DEN-MEX, Another New Once-Weekly Seasonal Route

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I guess United didn''t want Mexicana to have all the fun on this route[:p]. Actually, United flew this route for a while in the 1990s, but stopped it a few years back (although I''m not sure exactly when).
Anyway, here''s the press release.

I don't know why United is doing this.

DEN-MEX is not a seasonal route, nor a route traveled greatly on Saturdays. It's primarily a business route, and business is never seasonal.

Mexicana is upgrading there current 4x weekly service to daily in November. I don't see why United is bothering with this service.

Seasonal fine, but Saturday only? Give me a break.....

I can understand Seasonal and Saturday only for KOA, but not for MEX.

Interesting to note, that Mexicana might add a 2nd daily MEX-DEN flight next year......

Regards

When we flew this route before I remember hearing that there was a lot of skier traffic from MEX to the Rockies, justifying winter weekends only.

I can't stand by the accuracy of that justification but that is what I remember. Though I am a few years older now and they say the memory is the second thing to go...

UA777DEN,

The forecast makes it a worthwhile undertaking. Besides, it's basically utilization flying anyhow.

Interesting to note that Mexicana's flight to Denver is 100% O&D, no passenger connections.

Why you ask? Because the flight arrives in Denver at 8:50PM. United's last departure from Denver is 9:00PM.

If you can make a 10 minute connection from an international flight, I'll be impressed. [:)]

Note, that it takes at least 30 minutes to clear US Customs and Immigrations in Denver. [:)] [:)] [:)]

----------------
On 8/21/2002 12:22:42 PM

Interesting to note that Mexicana's flight to Denver is 100% O&D, no passenger connections.

Why you ask? Because the flight arrives in Denver at 8:50PM. United's last departure from Denver is 9:00PM.
How do you know they're all originating in MEX?

----------------
On 8/22/2002 6:22:55 PM
I never said they are all originating from MEX.

I said all the passengers departing from MEX are Denver bound passengers and none make connections in DEN.
----------------
[:0] Did I miss something? You said earlier, "Interesting to note that Mexicana's flight to Denver is 100% O&D, no passenger connections."

I guess I am just a stupid passenger b/c I always thought that "MEX-DEN 100% O&D" meant that everyone starts in MEX, and everyone stops in DEN.

Solely, not making a connection at DEN doesn't make it 100% O&D. Starting in MEX and ending in DEN does.

I disagree w/ the 100% statement.
A) You don't know where everyone originates.
B) People can stopover in DEN w/ a connection the next day.

Both of these possibilities completely shoot down your comment that the MX MEX-DEN flight is "100% O&D".

chexfan,

What's with the attitude? If you want to argue with something I said, at least be polite. Sheesh.....

First of all, I'm talking about 100% on the DEN end. You should have known that's what I meant.

We are talking about the flight TO DEN here. Not TO MEX.

Very few people from the Mexicana flight are going to sleep on the Denver flight to make connections the next morning. Especially since it's simply a domestic connection which can be made in various other United gateways such as LAX, SFO, ORD, and IAD, not DEN.

Plus you have Continental's hub in Houston (IAH) (which is probably the best) and American's hubs in Los Angeles (LAX) and Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW).

DEN is not a very good gateway if you are coming from Mexico and want to go to somewhere in the US.

I sure as heck would not want to spend 2 days traveling to get from Mexico to somewhere in the US and I know many others wouldn't either. Because in 2 days, you can get to Asia or the Middle East from Mexico.

Drop the attitude next time, or else you won't be getting anymore replies from me.

Could we be expecting to get *A feed from mexicana out of MEX? I'm not familiar enough with their operation to say. Say someone flying XXX-MEX-DEN ? If it's 100% O&D for us, and it fills up, then kudos to us, as that would be a moneymaker.

GGpillow,

Yes, from the MEX end, I am sure their are many people connecting from various places in Mexico and even South America.

However, I was only talking about the DEN end.

----------------
chexfan,

What's with the attitude? If you want to argue with something I said, at least be polite. Sheesh.....
----------------
Which comments don't you feel were polite? I thought my disagreement was presented in a very civil, cool-tempered, level-headed, mature manner.

----------------
First of all, I'm talking about 100% on the DEN end. You should have known that's what I meant.
----------------
Umm... how am I supposed to know what you mean, when you type something else? "On the DEN end"??? What exactly does that have to do with O_&_d?

AGAIN... you stated:
"Mexicana's flight [from MEX] to Denver is 100% O&D, no passenger connections."

On two occasions you, yourself, have admitted that this statement isn't true. A simple retraction/edit/deletion of "the MEX-DEN flight being 100% O&D" statement is all that is required b/c I do not feel you understand what that phrase means.

To this point, I have presented options disproving your claim. All I am asking is for a presentation of facts to support yours. As to now, you haven't.

----------------
On 8/20/2002 6:55:28 PM

I don't know why United is doing this.

DEN-MEX is not a seasonal route, nor a route traveled greatly on Saturdays. It's primarily a business route, and business is never seasonal.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I am baffled. Saturday isn't even the strongest day to MEX.

I wonder if we are missing something. As you may know, DIA is paying Mexicana $1m to fly daily to Mexico City. United has lots of surplus planes on Saturday, while Mexicana is the opposite since they fly to a lot of sun/sand cities. Perhaps MX is going to pull Saturday to fly ZIH or SJD and UA is going to cover for them so they still have daily service to get the $1m.

chexfan,

Read that sentence again.

I said 100% O&D TO DEN. We are not talking about MEX here. We are ONLY talking about DEN.

When the flight departs Mexico City (MEX), every single one of those passengers are going TO Denver and are not making ANY connections with United in Denver. That's what I said, and that's what I meant.

I never said anything about the passengers originating in Mexico. I am sure many of them are coming from various places in Mexico. But that was not what I was talking about.