Delta passengers skip past immigration after airline gaffe

Kev3188 said:
What all does "resetting" entail?
Normally, not much -- you close off and arm the door going into the domestic or departures portion of the terminal corridor, and make sure you've got the doors open to the arrivals corridor leading to the FIS. Takes but a few seconds at the 30+ or so airports I've done observations in over the past few years (not as a passenger..), and can't imagine that DL's terminal in JFK is any different.

The ramp tower has nothing to do with converting a gate from domestic to int'l use. It was an undoubtedly an ACS screw up and someone will have to answer for it.

Is it the first time it has happened for DL or any other airline? no. Should it be the last? by all means.

DL's loads on LHR-JFK are comparable to other carriers based on DOT data so obviously other carriers operate 20% LFs on certain days as well.

int'l flights mid-week in the winter often have very low loads and that is even after fairly aggressive cancellations.

Reactions: 2 people
the ramp tower should of known where to put the intl flight  and the crew im sure has cues and aids in the cockpit to help in locating the proper gate for the plane     not to mention the ramp and gate agent might of become a bit of concern when the plane did not show up at the gate without some sort of notice   it took a baggage claim agent to tell the pax they were in the wrong area

robbed,
the gates at JFK have massive numbers.

The issue is apparently that someone didn't lock one set of doors and open another. That is not the ramp tower's fault.

And I would bet that it means that DL will have to spend more money on some electronic systems that prove to the government that they have properly secured the right doors.

T4 existed before DL became the primary tenant. Apparently it was never built with systems that could electronically verify that the right doors were locked or not locked.

Reactions: 3 people
WorldTraveler said:
The ramp tower has nothing to do with converting a gate from domestic to int'l use.
Had anyone tried to show any correlation?

I thought there were 2 tangents running concurrently within the thread. Happens a lot around here.

WorldTraveler said:
is apparently that someone didn't lock one set of doors and open another. That is not the ramp tower's fault.

And I would bet that it means that DL will have to spend more money on some electronic systems that prove to the government that they have properly secured the right doors.
If that's the case, then IMO the solution isn't electronics, but more of need to address the human factors at play. DL's real good at adding layers that don't add actual value...

WorldTraveler said:
How about ensuring the American public that Delta does not allow people to bypass customs?

It sounds like a complete breakdown of proper arrival and deplaning of an international flight by the agents and/or crew.

The only time "the government" requires such things is when an airline does not follow its own established policies, regulations, and procedures.

the government does a lot of things solely out of the off chance that someone might be doing something wrong. You don't tap into billions of phone calls and emails of people who have no connection whatsoever with any type of criminal activity.

Yes, DL needs to fix its process... but the way the government can know with certainty that a door is properly locked is to have electronic displays showing what flight is at what gate and if the locks are properly configured.

And what does the NSA have to do with Delta letting passengers on an International flight skip going through Customs?

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
the government does a lot of things solely out of the off chance that someone might be doing something wrong. You don't tap into billions of phone calls and emails of people who have no connection whatsoever with any type of criminal activity.
Oh please.

You forgot to throw in Obamacare.

Reactions: 3 people
WorldTraveler said:
Is it the first time it has happened for DL or any other airline? no. Should it be the last? by all means.

I could only find one instance of this happening, it was in WestJet YYZ....

Someone at DL had to have literally left the door open for them-- every international gate I've ever been though is armed with all sorts of alarms, bells and whistles if opened without authorization.