Delta Res Moving to India....?

usresman

Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
What is this I hear that delta will be farming out some of their reservations funtions to companies based in the Phillipines and India. What does this mean for the current res folks? How many centers does DL have? Looks like you should have taken a union contract when you could have.....

I think it's the Best Western motel chain that has
inmates at a correctional facility staffing their phones. That would make a lot more sense than
farming res out overseas.

British Airways also uses the call center in India.
I'm really in Bangalore, but I'm not suppose to tell you that.

They are not supposed to tell you because if mainstream america knew it they wouldn't do business with them. JC Penny has a call center for billing in India I haven't been to a Penny's in years. And to add inslut to injury the countries they send these jobs to are not even allies with the US.

come on Leo give me a break

The company that I bought my computer from uses an Indian company for tech support. The are a lot better to deal with than Microsoft customer non-support. Hopefully DAL will continue to find ways to save money.

To all of our non-union employee groups who do not have job protection: stop drinking the DAL Kool Aid and get a union before you job ends up in some Third World dump.

[P]A lot of American companies are using Indian centers for both call center and email center support. A few other big names are General Electric, Dell, FedEx, AltaVista, Household Credit, and Citibank. I've been preaching for several years that another category of US jobs (also in the UK and Canada) is going to end up overseas, but most people think that the accent and language will cause problems. Wrong. India has one of the largest populations of English speakers in the world and wages that are only 15-20% of the US's. Wired had an article last year about how the Indian centers operate, including how they work to make Americans believe that they work in the US.[/P]
[P][A href=http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,44382,00.html]http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,44382,00.html[/A][/P]

My former employer from a couple years ago, America Online, just launched a call center in India. They have also had ones in the Phillipines and Australia for years. This is in addition to their 5 owned centers in the US that continue to grow and 15 outsourced centers.

Unions will not protect these jobs -- when you talk in terms of call centers, unions are what harm the stability of maintain call centers and keeping them profitable. At AOL benefits were great and the pay was based on performance and not senoirity -- which allowed for people to move up quicker and also helped to contribute to a better moral than what you would find anywhere else.

Another key thing, most call center operations do require all employees to sign a contract with the company restricting their ability to attempt to organize any union at the company. Personally I have seen several people terminated immediately once it was leaked out that they were trying to form a union.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/10/2002 1:50:15 PM usresman wrote:

A union would protect these jobs, its in the "SCOPE" of almost every CWA contract.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Not really. Instead of having jobs outsourced to India, the union folks just get indefinite layoffs. How many res folks have been furloughed at US? How many will ever be recalled? Judging by US's shrunken size and the continued growth of on-line booking....I suspect many will never be recalled. Unions or not, the number of res. agents at all the majors (WN excluded) will be shrinking.

Should note that as of now DL is not laying off any res. agents. Of course that may change in the future.

No, a union can't do everything for you, but it gives you the chance to develope job security through scope of operations language. That is better than being employeed at will in most cases. I am a member of the Airline Pilots Association, and I feel that our union has enhanced the quality of the airline pilot profession. Please tell me how this union has hurt the quality of DAL's product?

The problem with the theory of union protection (as far as telephone/online customer support goes) is that the potential for outsourcing blows it all out of the water. Let's assume the company isn't willing to comply with the union's contract demands or decides to take a strike. They've got a pretty good amount of lead time to get things up and running with a third party support center in India or wherever. Whether or not the call center agents actually do strike, the company can muster the resources to simply lock them out and shift over to the outsourcing company. Things probably wouldn't be as efficient for several months, but long-term the company saves enough money to make it worthwhile.

Union-busting? Yup. Realistic scenario? Yup.

Why can't Delta farm it out to inmates in the US, like BW does? They could learn some skills while they do their time, and imagine the MUSAK....

la la la la Thank you for waiting. All of your inmates are currently assisting other Skyteam members, please wait and your call will be transferred to the next available cell; la la la

Delta has 20 Reservation Contact Centers in locations around the world where approximately 7,000 employees handle 120 million customer contacts annually. Delta Contact Centers are located in Atlanta and Augusta, Ga., Huntsville and Montgomery, Ala.; Dallas; Boston; Cincinnati; Miami and Tampa, Fla.; Salt Lake City; Los Angeles; London; Istanbul, Turkey; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Montreal; Santiago, Chile; Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia; Mumbai, India; and Tokyo.

My brother in law works for Microsoft in Utah, at a call center, and this past weekend was informed that the center was shutting down because they are routing the calls to India.

Try calling Microsoft support and understanding the person on the other end.

Latest posts