Delta flight lands on taxiway instead of runway

Dawn /Dark/barely light out what is your point. I don't experience many Citrus flying around at that time of day so explain your experience with this situation. They will turn the LOC on but it is not instantaneous on like you make out. I guess that is what you would do but I doubt it. Landing east flys over the fewest houses so that is the preferred runway and the best approaches per minimums but of course you know that because you are Citrus .
I guess the point is that you said "...both pavements would appear to be unlighted" for an approach and landing almost 2 hours before sunrise, and I was just pointing out that this was not the case, and I didn't think that by doing so I would hurt your feelings, and...golly gee I'm sorry.

What experience would you like for me to describe to you? Switching runways, landing at 0605, medical emergencies? Let me know.

I have been offered the inboard runway in ATL numerous times. The time elapsed from the controller offering to turn on the localizer until I was receiving it was a matter of seconds. That's pretty instantaneous in my book, perhaps just regular taneous in yours.

If landing east puts the fewest arriving aircraft over the fewest houses, wouldn't it put the most departing (and louder) aircraft over the same houses? Let me guess; you're now going to say we land east and depart west, all at the same time, kinda like an airshow?

Landing to the east used to provide the only lower than CAT I minimums. There are now CAT II approaches to the west.

I guess the point is that you said "...both pavements would appear to be unlighted" for an approach and landing almost 2 hours before sunrise, and I was just pointing out that this was not the case, and I didn't think that by doing so I would hurt your feelings, and...golly gee I'm sorry.

What experience would you like for me to describe to you? Switching runways, landing at 0605, medical emergencies? Let me know.

I have been offered the inboard runway in ATL numerous times. The time elapsed from the controller offering to turn on the localizer until I was receiving it was a matter of seconds. That's pretty instantaneous in my book, perhaps just regular taneous in yours.

If landing east puts the fewest arriving aircraft over the fewest houses, wouldn't it put the most departing (and louder) aircraft over the same houses? Let me guess; you're now going to say we land east and depart west, all at the same time, kinda like an airshow?

Landing to the east used to provide the only lower than CAT I minimums. There are now CAT II approaches to the west.
Sorry to question your experience.You can question mine anytime.You must be on the 717 and do not see LAX and in the early morning and late night you will see exactly that in ATL . Cat III to the east and the preferred landing configuration is East or am I wrong ? Very few departures in ATL at that time of the day. My experience when I worked in the tower was that changing LOC's took longer then that. I can not remember hearing some one when offered the in board runway on a visual asking for them to turn on the LOC. You must have a different experience then I do. Since you have seen the NTSB report then you can tell me whether 6:05 or 6 :10 was scheduled arrival time or actual . My experience is those arrivals land as much as 45 min early dependent on the winds. But all We worry about is customs which opens at 5:30 .

How long does it take for the localizer system to "fire up?"
I have many friends who maintain localizers (the ground based units). I used to maintain the airborne systems. They are turned on and off by the tower. There is no boot up time. One is modulated at 90 Hz, the other at 150 Hz and are transmitted from separate, co-located antennas. Each antenna transmits a narrow beam, one slightly to the left of the runway centerline, the other to the right. The a/c loc receiver picks up the frequencies and based on the difference in modulation knows whether the a/c is to the left or right and converts it to a signal that is displayed on the PFD (HSI).

Delta pilots set to avoid punishment for landing on taxiway instead of runway:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1258168414...mp;mod=yahoo_hs

Contrast with the two bozos on the NW certificate who somehow lost track of time on their way to MSP; their licenses were pulled by the FAA and according to the article linked above, DL has no intention of reinstating them even if they successfully appeal their license suspensions.