Delta creditors hard for US Air to corral-adviser

That's where Charlotte comes in, they'll be the sacrifical lamb. Give up the gates there and WN/FL will jump at that in a flash.
But will they serve FAY, AVL, TRI, AGS, ILM, CRW, etc?

The DOJ says they look at city-pairs, not single airports. So all those smaller markets we serve thru CLT and DL serves thru ATL would still become monopoly/near monopoly markets unless someone else started service from them to the other end of the city-pair.

Jim

The DOJ says they look at city-pairs, not single airports. So all those smaller markets we serve thru CLT and DL serves thru ATL would still become monopoly/near monopoly markets unless someone else started service from them to the other end of the city-pair.

Jim
Ah, big deal. Alot of those people already drive to neighboring airports to take advantage of cheaper fares. People in FAY drive to RDU all the time to take advantage of WN, etc. Plus, the fares in those little towns are already supposedly "sky high", doubt they will skyrocket further...saying so is pure speculation and against what is being said by execs....

Jim
They'll have to lose service or serve it from ATL. They dumped my city 2-3 years ago. I used to be loyal to US but now since I have to drive down to PHL or MDT, I choose whomever I have the most FF miles with. Just the amount of dual service cities has to be alot. I think NW would have been a better match, Equipment is basically the same, except for the 747 and DC9. DL would have to add 738,777, MD88, MD90. Is the 763 and 764 rated the same as US 762's?

If this merger would happen go through, It sure will be ONE BIG HEADACHE!

That's precisely US' argument - the folks in cities will have "nearby" alternatives like the 3 hr drive to RDU from ILM - if you miss rush hour in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Research Triangle area.

Jim

That's precisely US' argument - the folks in cities will have "nearby" alternatives like the 3 hr drive to RDU from ILM - if you miss rush hour in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Research Triangle area.

Jim
And they are right! Most people will drive 2-3 hours to save on airfare, they have been doing it for years. Just because DL is in these small markets with US does not mean the prices are at all rational, nor will they ever be, until "WN" types come. So?

They'll have to lose service or serve it from ATL. They dumped my city 2-3 years ago. I used to be loyal to US but now since I have to drive down to PHL or MDT, I choose whomever I have the most FF miles with. Just the amount of dual service cities has to be alot. I think NW would have been a better match, Equipment is basically the same, except for the 747 and DC9. DL would have to add 738,777, MD88, MD90. Is the 763 and 764 rated the same as US 762's?

If this merger would happen go through, It sure will be ONE BIG HEADACHE!
-----------------------------------------------------------

I said this 10-15 yrs ago...Its called the "SouthWest effect" You can fly from small airports near major cities to small airports near major cities...not from "Your city"....

If you live within say 2hrs of a SW city...your days of travel without a 2hr drive to the airport are numbered.

Once again people, read between the lines....

Wow....the amount of people that think air travel is a right or owed to them or something just astounds me??

We dont work for free....OK!!!!

If you don't like the facts, tell the DOJ - I don't make this stuff up.

Maybe you can tell us where the proposed $950 million per year in revenue synergies is going to come from if average fares aren't going to go up in these small markets after a US/DL merger.

Jim

If you don't like the facts, tell the DOJ - I don't make this stuff up.

Maybe you can tell us where the proposed $950 million per year in revenue synergies is going to come from if average fares aren't going to go up in these small markets after a US/DL merger.

Jim
----------------------------------------------------------

I would say the average fares in these cities will go down to -0-

Maybe we will stop serving these stagecoach stops and get back to basics...

Go from major to major like SW and let the smallfry drive or stay home...

When they are willing to pay fair market, we will make a market.

They do it to us everyday with everything we buy.

Why do airlines have to be any different?

If you really want to make a free market comparison, ask yourself--what would a pilot be worth without ALPA?

The answer, my friend, is maybe half what you make now, nevermind what you may have made before.

Think about it, genius.
-------------------------------------------------------

Southwest doesnt have ALPA.....

I not really any smarter than you...but thanks for the compliment......

-------------------------------------------------------

Southwest doesnt have ALPA.....

I not really any smarter than you...but thanks for the compliment......

Replace ALPA with "union."

And they don't have ALPA--they are smarter than ALPA.

But if you want a truly free market, you are going to come out of that a helluva lot worse than the average traveler.

Replace ALPA with "union."

And they don't have ALPA--they are smarter than ALPA.

But if you want a truly free market, you are going to come out of that a helluva lot worse than the average traveler.
--------------------------------------------------------

You are ever so correct. How the sentiment of entitlement(sp) got so wound up in my head I will never know.

I for one am grateful for the remaiming pay and benefits allowed me in this rough and tumble market place.

Thankful as well for the excess pay and benefits in the past...good time cant last forever....

Hopefully we can make some continuing adjustments to our product, (progress always seems a slow process) and offer more for less. Still with a profit mind you, so as to offer these constantly imporving values to our customer!!

Good points.

Assuming that DL and US share many duopoly destinations (those served solely by DL and US), isn't it reasonable to think that a merger would cause USDL to trim its combined capacity (in an attempt to drive up yield), thus providing an opening for another airline to initiate service, driving down the yield to approx pre-merger levels? So instead of US and DL, those cities would be served by USDL and one of UAX, AX, COEX, etc?

In the one-horse towns (served by only one airline, DL or US), they're already paying thru the nose. Can't get any worse for Springfield (served now solely by DL) that Shelbyville (served now solely by US) and Springfield will now be served by the same airline: USDL. Name on the ground equipment may change - but single-carrier towns tend to pay high fares no matter what (unless WN is printed on the stuff). And if the combined USDL decides to axe a bunch of those podunkvilles, won't someone else apply for the EAS grants and serve them instead?

I know for a fact that Springfield has non-stop service to London, Rio, Tokyo and Paris. Marge told me.

Latest posts