DL and UA make midwest to Asia 744 heaven

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
Showing DL and UA's resolve to maintain their market position from the US Midwest to Asia, UA has changed ORD-PEK to a 744 for the winter. DL had already upgraded its DTW-Asia flying to largely 744s for the winter - with the exception of DTW-PEK.

Between DL and UA, ORD and DTW to Asia will be dominated by 744s. Since the 744s at both DL and UA might not be around for a many more years, this might be a good year to plan a trip to Asia on DL or UA via the midwest.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/07/29/ua-ordpek-w14/

http://airlineroute.net/2014/06/28/dl-w14update1/

I hate to be a pr!ck and go off topic, but clicking the OPs link you'll see that a part of DLs operational changes in DTW involves using a B777-200LR on the DTW-AMS route.  I'm williing to wager that if it was another carrier doing this, somebody would be on these boards telling us the WholeTruthTM about the inappropriateness of that size of aircraft on a route on that distance.  But I digress. :D

Reactions: 7 people
That is a very heavy, very long-range aircraft for such a short route (3,940 miles).   Doesn't DL management grasp the importance of correctly matching the plane to the mission?   

Frankly, I'm surprised that DL isn't using a 757 on that route in the winter.   

Reactions: 3 people
Well they are now chartering an oil tanker, maybe they will use the 717 and use a KC-135 for inflight refueling for the DTW to PEK routes.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate to be a pr!ck and go off topic, but clicking the OPs link you'll see that a part of DLs operational changes in DTW involves using a B777-200LR on the DTW-AMS route.  I'm williing to wager that if it was another carrier doing this, somebody would be on these boards telling us the WholeTruthTM about the inappropriateness of that size of aircraft on a route on that distance.  But I digress. :D
yes, you digress.

NW before and now DL has used a TPAC arriving aircraft to do a Europe flight because it is possible to "squeeze" a TATL flight in what would be time that the TPAC plane would otherwise be on the ground.

WorldTraveler said:
yes, you digress.

NW before and now DL has used a TPAC arriving aircraft to do a Europe flight because it is possible to "squeeze" a TATL flight in what would be time that the TPAC plane would otherwise be on the ground.

You're sure quick to circle the wagons.

Reactions: 3 people
it just happens to be the fact.

NW did the very same thing as what you think is DL should not do.

are they actually being retired or just parked for the winter.... and given the RFP for widebody aircraft, it begs the question if DL has obtained a sourced of some bridge aircraft that will allow for smaller gauge but longer haul int'l growth.

There are 4 new 333s coming into service next year which could be a one for one replacement but it leaves DL either in a no growth position in long haul int'l or there is a plan to pull the 777s off of the TATL flights they are now operating to allow for long haul growth.

I'm suspecting a combination of both.

In reading the letter posted it looks very doubtful they are coming back.  
And yes no new wide body a/c until spring. 

I remember working on a shiny new 747-400 just delivered. No finer experience signing the maintenance release after a check, greeting the crew and pax in the jetway, assisting the rampers buttoning up, pushing her back, watching the taxi, then seeing her lift off to great destinations.

That is why we do what we do and will always fly, or watch them fly.

Reactions: 2 people