Delta To Charge Employees More For Medical If Not Vaccinated

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Oh boy. This should trigger some outrage. Now, if this goes thru, it looks like Delta will try and force their employees to get vaccinated by hitting them in their wallets. $200 more per monthly for medical if you don't get vaccinated. Hmmm. Discrimination? Maybe. Extortion? Maybe.
Sure, it's your choice rather to get vaccinated or not, however, it'll cost ya until you do get vaccinated, WoW!

Yeah, gotta question whether that approach and logic holds up.

What I'm told is that >20% of TechOps employees at DL aren't vaccinated and have no intention of it. I suspect similar numbers between AMT's and ramp agents at other airlines, which will make life interesting if UA has to follow thru and fire 20% of their mechanics (a sure way to ground the airline...).

It's a dangerous precedent. DL's claiming it costs $40K for a COVID hospitalization, but how much is DL currently paying out for lifetime smokers who wind up with cancer?... Alcoholics who wind up with liver failure?.... Targeting one specific behavior/lack of action and the potential costs of getting hospitalized seems quite discriminatory if you're not doing the same for other illnesses caused by deliberate actions the employee is engaging in.

Reactions: swamt
Does Boeing prohibit sick time from being used for lost time due to smoking related cancer treatments?...

Yeah, Delta's not allowing that apparently. They'll want a doctors note that you didn't have Covid.

My doctor would tell them it's none of their business why I was sick, and that the reason he said I couldn't go to work was doctor-patient privilege.

That’s not accurate, E.

and honestly, I’d bet 99.9% of those vaxxed have already self disclosed. To not do so would’ve meant leaving a lot of $$$ on the table.

Yeah, Delta's not allowing that apparently. They'll want a doctors note that you didn't have Covid.

My doctor would tell them it's none of their business why I was sick, and that the reason he said I couldn't go to work was doctor-patient privilege.
Boeing is very employee friendly to a fault. at least they used to be.

Oh boy. This should trigger some outrage. Now, if this goes thru, it looks like Delta will try and force their employees to get vaccinated by hitting them in their wallets. $200 more per monthly for medical if you don't get vaccinated. Hmmm. Discrimination? Maybe. Extortion? Maybe.
Sure, it's your choice rather to get vaccinated or not, however, it'll cost ya until you do get vaccinated, WoW!

It's called coercion.

"The practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats."

Again, how American.

It's called coercion.

"The practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats."

Again, how American.
Understand.
My co. is doing the same, but in a different manner. They are rewarding the folks that get vaccinated with 2 days pay, swag points ($) and time off preferences for those that are vaxed if they get it or come into an exposure ordeal.
Not saying they won't add to it by charging more for the non-vaccinated in medical fees, but let's hope they won't get to that, because that could stay with you for life and you never even got it.

No one’s being “coerced.” All DL employees have a choice.

Kev , I am vaccinated But I do not agree with this.. Would be different if this vaccine offered decent protection. But it doesn't Delta variant is infecting vaccinated and unvaccinated. The people I know are just as sick vaccinated or not. Plus they do not give any relief to people who have had covid who have better protection than vaccinated people do. Too political.

These vaccines lower one's risk of serious illness/death by a huge margin. There's simply no denying that. All one has to do is take a look at the vax status of those currently in the ICU vs. those riding out the equivalent of a bad cold.

That aside, my point on choice stands. People may not like the options they've been presented, but they absolutely get to choose what they do next.

A. Get vaxxed
B. Stay unvaxxed and pay $2400/yr (if on a DL medical plan), wear a mask, and deal with weekly testing.
C. Hit the bricks

Reactions: JREwing
Kev , I am vaccinated But I do not agree with this.. Would be different if this vaccine offered decent protection. But it doesn't Delta variant is infecting vaccinated and unvaccinated. The people I know are just as sick vaccinated or not. Plus they do not give any relief to people who have had covid who have better protection than vaccinated people do. Too political.
What is your source?

Last edited:
These vaccines lower one's risk of serious illness/death by a huge margin. There's simply no denying that. All one has to do is take a look at the vax status of those currently in the ICU vs. those riding out the equivalent of a bad cold.

Do they?

Delta is far more contagious, yet statistically, fewer people appear to be dying. It's a scientific fact that variants become less pathogenic as they become more contagious.

The numbers that get attention appear to serve a purpose - scaring people into submission.

Theres a big difference between people being in hospitals WITH Covid and people in hospitals FROM Covid. Many are asymptomatic but only find out they have the virus when they're tested on admittance.

Likewise, people are dying WITH Covid but not necessarily FROM Covid. That's been a huge problem with the reporting since the beginning.

When the reporting focuses on high level data without that extra context, you have to wonder why...