Delta to serve all 50 states!

732guy

Advanced
Jul 11, 2004
2 flights a day to Wilmington. big woop! Residents of Wilmington already have a huge international airport - PHL.

Delta to Become Only Airline to Serve All 50 States with Addition of Service to Wilmington, Del.

Atlanta-Wilmington route latest milestone in restructuring of Delta's domestic network

WILMINGTON, Del., March 23, 2006 (PRIMEZONE) -- Delaware -- the United States' first state -- is set to become the 50th state to enjoy non-stop air service from Delta Air Lines. Effective June 29, Delta Connection carrier Atlantic Southeast Airlines will add two daily non-stop flights between Delta's largest hub at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Wilmington, Del., making Delta the only airline to offer customers service to all 50 states.

``Delta is proud to become the only airline to offer our customers service in every state of the country where they live, play and do business'' said Bob Cortelyou, vice president - Network Planning. ``As we restructure our network to better meet customers' needs for domestic and international travel, Delta customers can count on us to take them to more places at home and abroad than any other U.S. airline thanks to the reach and convenience of our increasingly global network.''

In addition to offering service to 50 states, Delta also holds the distinction of being the largest airline in the United States in terms of domestic destinations served with flights planned to more than 240 domestic destinations with the July 2006 schedule.

Delta's new service between Atlanta and Wilmington, which will be operated using quiet and comfortable 40-seat Bombardier CRJ aircraft, will be available for sale today at delta.com.

Apparently this was a surprise to more than a few people.

According to a piece on delawareonline, Jim Salmon, the airport spokesman, said he had not heard of Delta's plans to serve the airport. Delta spokeswoman Gina Laughlin said she did not know how long the company had been planning to serve Wilmington or when they started talking to airport officials.

It's not DL mainline. If you use this senario then there are a few airlines that serve all 50 states. Who cares. :down:

I don't care whether DL or anyone else serves all 60 states if they can do it profitably. My beef w/ UA is that they tried to serve all 50 states and fly around the world obviously with prestige in mind. Both efforts failed.

I doubt if there is a whole lot at risk in flying to Wilmington DE and it might actually be worth something. After all, a large percentage of US corportations are chartered in Delaware.

Gotta go work 685 in from LGA....due on the deck in a minute.

I don't care whether DL or anyone else serves all 60 states if they can do it profitably. My beef w/ UA is that they tried to serve all 50 states and fly around the world obviously with prestige in mind. Both efforts failed.

I doubt if there is a whole lot at risk in flying to Wilmington DE and it might actually be worth something. After all, a large percentage of US corportations are chartered in Delaware.

Gotta go work 685 in from LGA....due on the deck in a minute.

Why do you have a beef with United? Were you a share holder? Did you work for them?

At the time UA was serving all 50 states they were profitable for the most part, iin fact so much so that they were buying back stock and attempting to purchase US. Albeit poor judgment by management in hindsight. BTW prestige is a valuable marketing asset.

Your satement about working 685 is confusing (to me). Are you a Delta employee which I beleve you have denied in the past? Correct me if I'm wrong.

WT...your creditablity has sunk so far that it might be beyond repair.
Your constant spinning of all bad for UAL and all good for Delta is, to put it kindly, pitiful.

George decided Canada was easier to deal with than the Middle East. Canada is now a part of the US. Happened at 12.01 a.m. yesterday.

:)

And I work for UA as their Vice-President of Employee Morale. We had a morale problem on flight 685 in from LGA last night so I had to meet it. Turned out a couple doses of Midol took care of the problem.

My beef with UA is now as it has always been that UA had the most expansive route system in the world and has allowed it to erode. UA also thinks that holding extensive rights in Asia and at LHR - the two most restrictive areas of the world for US carriers - will ensure their success. My point is that UA is only dominant to LHR from the west coast and IAD and to Asia from most cities that are not other carriers' hubs. UA is not a factor to Latin America or Europe outside of its hubs. UA has said they will serve only routes where they can be profitable which is fine but there is a whole bunch of low fare competition breathing down UA's neck domestically. UA will lose the domestic market too if it doesn't get itself in a position to win. I think UA's situation is very sad but I'd like to hope some UA people here would get mad enough about it that they will go demand that their management reverse the slide. Look at how far US has slid because they took so long to get in a position to compete. While they figured out what to do, other carriers cut US's market share on the east coast dramatically and they were forced to merge with another carrier in order to find the financial resources to survive as well as to regain enough nationwide share to be significant. I would not like to see UA grow to that point but that is what will happen if current trends are not turned around.

I think UA's situation is very sad but I'd like to hope some UA people here would get mad enough about it that they will go demand that their management reverse the slide.
That's so big-hearted of you.

So tomorrow, a F/A reading your stuff should go into her inflight supervisor's office before her next flight and say, what, "Gee, you know, I'm mad. I DEMAND you tell Tilton to REVERSE THE SLIDE! Thank you." Seems pretty simple! Why didn't anyone at UA think of that before?

You're a never-ending source of inspirational advise, WT. I am sure the employees of UA are very grateful for your wisdom.

Let's get this back on subject, folks, which is Delta serving all 50 states, not United.

Feel free to start another thread on the UA board if you want to continue the discussion about UA's history and their "50 state" experience.

Thank you.

So, how many states do other carriers fly to? I know NW and/or Airlink fly to 49. I also find it ironic that we're incorporated in the one state we don't service (Delaware).

ILG may not have had commercial service for a long time but the area is a fairly decent business market. I don't think DL will have too much trouble filling 80 seats a day. And there enough leisure passengers who would either be willing to pay a slight premium for somewhat more convenient service or who would have to connect regardless of what airport they fly from.

ILG may not have had commercial service for a long time but the area is a fairly decent business market. I don't think DL will have too much trouble filling 80 seats a day. And there enough leisure passengers who would either be willing to pay a slight premium for somewhat more convenient service or who would have to connect regardless of what airport they fly from.

===========================================================

World Traveler,
Your post(above) is a reasonable assumtion !!

WT, you've got me a bit "Vexed"

IF you are a UA employee, and your disgusted with the way your employeer "operates", THATS FINE BY ME !!!

(I personally like UA, to a point)

What really's got me scratching my head, is you jumping on(of all airlines)NON Union DL ??

As an AA recent retiree, if I were pissed at American(Which I do, a fair amount of the time), I doubt I'd be "singing the praises of DL.
(more likely UA/CO or NW), because those carriers are more similiar to AA.

I Find DL, as a worldwide airline, somewhat of an Inigma !
(ZERO ASIA) !!!!!!!!

But finally I applaud you for "coming out"(But I still can't "grasp the DL lovefest)

NH/BB's