1.47 billion by the end of June and $466 million by year's end, dangerous levels for a company with heavy debt and pension funding obligations.

"In our opinion, Delta appears to be the most likely candidate for a bankruptcy filing this year based on its liquidity position," said Neidl, who added in an interview that the crunch time will likely come this fall.

Delta spokeswoman Benet Wilson said she could not comment on the possibility of a Chapter 11 filing nor elaborate on the airline's earnings results issued last Thursday, when Delta said it lost nearly $1.1 billion in the first quarter, the highest in the industry for the January-March period.

"We really don't have anything to add on top of that," Wilson said in an e-mail response to a phone call.

Delta shares have lost more than 90 percent of their value in the last four years, reducing the market value of the company's stock to only about $500 million. By comparison, discount carrier Southwest Airlines Inc.'s market capitalization of $11.5 billion is 23 times larger.

Delta's shares fell 12 cents, or 3.3 percent, to $3.55 in trading Tuesday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Delta did not mention the bankruptcy issue in its earnings release or in a subsequent conference call with analysts, but chief executive Gerald Grinstein indicated March 23 at an investor conference in New York that Delta has not ruled out bankruptcy as an option.

Delta had $1.8 billion in unrestricted cash reserves at the end of the first quarter, the same level as at the end of the fourth-quarter of 2004.

But Delta also said that it borrowed during the quarter the remaining $250 million under a financing agreement with American Express. That was on top of another $830 million that it borrowed in the fourth quarter of last year from American Express and General Electric to fund its daily operations, repay debt and increase cash reserves.

Looking ahead, Delta has significant financial obligations this year, according to regulatory filings. These include $1.1 billion in operating lease payments, $1 billion in interest payments, $835 million in maturing debt that must be repaid and $450 million in pension funding requirements.

J.P. Morgan airline analyst Jamie Baker said in a research note after Thursday's earnings release that Delta needs at least $500 million in additional cash reserves to "merely limp into 2006."

William Rochelle, an airline bankruptcy lawyer in New York, said that because of high fuel prices, bankruptcy remains a possibility for several major carriers, including Delta.

"It's just a question of who goes first," Rochelle said. "Industry conditions are nothing short of brutal."

Aviation jet fuel costs have risen about 50 percent in the last year for U.S. carriers. Delta, alone, spent $884 million on aircraft fuel in the first quarter, up 54 percent from $574 million a year earlier.

Rochelle said a bankruptcy filing by Delta would be particularly difficult because the airline has pledged nearly all of its assets to cover earlier financing agreements.

"Filing would make bankruptcy for them a 'come as you are' party," he said.

Neidl said in his research note that Delta still has some marketable assets that it could sell to raise cash to keep itself afloat, including feeder carriers Comair and Atlantic Southeast Airlines. He estimated a sale of Comair and ASA could fetch for Delta $600 million to $800 million. Delta has indicated it is considering selling non-core assets, but has not specifically said that it plans to shed the two feeder carriers.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050426/delta_outlook.html?.v=2

I guess a rocket scientist could even figure out that if a company continues to lose large and excessive amounts of money that they may be in jeopardy of filing for bankruptcy. Good thing some wrote that article or I would be in the dark. ;)

Hatu said:
He estimated a sale of Comair and ASA could fetch for Delta $600 million to $800 million. Delta has indicated it is considering selling non-core assets, but has not specifically said that it plans to shed the two feeder carriers.
[post="264873"][/post]​

Ouch! Considering that Delta paid something like $2.5 billion for the two commuters in 1999 and 2000. Worst case that is getting less than 25cents on the dollar.

This is bad Karma coming back at Delta. I seem to recall Leo Mullins complaining about the gov't giving weak carriers like Midway Airlines bail out money while in bancruptcy and that bancrupt airlines should cease operations so that the remaining airlines can survive. I thought he lacked compassion for the people behind the airline.

I wonder how Delta feels about being behind the eight ball themselves.

except Delta isn't bankrupt and is trying to re-org outside of the Ch 11 process. they deserve credit for that.

then you have UAL and US basically leeching off of the system.

This isn't about 'compassion' at all. it's about business sense. And Leo Mullin was right.

It is ok to feel that way. I agree with the philosophy myself to some degree. I know folks at Midway felt like they were being kicked by the big boys when they were already down.

If L. Mullen is right, and the soothsayer in the above artical is also correct ( a lot of ifs), then Delta should liquidate and not trouble the one or two profitable airlines with an unlevel playing field.

Business without compassion would make this board dull.

RDU Jetblast said:
It is ok to feel that way. I agree with the philosophy myself to some degree. I know folks at Midway felt like they were being kicked by the big boys when they were already down.
If L. Mullen is right, and the soothsayer in the above artical is also correct ( a lot of ifs), then Delta should liquidate and not trouble the one or two profitable airlines with an unlevel playing field.

Business without compassion would make this board dull.
[post="265047"][/post]​
You feel that DL somehow perpetuated Midways demise?

luv2fly said:
You feel that DL somehow perpetuated Midways demise?
[post="265084"][/post]​

No. Of course not. Midway's wounds were self inflicted.

I'm just wondering if Delta will feel the same way about airlines competing in banckruptcy if they end up chapter 11. The shoe will be on the other foot.

As I said in my first post, this seems like bad Karma for Delta.

"$1 billion in interest payments, $835 million in maturing debt that must be repaid and $450 million in pension funding requirements.

J.P. Morgan airline analyst Jamie Baker said in a research note after Thursday's earnings release that Delta needs at least $500 million in additional cash reserves to "merely limp into 2006." "

limp into 2006? doesn't DAL have over 20BILLION in debt? how can DAL seriously avoid bankruptcy? i see a filing by end of summer......

:shock:

skyflyr69 said:
"$1 billion in interest payments, $835 million in maturing debt that must be repaid and $450 million in pension funding requirements.

J.P. Morgan airline analyst Jamie Baker said in a research note after Thursday's earnings release that Delta needs at least $500 million in additional cash reserves to "merely limp into 2006." "
limp into 2006? doesn't DAL have over 20BILLION in debt? how can DAL seriously avoid bankruptcy? i see a filing by end of summer......

:shock:
[post="266386"][/post]​

Delta and all of the other legacy carriers are going down faster than the Titanic!!!

BWWAAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAH :p :p :p :p :p

WNrforlife said:
Delta and all of the other legacy carriers are going down faster than the Titanic!!!

[post="266434"][/post]​
and you find humor in this? i suppose you also get your jollys watching a ten car pileup :down:

WNrforlife said:

[post="266434"][/post]​

Were you born with such asinine wisdom or have you just accumulated it over time? B)

You would have LOVED to work for Delta. They didn't hire YOU. So you took what you could get. Now, because of the whoring of the industry, we all keep taking paycuts to compete. Be honest, if not with us, with yourself.

Good to see Fly return to this board with her common sense wisdom.

There may be alot of people who will be eating crow before long. All six of the legacy airlines are not going to fail and a couple of them will be around for a good long time - just to serve as a speedbump for Southwest Airlines among others.

and now making another comparison...
Given that DL's costs are now lower than NW's (which are in the same league w/ US), those who thought the big red machine was invincible might want to think twice. Oh, and NW has relatively little low cost competition in its largest hubs - in fact, NW has the least amount of LCC competition in its hubs when compared w/ the other legacies. Just look at how quick the picture changed for US. B6 has said the midwest seems fare game for its 190s and we ALL know who the dominant airline is in the midwest. WN is working on a back door entrace to MSP w/ its ATA codeshare, too.